Sox sign Podsednik to MLC

Sockin

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 07:55 AM)
1% body fat is a trip to the hospital, the body isn't meant to function that way. Even the people I've seen/known who were insane about being fit were in the 4-5% range. He was clearly exaggerating for effect.

I believe anything under 8% is considered unhealthy, at least that's what I've always gone by.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 11:07 AM)
Don't tease me like that :lol:

He's hitting about as well as Frank would if he were on the team. Sorry Thome lovers but he's done. Yeah he'll have a few HRs this year but I'll be amazed if he hits .250.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 11:08 AM)
He's hitting about as well as Frank would if he were on the team. Sorry Thome lovers but he's done. Yeah he'll have a few HRs this year but I'll be amazed if he hits .250.

i just hope that next year, we dont have such a slow team again. thome-dye-pk-aj,etc . when thome leaves at the end of the year, who will take his place? any options?

He was late on three identical low-90s fastballs from Balfour. I agree, Big Jim is toast.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 09:11 AM)
i just hope that next year, we dont have such a slow team again. thome-dye-pk-aj,etc . when thome leaves at the end of the year, who will take his place? any options?

Given how the market worked this year, there's a number of potential options on the market who may be quite a bit cheaper than what we currently have. Dye or Thome could probably be resigned at around $5-$6 million for a year. Number of potential candidates on the market. Carlos Delgado ($16 million option), Mike Sweeney (Seattle), Troy Glaus, Cliff Floyd, Vlad Guerrero, Andruw Jones, possibly Manny Ramirez, etc. Also have a number of options sitting down at AA, depending on how guys like Viciedo and Allen do this year.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 09:17 AM)
thats what i think they should do, put jd as the dh and they better not resign thome too though. all those options listed above, its the same problem=no speed.

If a player has good speed, then in general, why do I want them at my DH slot? Usually good speed translates to an ability to cover a lot of ground playing defense. If I gave you the list of guys with good speed who are potential FA's after this season (ORlando Hudson, Coco Crisp, Chone Figgins, etc.) they wind up being solid athletes who are probably going to be better on defense than the other guys we'd be playing anyway.

When he gets hurt this season (which will happen) I hope they bring up Allen to DH.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 11:17 AM)
thats what i think they should do, put jd as the dh and they better not resign thome too though. all those options listed above, its the same problem=no speed.

A speedy team is nice but you still need balance. The only problem with the lack of speed on this team right now is it is bunched together 4 through is 7. The other guys are plenty fast enough. AJ should bat ninth and Fields fifth......problem is who bats second?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 12:08 PM)

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 12:12 PM)
He was late on three identical low-90s fastballs from Balfour. I agree, Big Jim is toast.

He's not done. A lot of people were saying the same thing last year too. Jim Thome hit .216 / .361 / .420 in March and April last year, and we had the same "he's done" posts. He may be in decline (as his OPS has declined two straight years), but he's not done.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 11:25 AM)
A speedy team is nice but you still need balance. The only problem with the lack of speed on this team right now is it is bunched together 4 through is 7. The other guys are plenty fast enough. AJ should bat ninth and Fields fifth......problem is who bats second?

wel i dont mean speed as in roberts type speed. just that we need players that have atleast avg speed like cq, not way below avg speed like we have now. and like u said, its all bunched up. 2 of the four have to go.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 02:05 PM)
I believe anything under 8% is considered unhealthy, at least that's what I've always gone by.

Depends on body type and what kind of athlete they are. Lots of athletes come in way under 8%, I think Tiger Woods is something around 5%, and Lance Armstrong is even lower. I don't think anyone would consider them unhealthy. Many runners and cyclists and the like can get into the 3-4% range.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 11:12 AM)

I don't really remember Thome ever getting on the fastball over his hands. Down at the knees he hits them a mile, up, not so much. But I seem to remember that as his MO for his career. It seems like he just isn't laying off of that pitch for a ball anymore.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 12:12 PM)

This was the same as people said last year. Thome will be fine if he's healthy. That said, he has to be moved from the 4 spot.