Are We Looking to Trade for a CF'er?

elrockinMT

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 03:40 PM)
I honestly don't watch much Cub baseball but is he that much worse than what we have?

Fukudome would be better. Torii Hunter would be better. Aaron Rowand would be better...heck, even Willie Harris (won't go as far as to to say Darin Erstad or Mackowiak)...it's all about MONEY, which we supposedly don't have to spend right now.

As the White Sox are most likely to give up talent in order to save money...it means we give up the equivalent of Chris B. Young to get any of those guys. Which means Poreda and one of the following (Flowers, Allen, Shelby) to get this trade done where they would be willing to eat 1/2 of any of those three contracts.

Cash is king in this environment.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 01:40 PM)
I honestly don't watch much Cub baseball but is he that much worse than what we have?

Not necessarily worse than what we have, but was given what, 4/$48 just 1 year ago? Hell, in a good economy where we weren't cutting salary I thought that was way more than I'd want to pay.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 03:42 PM)
You simply can't say that yet. Bringing up Beckham now and leading off with him has a 90% chance of him stunting his development and flopping at the job. He's had less than a month of professional baseball experience - this is a bad idea.

Talent always wins out in the end.

BA and Getz just aren't as good...Beckham is the only one in the organization with the confidence to do it.

You can't be afraid of failure as a baseball player...and Gordon isn't. If anything, I think he needs to have a little struggle to realize that he's not quite as good as he thinks he is.

If you look at players like Rowand and Crede, they struggled over and over again until they became regulars. But, if you have the talent and ability, there will always be a place for you at the next level.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 03:47 PM)
Talent always wins out in the end.

BA and Getz just aren't as good...Beckham is the only one in the organization with the confidence to do it.

You can't be afraid of failure as a baseball player...and Gordon isn't. If anything, I think he needs to have a little struggle to realize that he's not quite as good as he thinks he is.

If you look at players like Rowand and Crede, they struggled over and over again until they became regulars. But, if you have the talent and ability, there will always be a place for you at the next level.

Actually, no, it doesn't always win out in the end. If it did, it would always be the highest draft picks and best early-minors performers that are MLB stars, but that is not the case. This is one of many reasons why we need to see him get some experience under his belt.

I'll add talent and "make-up" in combination.

If you ask scouts why all those first rounders didn't make an impact, it won't have anything to do with their ability...but there hasn't been a player in the White Sox system with the confidence of Beckham in many years...comparing himself to Derek Jeter, whether subconsciously or consciously.

The thing here is, we can't trade for Aaron Rowand if we know that Beckham could play RIGHT now, it would be irresponsible and reckless financially.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 08:42 PM)
You simply can't say that yet. Bringing up Beckham now and leading off with him has a 90% chance of him stunting his development and flopping at the job. He's had less than a month of professional baseball experience - this is a bad idea.

Bringing him up would be a panic move. We aren't anywhere close. Give the kid a chance to develop

I wouldn't trade for Fukudome until the day of the deadline, right now, he's doing exactly what he did last year, hitting well for the first two months, after that, he could very well be miserable again. I don't like his contract, but given how much Lou loves Reed Johnson, the presence of Joey Gathright, and the ghost of Tyler Colvin in AA it could be a possibility.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 02:45 PM)
It's the next and only logical move if Getz doesn't work out at leadoff.

Unless you want to see Owens or Pods playing CF...

Let's at least give the season a month before we start doing panic deals. If everyone winds up failing, hell, just stick Fields and Pierzynski at the top, and assuming AJ ever picks it up at least you have solid hitters going 1-7.

You know, I'm just tired of former White Sox players returning, or being rumored to return. I don't care if Rowand is had for practically nothing, I'm just sick of these discussions. "(Insert former player) would look good, here. " " How about (Insert former player)?" "I would have (insert former player) if for cheap." If you've experienced any sort of success with the White Sox recently, it's almost inevitable you'll be rumored at some point to return.

Move on, White Sox. It's like the asshole who continues dating ex-girlfriends. They're out of your life, move on.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 09:48 AM)
Apparently the rumor mill is burning hot with info that the Sox may be searching for a CF'er to trade for and that Aaron Rowand may be a target for KW. If the Giants are seruious contenders in the NL West would they actually consider this deal? Would the Sox take on a big contract? Interesting speculation anyway. Discuss amongst yourselves.

Doubt it will happen.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 08:41 AM)
If KW is looking for a CF, that tells me that he doen't believe BA can do the job.

And if that's the case, I imagine that he would've been traded by now. It's not like Ozzie has been a huge BA supporter. This is why I call BS on this rumor.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 10:48 AM)
And if that's the case, I imagine that he would've been traded by now. It's not like Ozzie has been a huge BA supporter. This is why I call BS on this rumor.

The biggest problem is there are no CFs out there to be had according to Ozzie.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 06:39 PM)
You know, I'm just tired of former White Sox players returning, or being rumored to return. I don't care if Rowand is had for practically nothing, I'm just sick of these discussions. "(Insert former player) would look good, here. " " How about (Insert former player)?" "I would have (insert former player) if for cheap." If you've experienced any sort of success with the White Sox recently, it's almost inevitable you'll be rumored at some point to return.

Move on, White Sox. It's like the asshole who continues dating ex-girlfriends. They're out of your life, move on.

So I guess you'd be just as annoyed if Carlos Lee was rumored to return? If they can help the team, who cares if they're former White Sox players? Rowand for practically nothing would bother you? It sure as hell wouldn't bother me. Especially considering what the current alternatives are.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 11:10 AM)
So I guess you'd be just as annoyed if Carlos Lee was rumored to return? If they can help the team, who cares if they're former White Sox players? Rowand for practically nothing would bother you? It sure as hell wouldn't bother me. Especially considering what the current alternatives are.

I'd be annoyed if they wanted to put him in CF and hit him leadoff ;)

QUOTE (YASNY @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 08:41 AM)
If KW is looking for a CF, that tells me that he doen't believe BA can do the job.

We all know that BA will never be able to hit enough for the club to not always be at least considering addressing the CF spot, imo. Thats just how bad of a hitter he is.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 08:48 AM)

The problem is Kenny doesn't really want to give up a ton to get a CF, especially since I believe the organization is very high on Danks/Shelby. The thing is there are going to be at least a few spots coming open next year (Thome/Dye will be gone) so that could allow the Sox to be able to acquire someone to play CF this year and still be able to move them to another position while they also can find ways to get Brandon Allen, Viciedo, and Beckham at bats (since I'd have to imagine all three are going to be starting for the Sox or at least getting significant playing time next season).

Allen is just transforming into an elite type of offensive prospect.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 08:59 AM)
The biggest problem is there are no CFs out there to be had according to Ozzie.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 01:33 PM)
The problem is Kenny doesn't really want to give up a ton to get a CF, especially since I believe the organization is very high on Danks/Shelby. The thing is there are going to be at least a few spots coming open next year (Thome/Dye will be gone) so that could allow the Sox to be able to acquire someone to play CF this year and still be able to move them to another position while they also can find ways to get Brandon Allen, Viciedo, and Beckham at bats (since I'd have to imagine all three are going to be starting for the Sox or at least getting significant playing time next season).

Allen is just transforming into an elite type of offensive prospect.

If Kenny had planned on making a move for a proven, starting-lineup caliber CF, he would've done it by now. Heck, even a mediocre, relatively inexpensive Willy Taveras would've been an upgrade over Wise/BA/Owens. And I agree that giving up prospects for somebody like Rowand was out of the question. Nothing's going to get done this season. It's remotely possible that we may see Beckham at SS and Alexei in CF when the rosters expand, but that's about all I see happening. Also agreed that Kenny may do something next season, after all of that veteran salary is off the books... depending how Beckham develops and what they think of Alexei in CF.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 10:05 PM)
Well, we had this argument about Taveras for 2 months at least this offseason...

Yeah we did, and for a team that wanted a speedy CF to lead off I still think it was a mistake not to take a flyer on him when he pretty much fit exactly what we wanted and was available..