GradySizemore 2nd best CFer ever? I thought only Hawk believed that..

caulfield12

The baseball blog "Bleacher Report" is often interesting, but to already claim Cleveland Indians' star Grady Sizemore is on track to be the second-best center fielder ever does not help its credibility.

That's not to knock Sizemore, one of baseball's top impact players. Sizemore, now in his fifth full major league season, is going to have to do a lot more, though, and for a long time, to even get into the conversation as one of, say, the 10 best players ever at his position. Let's limit that talk to Mays, Dimaggio, Mantle, Cobb, Griffey, Jr. etc., for now.

It's fun to talk in "all-time" terms, but folly to take a few statistics spanning a few years and translate them into a laughable (for now at least) claim.

Grady Sizemore is on pace to be the second best center fielder of all-time. Some traditionalists may have a problem with this assessment, but look at the numbers.

Over a 162-game season, Sizemore has averaged 40 doubles, eight triples, 27 home runs, and 28 stolen bases. This gives him a total of 103, trailing only Ty Cobb (109) in this production profile.

Similarly, Carlos Beltran has put up numbers that would make him the third best center fielder of all-time.

Yeah, better than Willie Mays.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/155644-...aying-right-now

Link to full article

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 01:57 PM)
The baseball blog "Bleacher Report" is often interesting, but to already claim Cleveland Indians' star Grady Sizemore is on track to be the second-best center fielder ever does not help its credibility.

That's not to knock Sizemore, one of baseball's top impact players. Sizemore, now in his fifth full major league season, is going to have to do a lot more, though, and for a long time, to even get into the conversation as one of, say, the 10 best players ever at his position. Let's limit that talk to Mays, Dimaggio, Mantle, Cobb, Griffey, Jr. etc., for now.

It's fun to talk in "all-time" terms, but folly to take a few statistics spanning a few years and translate them into a laughable (for now at least) claim.

Grady Sizemore is on pace to be the second best center fielder of all-time. Some traditionalists may have a problem with this assessment, but look at the numbers.

Over a 162-game season, Sizemore has averaged 40 doubles, eight triples, 27 home runs, and 28 stolen bases. This gives him a total of 103, trailing only Ty Cobb (109) in this production profile.

Similarly, Carlos Beltran has put up numbers that would make him the third best center fielder of all-time.

Yeah, better than Willie Mays.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/155644-...aying-right-now

Link to full article

Their method is to add up XBH and SB per 162 and value them equally. That's terrible.

Edited by JorgeFabregas

As the past two people have said, you really shouldn't get all worked up over anything posted on Bleacher Report. Any idiot can create an account and post whatever idiotic article full of flawed logic, horrendously one-sided trade ideas or flat-out inaccurate assertions that they feel like writing in their spare time.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 02:35 PM)
As the past two people have said, you really shouldn't get all worked up over anything posted on Bleacher Report. Any idiot can create an account and post whatever idiotic article full of flawed logic, horrendously one-sided trade ideas or flat-out inaccurate assertions that they feel like writing in their spare time.

That's why I find it sooo frustrating when I read a trade rumor on say Google news, a team message board or a blog and the source is 15 year old Trevor from Waukesha Wisconsin who thinks Bill Hall is going to be dealt to the Yankees for Phillip Hughes. I guess on the internet anyone with an email account, 5 free minutes and a wild imagination is a reliable news source.

The only reason I posted it was because the Cleveland Plain Dealer actually picked up on it and included it in one of their blogs (like Hardball at the Tribune)...and because it was about one of their players, they were essentially poking fun or laughing at it, too.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AlJ4...o&type=lgns

CLE and the history of teams starting 1-6...not so good for Indians fans.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 03:39 PM)
This discussion reminds me of this article:

Bench Quentin for Owens

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=64387

At the time, it seemed like an incredibly stupid article. In retrospect, its probably one of the dumbest articles I've ever read.

LOL, I love how you stuck this quote at the end of the article today, thats hilarious

JimH was all over that article, he still wants Ryan Freel

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 02:35 PM)

Yeah, don't get worked up over anything over there, it's all user-generated content. It's irrelevant to an actual discussion.

With that being said there are some sweet articles there (including mine), so I wouldn't completely ignore it but don't get worked up when 15 year olds post stupid stuff. Don't hate Bleacher Report, just hate the idiot that wrote it.

Sizemore is an elite CF, but 2nd best ever. No.

Edited by FedEx227