• Birmingham Barons (AA): Listen

• Winston-Salem Dash (A Adv.): Listen

• Kannapolis Intimidators (A): Listen

Edited by scenario

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should be some interesting pitching tonight. 2 guys looking to make the ML roster soon that have been pretty disappointing in McCulloch and Marquez. And two guys who are a little too old for their leagues that are pretty solid pitchers in Leesman and Shirek. I expect both of those guys to move up a level by midseason, Shirek to AA and Leesman to High-A.

Edited by maggsmaggs

Note:

The Kannapolis game is on MiLB-TV tonight. You have to be a subscriber to watch it. But it's pretty cheap for a season of minor league games. ($29.95)

Plus you get the All-Star Games and playoffs. The AA all-star game is in Birmingham this year. Should be well represented by Barons.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 03:49 PM)
Should be some interesting pitching tonight. 2 guys looking to make the ML roster soon that have been pretty disappointing in McCulloch and Marquez. And two guys who are a little too old for their leagues that are pretty solid pitchers in Leesman and Shirek. I expect both of those guys to move up a level by midseason, Shirek to AA and Leesman to High-A.

Why is Leesman too old for his league? He just turned 22 in March.

BTW - that makes him slightly younger than DCarter and Dan Hudson and just a few months older than Infante and Garrett Johnson. So all the starting pitchers in Kanny are roughly the same age.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 03:49 PM)

Neither Shirek nor Leesman are "old" for their league. And more important than actual age is experience level anyway.

Shirek has just one year of pro ball (2008 in Kanny) plus a tiny 6 inning stint his draft year (2007), so he's at A+ even a little early, having skipped rookie ball. He's "old" at 23 because he was drafted later for various reasons. Considering all that, he's ahead of the curve right now as far as I am concerned.

Leesman was only drafted last year, and is 22 at High A after pitching a grand total of 3 games in 2008. He's at High A with 3 games' experience.

Neither are old in any useful sense. I understand numeric age is important too, but when you are talking about a 21 year old versus a 22 year old (or 22 versus 23), by far what is more important is experience.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 05:50 PM)
I'm listening to the radio for the W-S game, never done that before. The announcer, going solo, is actually pretty good.

I love listening to the broadcasts. You pick up so much more than you can by reading the milb.com summaries.

And you're right. The quality of the announcers is better than most people might think. Even in the rookie league games.

I'm with Josh. Shirek is a guy that should do well through A-ball considering he came from the Big 12. He's on the older side of the level and has premium college experience. I'm not going to call a guy like that a prospect until he pitches well in AA.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 07:02 PM)
Gameday isn't working. I know it's 2-0 Barons. Flowers tripled, Viciedo singled scoring Flowers , but I don't know what happened before that.

1st Run: Lee Cruz doubled. Then he came home when Shelby grounded to the 3B who made an error.

Winston-Salem scores 4 in the 8th to tie their game 6-6. Here's how it happened.

* Brent Morel singles on a ground ball to right fielder Miles Durham.

* Christian Marrero singles on a line drive to right fielder Miles Durham. Brent Morel to 2nd.

* Seth Loman doubles (2) on a fly ball to left fielder Alex Presley. Brent Morel scores. Christian Marrero scores.

* Adam Ricks doubles (1) on a fly ball to right fielder Miles Durham. Seth Loman scores.

* C. J. Lang out on a sacrifice bunt, first baseman Kent Sakamoto to second baseman Jose De Los Santos. Adam Ricks to 3rd.

* Jordan Danks doubles (2) on a fly ball to left fielder Alex Presley. Adam Ricks scores.

* Greg Paiml singles on a line drive to center fielder Marcus Davis. Jordan Danks out at home on the throw, center fielder Marcus Davis to catcher Kris Watts. Greg Paiml to 2nd on the throw.

* Jim Gallagher grounds out, second baseman Jose De Los Santos to first baseman Kent Sakamoto.

QUOTE (scenario @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 12:39 AM)
Marquez had a pretty brutal outing.

Knocked out of the game in the 4th: gave up 7 runs on 8 hits; walked 4 and struck out 2.

He is such an awful pitcher. He'll likely be out of baseball in 3 years. Thankfully we made the right call in not keeping him with the big league club.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 05:50 PM)
I'm listening to the radio for the W-S game, never done that before. The announcer, going solo, is actually pretty good.

I correspond with Ed Collari via e-mail, he is a hell of a nice guy. Very helpful and will answer any of your questions.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 08:37 PM)
So, should I expect to see Jeffrey Marquez soon in B'ham?

Nah. Charlotte doesn't have much hope this year. They might as well keep throwing him out there and seeing what they can squeeze out of him.

Barons lost 4-2 to drop to a record of 5 and 2.

About the only good things to happen were Viciedo and Shelby were both 2 for 4, and Viciedo had an RBI.

Dayan hasn't had many XB hits yet, but that will come.

Kyle McCulloch, the incredibly shrinking prospect, pitched decently but took the loss.

Its amazing how many people ignored Marquez's numbers last year and bought KW's BS about him. When he pitched well the first week of March I think some were even predicting double figure wins. Although he hasn't been sharp, thank God Contreras is back and thank God Bartolo Colon signed with the Sox. The way Richard has been throwing his last couple of outings and the way Marquez has been lit up, the White Sox could just as well forfeit when their turns came up if they were the 4th and 5th starters.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 09:34 PM)
Its amazing how many people ignored Marquez's numbers last year and bought KW's BS about him. When he pitched well the first week of March I think some were even predicting double figure wins. Although he hasn't been sharp, thank God Contreras is back and thank God Bartolo Colon signed with the Sox. The way Richard has been throwing his last couple of outings and the way Marquez has been lit up, the White Sox could just as well forfeit when their turns came up if they were the 4th and 5th starters.

Why did people 'ignore' Marquez's numbers last year?

Pretty simple.

It was the first time in the minors he had an ERA above 3.65 and it happened to be in a year where he dealing with an injury. He has a 2:1 career K/BB ratio and last year it was much worse than that (33K's and 24 BB's). He gave up almost 3X as many homeruns per inning pitched as his career average too. In other words, the year screamed anomaly.

Despite the recent popularity of Marquez bashing, he has very good movement on his pitches, particularly his slider... and his curveball is a very nice pitch. But, he needs... badly... to develop another pitch. Preferably one that will help him miss more bats.

Edited by scenario