Is anyone staying in the White Sox "haunted hotel"?

caulfield12

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...sside17.article

At first, I was really annoyed with Cowley for writing this nonsense, but at least it made me laugh a little bit...with his trying so hard to be cool, hip and funny.

BA, please spend more time working on your swing and less time worried about ghosts, thank you. Or maybe the ghosts stole his swing with RISP?

Anderson tried to downplay the story before Thursday's Sox-Rays game.

''We got in late, we wanted to get a good night sleep and we figured, hey, if something does come about, as a unit, we can team up against it,'' Anderson said.

So he and Quentin were scared of something happening?

''No, I don't believe in that stuff,'' Anderson said, ''but we kind of looked at each other and said, 'Let's just get a room, man, and we'll share it and we can get a good night's sleep.'

''Everyone was chattering about it on the bus, so we were like, 'Dude, let's just get a room together. I don't want to deal with this, even if someone messes with us.' We just wanted to get a good night's sleep.''

During this series, Anderson is sleeping by himself like a big boy -- but in the Guest Towers, the newer, non-haunted part of the hotel.

Jermaine Dye also was thinking about having his room changed to the Guest Towers after Thursday's game, even though he's on the third floor of the main hotel.

The only members of the Sox' party currently on the fifth floor of the main hotel -- considered the hot spot of the hauntings -- are MLB.com writer Scott Merkin, who has promised to make any female ghost his Facebook friend if he sees one, and catcher A.J. Pierzynski, who dared any ghosts to come into his room.

Pierzynski has three rooms on the fifth floor for his family but wouldn't say if he has Room 521 because he doesn't want his teammates harassing him.

''If I do have 521, maybe I'll put my kids in there,'' Pierzynski joked.

Now the kicker: The Sci Fi Channel show ''Ghost Hunters'' investigated the Vinoy last July, and according to one of the hotel workers, since the TV crew left, ''there has been a beehive of paranormal activity, especially on the fifth floor.''

Sounds like a fun weekend.

Can any of them play center field?

Do the visiting teams pick their own hotels or do the home teams "provide" one? By "provide" I mean the visiting team still pays, but the home team selects.

If the Rays pick the hotel, I think this is a brilliant strategy - get Ghost Hunters to come out and declare the place haunted, etc.

QUOTE (mreye @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 08:39 AM)
Do the visiting teams pick their own hotels or do the home teams "provide" one? By "provide" I mean the visiting team still pays, but the home team selects.

If the Rays pick the hotel, I think this is a brilliant strategy - get Ghost Hunters to come out and declare the place haunted, etc.

Before anyone responds with a definite answer, I think you should sit back and think of reasons why a professional sports team would allow the opposing team to pick their hotel when they have a staff of several people whose job it is just to select hotels and rooms in hotels.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 09:18 AM)
Before anyone responds with a definite answer, I think you should sit back and think of reasons why a professional sports team would allow the opposing team to pick their hotel when they have a staff of several people whose job it is just to select hotels and rooms in hotels.

Well maybe not a specific hotel, but maybe a list of "choice" places.

QUOTE (mreye @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 10:23 AM)
Well maybe not a specific hotel, but maybe a list of "choice" places.

To be clear I'm not trying to be a dick, but why would they do that? Why would the White Sox as a professional team take suggestions of where to stay on a road trip they have been on many times with their own preferred hotel deals, locations, etc.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 08:26 AM)
To be clear I'm not trying to be a dick, but why would they do that? Why would the White Sox as a professional team take suggestions of where to stay on a road trip they have been on many times with their own preferred hotel deals, locations, etc.

It's entirely possible the local team may have better connections with hotels, and thus the teams might coordinate for road trips. Sox help the Rays get in to hotel when they're in town, and vice-versa.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 11:02 AM)
It's entirely possible the local team may have better connections with hotels, and thus the teams might coordinate for road trips. Sox help the Rays get in to hotel when they're in town, and vice-versa.

Come on, they are a pro team, they have all the connections they need. They literally have a staff of several people whose only job is to set up travel reservations.

A.J. Pierzynski, who dared any ghosts to come into his room.

Pierzynski has three rooms on the fifth floor for his family but wouldn't say if he has Room 521 because he doesn't want his teammates harassing him.

''If I do have 521, maybe I'll put my kids in there,'' Pierzynski joked.

:lolhitting

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 11:21 AM)
Come on, they are a pro team, they have all the connections they need. They literally have a staff of several people whose only job is to set up travel reservations.

Most "home" teams get contracts that are reduced rates and pass them on to "road" teams. Of course, it's up to the teams whether or not they use the reduced rate hotels.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 11:54 AM)
Most "home" teams get contracts that are reduced rates and pass them on to "road" teams. Of course, it's up to the teams whether or not they use the reduced rate hotels.

Where did you get that from? All MLB teams have the same corp rate, its not unlike any other large corporation.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 02:32 PM)
Where did you get that from? All MLB teams have the same corp rate, its not unlike any other large corporation.

Right, they do... and in addition, it's usually determined by the home teams where those rates apply. It actually depends - sometimes teams stay places where the MLB rates are not.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 02:55 PM)
Now that is good writing. Cowley could learn a lot from Merkin.

IMHO Merkin is a good writer, but he tends to be too much of tool of the White Sox, as he tends to never really question their moves.