Texas Gov: We May Need to Secede

HuskyCaucasian

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 08:46 AM)
Good news is, under the new Texas law, there wouldnt be an illegal immigration problem. They'd allow all their residents to own assult weapons (dont you dare infringe their gun rights!) and the law would allow you to shot to kill and illegals.

This is a very Kaperbole post, but from the other side. Homerbole? Maybe Lefterbole?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 05:40 PM)

Thinking about it a little bit, the funniest part of this is the article is built around all of these premises that Obama isn't doing with the rest of the world.

Embargo? Doesn't work.

Invade a sovergein nation? Won't do it.

Drug trade? Send military aid and money.

The article sounds a lot more like Bush policy than Obama.

But don't let that get in the way... :lol:

Edited by southsider2k5

75% of Texans do NOT support seceding:

A new poll out Friday shows that, should Texas Gov. Rick Perry decide the time is right for his state to secede, he might not have much support. Seventy-five percent of Texans would like to stay in the union, according to Rasmussen. However, a sizable minority would be with him: 18% would vote to secede, and seven percent are not sure what they'd choose. And a full 31% of Texas voters believe that their state has the right to secede from the United States and form an independent country if it wants.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 10:38 AM)
I think that speaks volumes about Texas that a quarter of their residents are at least not opposed to it though. How many other states would even top 10%? Well maybe Hawaii and Alaska, possibly Utah but thats it.

It's also that state that has chainsaw wielding murderers.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 08:22 PM)
I gotta tell you. I really don't like him all that much, because I think that he's been on the wrong side of some pretty important issues down here. With that said, he is a true fiscal conservative, and that alone makes him better then most. He was b****ing about GWB and the money before even Obama came into office. You also have to remember that most of the Democrats down here would be considered Republican in Illinois and the northeast US. They are all pretty conservative overall... of course there are some exceptions to that.

Lloyd Doggett...hello.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 11:38 AM)
I think that speaks volumes about Texas that a quarter of their residents are at least not opposed to it though. How many other states would even top 10%? Well maybe Hawaii and Alaska, possibly Utah but thats it.

I bet at least 50% of New Yorkers would support Long Island seceding--although most of them probably wouldn't be from Long Island. . .

QUOTE (Soxy @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 11:42 AM)
I bet at least 50% of New Yorkers would support Long Island seceding--although most of them probably wouldn't be from Long Island. . .

Haha well that's different. Upstate NY (north of Westchester/Rockland/Orange counties) and NYC/LI really should be two different states.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 10:43 AM)
Haha well that's different. Upstate NY (north of Westchester/Rockland/Orange counties) and NYC/LI really should be two different states.

As someone who has been to NY once in his life... and doesnt remember much of it.... is "upsate", or anything away from NYC much more of a rural, conservative, area?

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 11:45 AM)
As someone who has been to NY once in his life... and doesnt remember much of it.... is "upsate", or anything away from NYC much more of a rural, conservative, area?

It's kind of like Chicago vs. the rest of IL.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 11:45 AM)

I might be wrong with specifics, but i'm pretty sure the majority of counties in upstate new york generally vote republican. The Buffalo/Rochester area is pretty liberal, Broome county (Binghamton) is in the middle, Syracuse and Albany can lean left but most every other county is fairly conservative. Generally, the more north and/or west you go in NY, the more conservative it is going to be. As for being rural, Buffalo and Rochester are big, Albany is a good sized with a lot of smaller suburb cities, Syracuse is a decent size but it appears larger cuz theres always so much traffic and Binghamton is ~50K. Not many other cities of significance in the state.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 11:46 AM)
It's kind of like Chicago vs. the rest of IL.

Except that upstate NY has some of the most beautiful parks and scenery I've ever seen. Upstate >>>>>>>>> Downstate (I suppose that is true for both IL and NY).

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 11:49 AM)
I might be wrong with specifics, but i'm pretty sure the majority of counties in upstate new york generally vote republican. The Buffalo/Rochester area is pretty liberal, Broome county (Binghamton) is in the middle, Syracuse and Albany can lean left but most every other county is fairly conservative. Generally, the more north and/or west you go in NY, the more conservative it is going to be. As for being rural, Buffalo and Rochester are big, Albany is a good sized with a lot of smaller suburb cities, Syracuse is a decent size but it appears larger cuz theres always so much traffic and Binghamton is ~50K. Not many other cities of significance in the state.

Most states in the US are this way, even the blue states, I've found. If you look at a map of blue vs. red counties, most of the country looks overwhelmingly red, but the vast majority of the Dems live in urban/populated areas.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 10:52 AM)
Most states in the US are this way, even the blue states, I've found. If you look at a map of blue vs. red counties, most of the country looks overwhelmingly red, but the vast majority of the Dems live in urban/populated areas.

Now, why is that?

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 10:52 AM)

Yep! The state maps on election day are staggering.