Lastings Milledge???

dmbjeff

Lastings Milledge was just sent down to AAA. While he struggled in the spring and early on, wouldn't it be worth a gamble to acquire this guy? The Nats seem down on him, but he has alot of upside. Maybe he could be the answer for CF and if not, maybe a Dye replacement in 2010. What would it take to get him?

QUOTE (dmbjeff @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 02:44 AM)
Lastings Milledge was just sent down to AAA. While he struggled in the spring and early on, wouldn't it be worth a gamble to acquire this guy? The Nats seem down on him, but he has alot of upside. Maybe he could be the answer for CF and if not, maybe a Dye replacement in 2010. What would it take to get him?

He could be the leadoff hitter we need with enough pop in his bat to keep a respectable OPS. He played better last year than what we have now, and he is still young with upside. I've heard he is a bit of a head case from discussions about him when he was still a Met. I think he may cost us more than we would be willing to pay. Sox would consider his attitude a negative and figure he would come cheaply since the Nats have a full outfield. The Nats would consider the Sox desperate for a leadoff type and still present Milledge as one of the top prospects in baseball. KW might laugh and drop the phone when they ask for Beckham.

I'd love to get Lastings, but i am concerned by what we might have to give up. Back when Bowden was GM, it would have been highly likely that we could lowball him and hope the guy reacts out of expediency, but from what I’ve heard the new GM won't be fooled that easily. However, if the Nats keeping playing like this a fire sale is likely, then KW can pounce.

BTW, is Ozzie questioning everyone's memory?

"I don't expect Brian to hit .350," Guillen said. "A lot of people forget we gave Brian all year long [in 2006] and he never [kept the job]. Now he's mature, he's a better player and he knows what he's doing. I don't expect him to be comfortable with being a backup outfielder. He should be better than that. He has an opportunity, and we'll see how he handles it."

I seem to recall BA lost his regular gig halfway through his rookie season.

QUOTE (soxfan3530 @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 10:32 AM)
The Nats don't want to trade Milledge. Obviously for the right price they would, but I have been hearing this is more an attempt at a wake up calll for Lastings to get his act together.

That's the major reason why I don't think you'd see the Sox acquire Milledge, especially when they have a veteran core.

QUOTE (soxfan3530 @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 09:32 AM)
The Nats don't want to trade Milledge. Obviously for the right price they would, but I have been hearing this is more an attempt at a wake up calll for Lastings to get his act together.

They have so many holes that maybe they accept two young players. What would be a 'reasonable overpay' from our end, if that makes sense.

A deal where we give up too much, but at the end of the day we're like "hey we got a CF leadoff hitter, this is what it took"

Egbert as part of it? Wow, Charlotte pitching is almost all atrocious here in the earlygoing.

Edited by Princess Dye

"I don't expect Brian to hit .350," Guillen said. "A lot of people forget we gave Brian all year long [in 2006] and he never [kept the job]. Now he's mature, he's a better player and he knows what he's doing. I don't expect him to be comfortable with being a backup outfielder. He should be better than that. He has an opportunity, and we'll see how he handles it."
Personally, I am really excited to see how Brian Anderson does given consistent at bats. I STILL think he has at least a .260 bat in him, and for this team, with his defense and speed, that's more than fine.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 09:10 AM)
BTW, is Ozzie questioning everyone's memory?

I seem to recall BA lost his regular gig halfway through his rookie season.

I was looking at this the other day. I think his longest stretch of starts was 7 and that happened in August. So he was far from having the job all year.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 02:47 PM)
Dobrow's Power Rankings on CBSsports (which I found about on the Score yesterday, they're great)..... indicates he's below average as a CF

Below average would be putting it mildly.

Career in CF; -17.2 UZR (153 games)

Career in OF; -25.3 UZR (242 games)

That averages out at -14.3 UZR per 150 games.

Last year he ranked dead last in CF among qualifying players with a -18.5 UZR.

In other words... he's atrocious.

Lastings Milledge is a centerfielder like a dog is an iguana. ... By the time we reach the end of 2009, we might regard the Nats' pitching staff as some kind of frothing goat-mongoose hybrid sent up from the depths of hell to disgust us with its impertinence. ... Any day the Nats take Elijah Dukes out of the lineup is one on which they have a smaller chance of winning. If there's an even half-sane rationale for sitting him, I'd love to hear it.

from Larry Dobrow's CBS Power Rankings (White Sox move from 23rd to 13th)

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 10:39 AM)
The sox do have better role models for Milledge to follow then Dukes, Dunn and Belliard.

He also had better role models to follow when he was at the Mets.

FWIW this was in buster olney's blog today

In the aftermath of the injury to Dewayne Wise, the White Sox signed center fielder Scott Podsednik to be the team's center fielder in Triple-A, as Joe Cowley writes, but Podsednik is just a fallback. The White Sox will hope that Brian Anderson, so strong defensively, can hit better and hold down the job. The White Sox will continue to evaluate the situation, however, and if necessary, they could consider alternatives. What follows is a speculative list of what might be available to Chicago:

1. Melky Cabrera. The Yankees would be willing to trade him for the right offer, and we know that the White Sox and Yankees are capable of making a deal. But there have been no serious talks between the teams recently.

2. Andruw Jones. He looks better at the plate, hitting the ball the other way, but he is an extra piece for the Rangers. You wonder if at some point Texas might be willing to move him, and if he continues to use the whole field, the White Sox could be interested.

3. Mike Cameron. The Brewers are off to a 2-6 start, and if this is a trend that continues, Cameron would be a nice movable part, with his current contract set to expire at the end of this year.

4. Rick Ankiel. The Cardinals have a surplus of outfielders and Ankiel will be eligible for free agency after this season. If St. Louis has a need to fill, the Cardinals could use Ankiel as trade bait.

5. Nyjer Morgan. The Pirates will promote Andrew McCutchen someday, and they already have Nate McClouth patrolling center field. Morgan could be surplus for them and a player who interests the White Sox.

6. Aaron Rowand. The Giants would probably love to unload the $44 million remaining in Rowand's contract, in light of his offensive struggles. But in order to make a deal that would work for the White Sox, the Giants would probably have to eat a staggering portion of Rowand's deal and the White Sox might be reluctant to make a trade for Rowand, anyway, considering their general inclination to get younger.

7. And a wildcard: the White Sox could consider shifting Alexei Ramirez to center field and summoning highly touted prospect Gordon Beckham -- who is off to a blazing start in Double-A -- to the big leagues.