Alex Gordon having hip surgery,

southsider2k5

I know this was in the AL Central thread, but it deserves it own thread IMO. This is a HUGE loss for KC.

http://www.kansascity.com/164/story/1146781.html

Royals' Gordon will have hip surgery; earliest return is weeks away

By SAM MELLINGER

The Kansas City Star

The Royals†chances this season depended on a list of things to go their way, including a breakout season from Alex Gordon. They know they wonâ€t get that now, not for a while, at least. Gordon will undergo surgery this morning to repair a tear in his right hip labrum.

The labrum is a piece of cartilage attached to the hip socket.

The news confirmed the Royals†worst fears. Gordon first felt tightness after the season opener and came close to going on the disabled list early this week before trying to play through the pain.

There wonâ€t be a timetable on Gordonâ€s return until after the surgery, but Yankees star Alex Rodriguez is expected to have about a nine-week rehab after a similar procedure.

“It really all depends on how the surgery goes and whatever,” Gordon said. “All I can say is: It depends on how (surgery) goes. Iâ€ll know more after it happens. I do know I have to do some rehab, but Iâ€ll have time to make it back for some part of the season. Itâ€s not a season-ender.”

Gordonâ€s surgery will be performed by Marc Philippon, a Colorado doctor who did Rodriguezâ€s procedure. Philippon has treated Greg Norman, Mario Lemieux and Priest Holmes and is sometimes known as the “hip doctor to the stars.”

No two injuries are exactly the same, but Rodriguezâ€s surgery was performed March 9, and doctors project a May 15 return. Philippon told reporters there was an 85 percent to 90 percent chance that Rodriguez could play the rest of the season, though the slugger will need a second surgery when the season is over.

If Gordonâ€s timetable turns out to be similar, he might be playing again toward the end of June.

“He tried to play through some things,” general manager Dayton Moore said. “Heâ€s got a pretty high tolerance.”

The injury is particularly bad news for the Royals, who are currently playing without cleanup hitter José Guillen, who is on the 15-day disabled list because of a different kind of hip injury.

The team has scored just 31 runs, 3.44 per game, which is last in the American League.

Mark Teahen moved from second base to right field in Guillenâ€s absence but now figures to get most of the time at third base. Mitch Maier, called up to replace Gordon on the roster, probably will share the duties in right field with Willie Bloomquist.

Playing with a makeshift lineup will focus even more attention on the Royals†struggle to score runs, and doing it without Gordon — who the Royals had hoped would be a catalyst for a much-improved offense — will make things even more difficult.

“Certainly anytime you lose two players like Alex Gordon and José Guillen, itâ€s a loss to your team,” Moore said. “But we need other players to step up. Mitch Maier is swinging the bat very well in (Class) AAA. Last year when he was up, he performed well. We expect him to do a great job.”

This is Gordonâ€s second trip to the disabled list. He missed 20 days late last season because of a strain in his right quad.

Gordonâ€s friends and family know him as tough — never one to let on when things are bothering him — so itâ€s not surprising that he tried to play through the injury. He went a combined zero for eight on Tuesday and Wednesday, both days saying he felt “100 percent.”

In some ways, maybe itâ€s reassuring to know thereâ€s something physically wrong. Gordon had been just two for 21 this season with eight strikeouts, one home run and three walks.

“I knew I was hurt,” Gordon said. “I knew that, but I was trying to play through it. I think just hearing it from a guy like Dr. Philippon kind of helped out, I guess.”