4/15 Games

scenario

Charlotte lost to Norfolk 3-2 in a day game.

Whisler had a decent outing.

Russell blew the save and took the loss.

Barons back in action after an off day.

On the road against Tennessee.

Omogrosso with the start.

Game at 7:15 CDT

Winston-Salem @ Lynchburg

Anthony Carter pitching

Game tied 1-1 in the 3rd on a Christian Marrero homerun.

Kannapolis won a day game at Lexington 6-0.

Steven Sauer with the win in relief. Nice outing for all the pitchers.

Matt Inouye with a double and a homerun.

Persichina hit 2 doubles.

Gilmore got his first hit.

Radio feeds

• Charlotte Knights (AAA): Listen

• Birmingham Barons (AA): Listen

• Winston-Salem Dash (A Adv.): Listen

• Kannapolis Intimidators (A): Listen

Edited by scenario

Danks up to his normal tricks. 0/2, BB, K (.214). Wonder if he wouldn't have been better off starting at Kannapolis and really building his confidence, but he played in the AFL and Big 12 so he should be ready for this level. No other way to find out.

Carter has pitched well so far, only 3 hits in 5 IP, one run and 3 K's.

Looks like we have a real dearth of candidates to take the place of MacDougal (Russell being one of them)...not that many teams have dominant 6th and 7th relievers, though.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 06:31 PM)
Beckham at it already. Double, run. 3-0 B'ham.

E6 on Beckham. Routine play. Bobbled. Third error in his 6th game.

Second base is becoming more and more realistic for him, and we really could use an impact bat in the lineup. If Getz starts off slowly when he comes back from injury, Beck may get the call pretty soon.

Shelby with a double, Flowers continuing to pile up walks...Cook with a two out, two RBI triple (since changed to 2B and error on outfielder).

That's Beckham's sixth double in six games (in other words he has as many doubles as Ramirez, Lillibridge and Anderson have hits).

Unfortunately, Beckham has error #3 (fielding)...putting him on a pace for 70 errors. Of course, that won't happen, but wouldn't be surprised if he had 30-40 errors this season at all.

Top of 3rd: In his second AB, Beckham ripped a ball into the corner that he didn't hit squarely but it almost went out...Flowers walked (second in the game)...Allen grounded out and Viciedo fouled out to catcher on the first pitch...needs to be more patient.

They bunted on Viciedo now (Vee-suh-dayo, nice pronunciation Cubs' goon!)...no play

Retherford made a really nice playing on a DP ball to get out of 1st and 3rd and one out for Omogrosso, barehanding a relay from Beckham and completing the play at first to Allen.

3-2 Barons going into the fourth, bottom of the order coming up. They will continue to test Viciedo defensively.

Edited by caulfield12

Yeah, I was looking at the wrong column. It was his 6th RBI of the season.

He has 3 doubles and 1 homer...and has just barely missed a couple of more homers.

Cook now 2 for 2. Gartrell with a bomb to straightaway CF that was a no doubter on the berm...2nd homer of the season, 5 RBI's.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 06:31 PM)
Beckham at it already. Double, run. 3-0 B'ham.

E6 on Beckham. Routine play. Bobbled. Third error in his 6th game.

Better start a new thread about Becks needing a new glove!!!

I am sure Cubano will be starting a thread on Beckham's fielding percentage!

Minnesota with a quick 2-0 lead on the Jays, looks like there will be a 3 way tie for 2nd place in the AL Central tonight. Take that back, Rolen homers off Baker, just off the DL, 2-2 game.

Retherford and Beckham team up for 2nd double play of the night...4-6-3. Omogrosso settling in a bit now...not a bad candidate to replace MacDougal.

Beckham, Flowers and Allen due up in the top of the fifth.

Top of the the 5th: Beckham walks, Flowers hits a blooper/Texas Leaguer for a gift single to RF, but then Allen hits a soft liner to RF and finally Viciedo flicked one into RF as well...for some reason, Beckham was running at the crack of the bat (not sure if he was stealing, hit and run or just had a brain cramp) and got doubled off second.

BOT 5th: Liner to John Shelby that he couldn't quite get to, but he made a very nice recovery and got the assist, nabbing the runner who was going for a double right out of the box...another note, Flowers has his first passed ball of the season.

Not good...Flowers one bounces a throw on a steal attempt into CF, but the runner is stranded at 3B.

Edited by caulfield12

I blame all of Beckham's errors on Wise and Owens.

FWIW, Derek Jeter had 56 errors in the summer of 1993 for the Greensboro Bats.

Not that we want to set our sights for Mr. Beckham so low defensively. And, in all fairness, the SAL infields were much worse than what players have to deal with in the Southern League in 2009. The Greensboro field was notorious for being one of the worst...or maybe 2nd worst, ours in Augusta was THE worst in 1993/94 before we built a new stadium for the 1995 season.

Beckham makes one of his best plays of the season....makes a stellar diving nab of a grounder ("somehow he got to that ball, it looked like it was going through for sure") and makes the flip to Retherford from his stomach. Nice work...Omogrosso through six now, that might be the end of his night.

Maestri (Italian, but not related to the "Maestro" from Seinfeld) has now walked Mr. Beckham twice. This time, Beckham didn't even have a pitch to swing at.

Fear THE Reaper/Slayer.

For the second time of the game, Beckham was almost picked off base on a pop-up...this time on the infield. Maybe the bad baserunning at the major league level has rubbed off on our minor league system, too. The Smokies' announcers are still in amazement, wondering what Beckham was doing.

Edited by caulfield12

And miss "swang" through the ball, Cubby love and three different pronunciations of Viciedo in one game...no way!

Besides, I always have problems with that silverlight program and the Barons' feed on my computer for some reason.

Beckham is 1/2 (the out was almost a HR in the LF corner) with 2 walks in his last two AB's.

Now 1/3...he ripped a groundball up the middle but was thrown out on an excellent play by the 2B. Flowers out...Allen gets his first hit of the game.

Viciedo takes an 0 for 5 and Cubano is distraught I think, K-ing to the end the top of the 9th.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 08:47 PM)
And miss "swang" through the ball, Cubby love and three different pronunciations of Viciedo in one game...no way!

Besides, I always have problems with that silverlight program and the Barons' feed on my computer for some reason.

Beckham is 1/2 (the out was almost a HR in the LF corner) with 2 walks in his last two AB's.

Use the feed from MiLB.com Curt Bloom

JPN-I think it was you that said you weren't impressed with Jhonny Nunez. What specifically don't you like? I know he doesn't have the greatest stuff, but the couple times I saw him on TV in spring training, I really liked his mound presence, and he's been getting outs...and plenty of k's.

Beckham is in his 6th game this year, and played what, a dozen last year? You cannot possibly have an idea of his defensive abilities at SS yet. Let's talk about it in August.

Man, I agree with others, that lineup in B-Ham is something special. That B-Ham team is going to be really good.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 10:43 AM)
Brandon Allen needs to be promoted to Charlotte.

I think that could happen mid-season. I think the first half ends in late June. Maybe they let this team win a first half division, and then make some changes.

As much as I would like to see Beckham up in the bigs, it's been fun following this Birmingham team more than the actual White Sox so far. I'd kind of like to see them all stay together.