Sox at Tigers April 15th game thread 12:05 scheduled first pitch

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 01:36 PM)
I wish we could of convinced Beane to take Anderson over Sweeney. I would rather have no power from Sweeney and a constant line drive swing than the group of fail we have that are candidates for CF right now.

I cosign on that. Pretty sure we would have had to send 42 virgin hookers with BA to compensate for the talent downgrade.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 02:31 PM)
Owens has 380 career at-bats, Anderson has 600. Owens is older.

Everyone knows Anderson was the higher ceiling prospect than the track star. Owens wasnt even played in meaningful games with any regularity. Brian was.

I'm all for Brian playing more. As far as Wise, people who say Brian earns it each spring have to hand it to Wise who earned it in the Spring. If that doesnt come into play, then we're looking at Wise vs. BA: two guys who have a career or not hitting.

I just cant see the conspiracy against BA.

But Anderson's 600 have come over 273 games. Owens 380 came over 117 games. Anderson got his shot in 2006, but we all thought he was too young then. If he gets 2 weeks of starts this time around, and proves nothing, I'll be over the Anderson hype. But I want to see those 2 weeks.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 11:35 AM)
He was given 40 games pretty much before he lost his starting job in 06.

Row, I'm sorry, there is no defending Anderson. It's one thing if he was strugglign cause of pitch recognition or this or that. He sucks offensively because he has some of the biggest holes I've ever seen out of a major league hitter. And those who say he once had a pretty swing, I'll tell you this, his swing is better today than it was 4 years ago when he was raking in Bham, etc. His swing was always horrendous but back than he could get away with it. Against major leaguers he has no chance, none.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 01:34 PM)
I can't ever rule it out because the tools he has are tremendous, but watch him swing and you'll see why he'd struggle to hit .240 over the course of a full major league season (I'd probably pin him for more like a .220 average).

And you can substitute JO and DW in that same sentence.

nice pick by pauly.....granderson looked out

edit: nope definitely safe.....man teh sox turned that about as fast as you can and still couldnt get Curtis

Edited by daa84

I wish we could of convinced Beane to take Anderson over Sweeney. I would rather have no power from Sweeney and a constant line drive swing than the group of fail we have that are candidates for CF right now.

Beane is no moron, even if he was semi comatose he would of blinked to signify "Hell no".

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 01:38 PM)
I'll tell you this, his swing is better today than it was 4 years ago when he was raking in Bham, etc. His swing was always horrendous but back than he could get away with it. Against major leaguers he has no chance, none.

Ah yes, that swing where somehow his back leg stepped through the box in his follow through.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 01:38 PM)
Row, I'm sorry, there is no defending Anderson. It's one thing if he was strugglign cause of pitch recognition or this or that. He sucks offensively because he has some of the biggest holes I've ever seen out of a major league hitter. And those who say he once had a pretty swing, I'll tell you this, his swing is better today than it was 4 years ago when he was raking in Bham, etc. His swing was always horrendous but back than he could get away with it. Against major leaguers he has no chance, none.

Don't crush his dream :(

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 11:37 AM)
I cosign on that. Pretty sure we would have had to send 42 virgin hookers with BA to compensate for the talent downgrade.

I don't think anyone could ever question the fact that a healthy Sweeney was going to hit for a good average, the only question was how empty the average would be. I always have compared him to Garret Anderson and I do believe that one day he'll have a few seasons where he hits for decent power, but as a whole, Sweeney will be a good major leaguer, never a star, but I can definately see him having quite a few .300 seasons. The question is will he hit for enough doubles and have the OBP to the point that he would be really effective in the 1 or 2 spot in the order (he won't steal enough bases to be considerd a true #1 by most teams though).

QUOTE (TitoMB345 @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 01:38 PM)
But Anderson's 600 have come over 273 games. Owens 380 came over 117 games. Anderson got his shot in 2006, but we all thought he was too young then. If he gets 2 weeks of starts this time around, and proves nothing, I'll be over the Anderson hype. But I want to see those 2 weeks.

I feel the same. I want him to start for 2-3 weeks, everyday. No JOke, no Pods, just BA. If he isn't passable after that, then I can give up.

Unfortunately, I see JOke starting withing the next day or 2 because Ozzie is nuts.

And when the Sox traded Sweeney most thought he sucked. Its funny how 1 AB gets everyone to pounce on BA. I knew and everyone knew it would happen if he fanned. If he doubled, some of the same people beating him to a pulp right now, saying how he has a bad swing and will never have one, would be saying he's a talented guy who may be coming around. It was 1 AB. Everyone in the White Sox line-up has struck out it the same situation many times. This board overreacts about everything.