Sox sign Podsednik to MLC

Sockin

If Pods is seen to be real slow in Charlotte though, he'll stay down there.

At absolute worst they would prefer Owens as a pinch runner if no one can do anything. Although I guess Lillibridge covers that for them when Getz returns.

Maybe Pods could be a 4th OF but if so they better make sure BL can play centerfield

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 09:19 AM)
If Pods is seen to be real slow in Charlotte though, he'll stay down there.

At absolute worst they would prefer Owens as a pinch runner if no one can do anything. Although I guess Lillibridge covers that for them when Getz returns.

Maybe Pods could be a 4th OF but if so they better make sure BL can play centerfield

Pods is playing CF in Charlotte. He also played some CF with Colorado last year. If he doesn't get hurt in Charlotte, I expect him with the White Sox in a week or so unless Owens dazzles.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 09:23 AM)
Pods is playing CF in Charlotte. He also played some CF with Colorado last year. If he doesn't get hurt in Charlotte, I expect him with the White Sox in a week or so unless Owens dazzles.

I agree, also keep in mind Pods still has some friends on this team who are in high positions of locker room power. I'm sure they'll push Ozzie for Pods over Owens if they have the opportunity to do so. I know I would if I was on the team and a friend of mine came back to the team under a minor league deal.

This reminds me like in 2005 when we brought back Greg Norton to be an insurance policy in the minors when Crede got hurt. Just helping out an old friend get back on their feet. If it works out great, if not, it could show pods can still play, stay healthy, and get picked up by another team next year

QUOTE (BearSox @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 11:29 AM)
Who has a stronger arm, Pods or Owens? It's a close one, but I give the nod to Pods.

I'd agree. But Owens is a better outfielder in every other aspect, I believe. Not by a lot though, and honestly, we're comparing two not very good outfielders here anyway.

Although I follow the Sox pretty thoroughly, I'm probably not the best when it comes to minor league talent...or those in the minors because they have not performed in a Sox jersey. I do however have strong feelings about Owens. I have not seen anything from him that would make me think he's a better choice as a 4th OF than Pods. Okay, so he's younger and maybe faster. But he can't hit, his base-stealing mechanics are not very good, and he's not a great defensive player.

I, along with a few other Sox fans, want to look at Pods of 2005 and hope we see that again. In reality it won't happen. But, I would be willing to bet that he would be better than most think. I hope he gets the chance.

I just become ill whenever I hear about Owens. And although I was not abject to Wise being the starter, I now see that he wasn't the right choice either. My belief is that Anderson should start and Pods should be the 4th OF.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 11:39 AM)
It's close. Owens gets horrific reads, but Pods reads aren't much better. I'd say it's a draw because of how Pods like to prance around all the time.

I think Owens gets better reads than he is given credit for. During his time in 2007, he improved noticeably during the season in that regard.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 11:52 AM)
I think Owens gets better reads than he is given credit for. During his time in 2007, he improved noticeably during the season in that regard.

Owens is a much better OF imo. I thought he did just fine playing cf when he was around in 07(minus the girly arm).

Troy Renck from the Denver Post was on the radio this morning and he had a few interesting things to say I suppose.

1.) Scott Podsednik no longer profiles as a starting CF (shocking, I know). Teams weren't all that interested in him (he's been sitting at home for 2 weeks) because he's pretty much a full time LF at this point in his career.

2.) He really struggled with his pinch hitting duties in Colorado. I looked it up and he's right. 9 for 50 w/ 6:12 BB:K, .180/.281/.220/.501

3.) Injuries weren't an issue for him at all in Colorado. He changed his workout routine and got down to something like 1% body fat (I doubt it) and managed to stay healthy for the whole season. He only got 181 PA and 25 starts over the course of the season, not much of a chance to injure himself.

In other words: not much of note.

The latest from Cowley:

The San Francisco Giants are looking to unload the $44 million they still owe Aaron Rowand through 2012. The one problem? The Giants would have to be willing to pick up a big chunk of the deal to even get Williams on the phone.

Another option coming from the demented mind of yours' truly? How about pitching starved Washington getting Lance Broadway from the Sox for ... drum roll please ... Willie Harris? At least once Harris gets off the DL with a strained oblique.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 05:40 PM)
It just reminds me of how much I hate watching him hit. He works counts well because he just doesn't swing the bat. For his career he's only swung at 36.7% of his total pitches seen. Last year that would have been the 4th lowest swing% of the 343 players who had at least 200 PA. He makes contact at a very high rate; his 88.1% number would put him in the upper 14 percentile of qualified hitters last year but he chooses to just watch pitches. For his career only 7% of his total strikes are from him swinging and missing while 38% are looking. That's why back in '05 and '06 50% of his strikeouts (total: 171 K) were looking. He's incredibly disciplined, anyone who watches 63%+ of pitches into the glove has to be but his strikezone vision isn't great. Good discipline + poor zone vision = bat on shoulder approach. He doesn't really draw walks but 8 to 9 percent of his plate appearances will likely end in him jogging to 1st.

He would have been fifth actually...

QUOTE (tommy @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 02:54 AM)
Aaron Rowand would look great on this team right now.

Ummmm...no. If we can't sign Orlando Hudson and Bob Abreu for less than Rowand makes per year (combined they'd still be lower), why would we add a player we wanted to get rid of three years ago who is no longer in the prime of his career and is declining from all the wear and tear on his body?

Not to mention he's not a leadoff hitter either. Let's face it, our best option at leadoff is not Milledge, Pods and Rowand...it's Gordon Beckham. The sooner KW and the FO give in to that notion, the better off this team will be.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 08:52 PM)
Troy Renck from the Denver Post was on the radio this morning and he had a few interesting things to say I suppose.

1.) Scott Podsednik no longer profiles as a starting CF (shocking, I know). Teams weren't all that interested in him (he's been sitting at home for 2 weeks) because he's pretty much a full time LF at this point in his career.

Obviously KW doesn't care...he did sign Ken Griffey Jr to play CF last year

"Ummmm...no. If we can't sign Orlando Hudson and Bob Abreu for less than Rowand makes per year (combined they'd still be lower), why would we add a player we wanted to get rid of three years ago who is no longer in the prime of his career and is declining from all the wear and tear on his body?"

Although I agree that it's too much money for Rowand, I don't think we wanted to get rid of him three years ago. I seem to remember his being traded to be a shock to most. I feel that if a big chuck of his salary was picked up Rowand would look great on this team right now. He could be our starting CF, but probably not the leadoff hitter. So, I suppose it only solves one issue. But one issue solved is better than none.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 08:52 PM)

2.) He really struggled with his pinch hitting duties in Colorado. I looked it up and he's right. 9 for 50 w/ 6:12 BB:K, .180/.281/.220/.501

3.) Injuries weren't an issue for him at all in Colorado. He changed his workout routine and got down to something like 1% body fat (I doubt it) and managed to stay healthy for the whole season. He only got 181 PA and 25 starts over the course of the season, not much of a chance to injure himself.

In other words: not much of note.

1% body fat is a trip to the hospital, the body isn't meant to function that way. Even the people I've seen/known who were insane about being fit were in the 4-5% range. He was clearly exaggerating for effect.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 04:32 AM)
Let's face it, our best option at leadoff is not Milledge, Pods and Rowand...it's Gordon Beckham. The sooner KW and the FO give in to that notion, the better off this team will be.

I agree with this 100%. This team becomes a lot more dangerous with Beckham's bat replacing that of Anderson/Wise/Pods/Owens in the lineup.