4/16 Games

scenario

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 09:43 PM)
Charlie Leesman might move up the ranks quickly. I heard Cooper mention him a couple times during spring training as one of the good arms in minor league camp.

Now he's 2-0 with 0.75 ERA.

Plus, he's a lefty.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 07:34 PM)
Its amazing how many people ignored Marquez's numbers last year and bought KW's BS about him. When he pitched well the first week of March I think some were even predicting double figure wins. Although he hasn't been sharp, thank God Contreras is back and thank God Bartolo Colon signed with the Sox. The way Richard has been throwing his last couple of outings and the way Marquez has been lit up, the White Sox could just as well forfeit when their turns came up if they were the 4th and 5th starters.

He was supposedly hurt and it looks like he pitched just over half a season.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 09:50 PM)
He was supposedly hurt and it looks like he pitched just over half a season.

What's the excuse this season? He was pretty awful last year, and was compared to Jon Garland. In fact, KW said they could have signed Garland, but had the same thing in Marquez. Not that Garland is stellar, in fact, maybe he is Garland considering Garland's start, but I'm assuming he meant the inning eater Garland has been his entire career, and as you said he didn't even pitch a full season last year. He pompously told everyone how Marquez's sinker would flourish at USCF. Maybe it would if they let him pitch in that NU vs. ND game last night. At the same age, Garland had more major league innings than Marquez has innings.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 09:56 PM)
What's the excuse this season? He was pretty awful last year, and was compared to Jon Garland. In fact, KW said they could have signed Garland, but had the same thing in Marquez. Not that Garland is stellar, in fact, maybe he is Garland considering Garland's start. At the same age, Garland had more major league innings than Marquez has innings.

I agree. To me he's a non-factor. I'm not expecting him to do anything for a couple years, and then he'll just be gone.

Kanny recap...

Intimidators notch third straght shutout, 1-0, over the Legends

04/16/2009 9:34 PM ET

MLB.com

LEXINGTON, KY - The Intimidators pitching staff continued to roll on Thursday night, as Charlie Leesman and two relievers combined to shutout the Lexington Legends, 1-0, at Applebee's Park.

The shutout was the third straight for the Intimidators, who have not surrendered a run in the last 30 innings. Leesman (2-0) worked six three-hit innings, before Tyson Corley and Charlis Burdie finished off the shutout. Corley pitched the seventh and Burdie got through the eighth and ninth for his first save of the season.

The lone run came off the bat of Jon Gillmore, who clubbed his first home run of the season over the left-centerfield fence to lead off the second inning.

QUOTE (scenario @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 10:23 AM)
You mean in all of the 5.1 innings he's pitched so far this season?

Well, you are not going to pitch many innings if you get pounded every time out. I mean teams are hitting close to .500 off him already. That is ridiculously bad, and he has walked a batter an inning.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 10:43 AM)
Well, you are not going to pitch many innings if you get pounded every time out. I mean teams are hitting close to .500 off him already. That is ridiculously bad, and he has walked a batter an inning.

Walked 'a batter an inning', eh?

Why use averages to make it look bigger than it is?

He's walked FIVE PEOPLE... period.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 11:45 AM)
Marquez could very well turn out to be a dud. But I agree. To base anything off of 5 innings or so is ridiculous.

I'm sure you're open to the possibility of a Mike MacDougal turnaround. He's got a 3.56 WHIP in his first 2 starts. He was horrid last season. Marquez blows.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 11:49 AM)
I'm sure you're open to the possibility of a Mike MacDougal turnaround. He's got a 3.56 WHIP in his first 2 starts. He was horrid last season. Marquez blows.
Except MacDougal has a history of sucking. Marquez has last year, and a whopping 5.1 IP this year. You're cherry picking again.

QUOTE (almagest @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 12:19 PM)
Except MacDougal has a history of sucking. Marquez has last year, and a whopping 5.1 IP this year. You're cherry picking again.

Really? MacDougal has had success in the major leagues. In fact, quite a bit. The majority of his career, he's been pretty good.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 12:23 PM)
Really? MacDougal has had success in the major leagues. In fact, quite a bit. The majority of his career, he's been pretty good.

The majority, really? It looks to me like 2003 was passible (he still had a WHIP of 1.5, K/BB of 1.88, and 4.5 BB/9 which are not good peripherals by any stretch), 2005 was solid, and 2006 was good for the half of the year he pitched. 2007 was just horrible, and 2008 got him sent to Charlotte. 2004 was bad and he was injured, and his cup of coffees in 2001 and 2 looked pretty scary as well. That doesn't really look like pretty good over a majority of his career to me, especially when you look at his career numbers. It would be a mediocre career at best.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 11:49 AM)

Fine. But when somebody bashes Brian Anderson make sure you recognize they're bashing him because he's completely sucked (except defensively) his entire ML career.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 01:08 PM)
The majority, really? It looks to me like 2003 was passible (he still had a WHIP of 1.5, K/BB of 1.88, and 4.5 BB/9 which are not good peripherals by any stretch), 2005 was solid, and 2006 was good for the half of the year he pitched. 2007 was just horrible, and 2008 got him sent to Charlotte. 2004 was bad and he was injured, and his cup of coffees in 2001 and 2 looked pretty scary as well. That doesn't really look like pretty good over a majority of his career to me, especially when you look at his career numbers. It would be a mediocre career at best.

2008 was how many innings? 2007 he sucked. 2006 he was good. 2005 good. 2003 was great the first half, made the All Star team and had 24 saves at the break, was brutal and injured the second half. 2007 he pitched 42 innings. 2004 he pitched 11 innings. 2006 he pitched 29 innings. 2008 he pitched 17 innings. All in all I would say majority is correct, wouldn't you? In the years he mentioned he was good or passable its been far more than half his career innings.

You can't be saying KW made a big mistake trading for him and giving him an extension can you?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 01:10 PM)
Fine. But when somebody bashes Brian Anderson make sure you recognize they're bashing him because he's completely sucked (except defensively) his entire ML career.

Brian Anderson gets bashed if he makes an out his first AB and actually gets close to having a game blamed on him when the team lost 9-0 and he whiffed with guys on second and third with one out in the fifth inning. Never mind Carlos Quentin struck out with a guy on 3rd and one out in the first. The bashing is beyond ridiculous. Its worse than the Uribe bashing. BA will shut everyone up however in due time.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 01:15 PM)
2008 was how many innings? 2007 he sucked. 2006 he was good. 2005 good. 2003 was great the first half, made the All Star team and had 24 saves at the break, was brutal and injured the second half. 2007 he pitched 42 innings. 2004 he pitched 11 innings. 2006 he pitched 29 innings. 2008 he pitched 17 innings. All in all I would say majority is correct, wouldn't you? In the years he mentioned he was good or passable its been far more than half his career innings.

You can't be saying KW made a big mistake trading for him and giving him an extension can you?

He hasn't been good except a few years, and hasn't been good since 2006 in the majors. The guy has been sent to the minors every single year of his career except one (not including this one, but I am sure it is coming soon). 2008 was so bad he got sent to Charlotte where he was not very good either. The fun stat there was 14 WP in 49.1 IP! Include in that 5.5 walks per nine innings, and pretty much a hit an inning, and he gets a WHIP of about 1.6. Looking over his whole minor league career, his numbers area actually worse in most areas than his major league career.

If you call MacDougal pretty good, you should love Marquez, because most of his years are better than MM's.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 01:15 PM)
2008 he pitched 17 innings.

Yeah, but he reason he only had 17 MLB innings is because he couldn't get the ball across the plate consistently in AAA either... where he had 48 more innings.

In those 48 innings, his BB/9 was 5.5 and he threw 14 wild pitches. Holy Schnikes.... that makes Ricky "Wild Thing" Vaughn look like Greg Maddux.

So we should all be glad Mac only had 17 innings in Chicago last year. Imagine if he had more...

Think about it... we were only one bad Mac performance away from watching the Twins take the AL Central title instead of us.

QUOTE (scenario @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 01:35 PM)
Yeah, but he reason he only had 17 MLB innings is because he couldn't get the ball across the plate consistently in AAA either... where he had 48 more innings.

In those 48 innings, his BB/9 was 5.5 and he threw 14 wild pitches. Holy Schnikes.... that makes Ricky "Wild Thing" Vaughn look like Greg Maddux.

So we should all be glad Mac only had 17 innings in Chicago last year. Imagine if he had more...

Think about it... we were only one bad Mac performance away from watching the Twins take the AL Central title instead of us.

You are the one arguing sample size. Not me. Its a good thing Marquez isn't in the Sox rotation right now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 01:27 PM)
He hasn't been good except a few years, and hasn't been good since 2006 in the majors. The guy has been sent to the minors every single year of his career except one (not including this one, but I am sure it is coming soon). 2008 was so bad he got sent to Charlotte where he was not very good either. The fun stat there was 14 WP in 49.1 IP! Include in that 5.5 walks per nine innings, and pretty much a hit an inning, and he gets a WHIP of about 1.6. Looking over his whole minor league career, his numbers area actually worse in most areas than his major league career.

If you call MacDougal pretty good, you should love Marquez, because most of his years are better than MM's.

I never said MacDougal was pretty good. I said the majority of his major league career he's been pretty good. The point being when someone sucks, it doesn't always take a certain amount of innings to determine he sucks. Hence Marquez. If he was as good as KW said in the press conference when he was acquired, what has happened to him in 5 innings in AAA would never have happened.