Sox at Tigers April 15th game thread 12:05 scheduled first pitch

Atlanta tried to convince the speedy small Lillibridge that he wasn't a power hitter and to put the ball on the ground and run like hell. For some reason, he thinks he is a mini-power hitter. If he ever gives that up, and tries to use his tools he might be worth something. Maybe we can have him do pushups everytime he lifts a lazy fly ball.

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TitoMB345 @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 07:15 PM)
So does Wise, and he was given a shot. So does Owens, and he has been given chances. It always seems like BA is last to play, and only if absolutely necessary (Wise injury, Owens sucking in AAA). I just want him to be given a chance like everyone else, because he definitely plays the best D out of the bunch.

Yes sir. I agree. You need a bit of patiernce too

QUOTE (TitoMB345 @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 11:15 AM)
So does Wise, and he was given a shot. So does Owens, and he has been given chances. It always seems like BA is last to play, and only if absolutely necessary (Wise injury, Owens sucking in AAA). I just want him to be given a chance like everyone else, because he definitely plays the best D out of the bunch.

Honestly, you can't even compare Wise and Anderson. Wise has a hell of a lot more of an idea of what he's doing up at the plate than Anderson. Wise isn't that great, but as a 4th/5th outfielder there is a lot of value and I'd have a s***load more faith with Wise up in that situation than Anderson and I don't think anyone in baseball would disagree with that assessment either.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 02:15 PM)
Anderson has a place in this league as a pinch runner and defensive CFer, thats probably it.

And Ozzie hardly ever uses him as a defensive replacement anyways. That's why I'd rather them just get rid of him completely. Maybe this is his chance, maybe he'll get two weeks of solid starts. I don't know.

I don't think he's the be-all CFer, but I think he needs a shot. All I'm saying. All I've ever said.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 07:16 PM)
Atlanta tried to convince the speedy small Lillibridge that he wasn't a power hitter and to put the ball on the ground and run like hell. For some reason, he thinks he is a mini-power hitter. If he ever gives that up, and tries to use his tools he might be worth something. Maybe we can have him do pushups everytime he lifts a lazy fly ball.

Right now it looks like all those struggling at the plate are trying to hammer one about 700 feet rather than be patient and get their pitch and just make good contact. Ramirez for one is swinging at everything

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 11:15 AM)
LOL wow. That didn't take long at all for people to jump off the Anderson train. Jesus.

I was a big BA supporter at times (well advocating him over other guys) but I think it was pretty evident from the get go that he didn't have a big league swing and thats why I've consistently said the Sox need to find someone else for CF. He's tremendous defensively so I'd keep him for those purposes, but as a hitter, he's absolutely putrid.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 07:30 PM)
For about 3 months in Tucson a few years back, BA had a really nice swing IMO. He had gap power, quick hands, and showed patience. Whatever happened since then is beyond me.

Sitting on the bench and losing your focus and sharpness

QUOTE (pcullotta @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 01:16 PM)
I never got on board

exactly....very few people around here were ever on the wise or anderson train....of the two i chose anderson because of the D, but neither are favorable options

QUOTE (TitoMB345 @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 01:15 PM)

Owens has 380 career at-bats, Anderson has 600. Owens is older.

Everyone knows Anderson was the higher ceiling prospect than the track star. Owens wasnt even played in meaningful games with any regularity. Brian was.

I'm all for Brian playing more. As far as Wise, people who say Brian earns it each spring have to hand it to Wise who earned it in the Spring. If that doesnt come into play, then we're looking at Wise vs. BA: two guys who have a career or not hitting.

I just cant see the conspiracy against BA.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 01:30 PM)
For about 3 months in Tucson a few years back, BA had a really nice swing IMO. He had gap power, quick hands, and showed patience. Whatever happened since then is beyond me.

BA is a fastball hitter. In Arizona, breaking pitches don't have the same depth that they do here. He can cheat a bit more, and look fastball. He has never figured out how to address pitches that move.

Anderson played in around 100 games last year...quite a few of them as a defensive replacement/PH.

If JOSH Anderson gets on base you, here you put him on 3rd base with one out. Fortunately, he is like Granderson with no power...

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 01:16 PM)

He pops up everything that is away. Thats never going to work at the major league level.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 01:31 PM)
I really hope Nix comes up and Lilli gets the hell out of here.

yeah...brent lillibridge is a really, really bad baseball player who is only good defensively