The Tea Party

DukeNukeEm

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 02:13 PM)
Has anyone heard the term tea-bagging on ABC NBC CBS or FOX? Only CNN and MSDNC. Why is that? OLbermann Maddow Shuster and Anderson Cooper have all referenced the term on their respective shows. Pretty childish, IMO.

Because they don't have an original thought in their bodies about how to say somethign negative about what the protests are for. They can only make fun of a name and call the participants names. No substance.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 02:46 PM)
Because they don't have an original thought in their bodies about how to say somethign negative about what the protests are for. They can only make fun of a name and call the participants names. No substance.

What were these protests for? I don't think anyone can figure that one out.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 02:49 PM)
Sort of like the tea bag rally itself. What was the message? I saw about 500 different messages from the protesters. Completely incoherency.

sounds like every political protest i've ever seen

the truth is CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, and NBC aren't going to give any protest that is designed to criticize Obama positive coverage. expecting such is a losing battle; it would be the same as expecting the DNC to come out and give these protests a glowing review.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 03:51 PM)
the truth is CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, and NBC aren't going to give any protest that is designed to criticize Obama positive coverage. expecting such is a losing battle; it would be the same as expecting the DNC to come out and give these protests a glowing review.

I'm a little surprised it's taken you so many pages to post this.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 02:42 PM)
Cumulatively across the country? No.

I was hearing we'd get 250K in Chicago alone.

Where in the heck did you get those numbers from? Being downtown I can tell you that no one in charge anticpated anything close to that because there was zero crowd preparations done anywhere but at the post office. Anything approaching that number couldn't have taken place where it did. If there were going to be a quarter of a million people, it would have HAD to take place in Grant Park. The city couldn't have been expecting 10% of that number.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 03:07 PM)
Where in the heck did you get those numbers from? Being downtown I can tell you that no one in charge anticpated anything close to that because there was zero crowd preparations done anywhere but at the post office. Anything approaching that number couldn't have taken place where it did. If there were going to be a quarter of a million people, it would have HAD to take place in Grant Park. The city couldn't have been expecting 10% of that number.

yea there's no way anyone was expecting 250,000 for this protest

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 03:12 PM)
yea there's no way anyone was expecting 250,000 for this protest

If you haven't been in the Federal Plaza before, go back and look at the picture I posted earlier in this thread. If you filled the entire plaza, you might be able to get 10,000 to 15,000 people there. Let me put it this way. 250,000 is a slow day at Taste of Chicago, and that many people still cover about 4 city blocks using the streets and grassy areas of Grant Park.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 03:15 PM)
If you haven't been in the Federal Plaza before, go back and look at the picture I posted earlier in this thread. If you filled the entire plaza, you might be able to get 10,000 to 15,000 people there. Let me put it this way. 250,000 is a slow day at Taste of Chicago, and that many people still cover about 4 city blocks using the streets and grassy areas of Grant Park.

for sure. i'm from chicago and i know there is no way federal plaza is holding 250,000 people for a protest. that many people in that area would require streets to be shut down, have a big security presence, ect.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 08:31 AM)
brown_sign_teabag.jpg

I don't think the protests were racist. I would assume most die hard Obama supporters want to paint his opposition as racist, but I think it's more misinformed than racist (although I can see why people are upset about government spending right now since I'm not particularly happy about it).

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 03:19 PM)
MY PROTEST WAS BIGGER THAN YOURZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The reason I initially brought up crowd figures was the disparity in MSM coverage. The war protests saw tens of thousands of people gathering in cities across the country (about 100K in one city alone) while protests of a few hundred yesterday received a ridiculous amount of attention and news coverage.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 03:34 PM)
I don't think the protests were racist. I would assume most die hard Obama supporters want to paint his opposition as racist, but I think it's more misinformed than racist (although I can see why people are upset about government spending right now since I'm not particularly happy about it).

it's usually some white guy calling everyone racist when there is actually no racism involved. that's the hilarious part.

A lot of the Tea parties were affiliated with the Campaign for Liberty and also about how lame the Fed is. I am totally down with any rally against the Federal Reserve. Some may have misconstrued the points, but even if it was 250,000 nationwide... thats a LOT of people going out of their way to express their distaste with the way things are run.

Originally I thought it was a bunch of Republicans complaining about Democrats, but this is the real deal. These are real people who are just sick of phony politics... cheers to them!

QUOTE (DanksFan @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 04:51 PM)
A lot of the Tea parties were affiliated with the Campaign for Liberty and also about how lame the Fed is. I am totally down with any rally against the Federal Reserve. Some may have misconstrued the points, but even if it was 250,000 nationwide... thats a LOT of people going out of their way to express their distaste with the way things are run.

Originally I thought it was a bunch of Republicans complaining about Democrats, but this is the real deal. These are real people who are just sick of phony politics... cheers to them!

:headbang :notworthy

I appreciate your comments. It's so funny to see people want to disrespect this.

QUOTE (DanksFan @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 05:51 PM)

I'm sure that many of these people who have chosen to protest have valid reasons to do it. But to say it was full of phony politics when the organizers are talking about how decentralized it was and yet there seemed to be a prominent Fox News personality at every major one seems a bit disingenous to say that phony politics aren't in play.

And the truth is, the organizers do matter for me. I wanted to go protest the war in Iraq in 2003. Til I found out who was behind the protests - and I couldn't get behind the extremists that are behind it. And given who was behind so many of these protests and the things they represent, its hard for me to take those views terribly seriously anyway.

I was at the Daley Center and at the Jackson Post office yesterday, I didnt even know about the protest until I read this thread.

Not sure what time the protests were though so maybe it was after I was there.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 10:35 PM)
I'm sure that many of these people who have chosen to protest have valid reasons to do it. But to say it was full of phony politics when the organizers are talking about how decentralized it was and yet there seemed to be a prominent Fox News personality at every major one seems a bit disingenous to say that phony politics aren't in play.

Sounds exactly like the immigration rallies that were played up to be so noble and patriotic to me.