Top picks for White Sox road trips

southsider2k5

Tough call. My family is from Minnesota so going up there to watch the Sox hand it to them (the few times we do up there) is always fun. But I would have to put watching the White Sox in Boston and St. Louis were the two best experiences. Great, intense games. Great fans. Great atmosphere and the bars and nightlife were equally as fun.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 09:43 AM)
Camden Yards, and Fenway Park are musts. Jacobs Field, or Progressive, whatever they call it is pretty nice also. Definitely go to Baltimore and Boston though. I hear Safeco is amazing too.

Visiting Safeco during Memorial Day weekend. Can't wait.

PNC and Baltimore were my two favorite places if you consider the environment and the ballparks. Both parks are absolutely beautiful and well worth watching any team at, the fact that I've seen the Sox at both just make them that much better. Minneapolis is absolutely horrid because of the HHH, but I imagine it'll be much more enjoyable to go to games here next year when Target Field opens up. Minneapolis is a great city, but if you're planning on coming up here, wait a year. Don't even bother going until the new park opens up.

I've heard Miller Park is great, and I'll be heading there to see the Sox this summer so I'll be able to confirm it then.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 09:45 AM)
Visiting Safeco during Memorial Day weekend. Can't wait.

Went to Safeco last year and thought it was really nice and would definitely recommend it. You will really like it if you love the stink of garlic. Also love the city of Seattle, it’s beautiful out there and they have lots of delicious craft beers brewed out there.

Also been to Miller Park which was nice too, but not for a Sox game.

I've seen the Sox play in Comerica, PNC, Kauffman, Wrigley, and Great American (in 2 months I'll see them at GAB).

Comerica was fun but that's when the Tigers were losing 100 games. PNC was just awesome and we never got into any problems with any of their fans. Kauffman was fun the first time but due to the fact that it was a 110 heat index last year, the Sox didn't show up, and the fans were a**hats, that was that trip miserable. I'm hoping GAB is fun, too.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

New York is the best experience. Wearing a Sox hat to Yankee Stadium was a lot of fun. The comments are hysterical. Of course I looked into going this year but tickets behind the dugout were $900 a piece so why bother now? Boston is great too. You can stay in the Back Bay and walk to Fenway with a ton to do. I actually took a duck tour and it was interesting. Baltimore is fun. Minneapolis, cheap and fun, and although the Metrodome is a dump, its really not that bad to watch a game in. Milwaukee, Cincinatti are fun. Detroit is great for watching the game, everything else, unless you're 25 and single and want to stay in Windsor, is brutal.

What, no votes for the Ballpark in Arlington, the nearly world famous launching pad and sign stealing? :D

The life outside of it sucks, though, although it will rapidly get better because of the new Boss Hawg Bowl opening up a mile away. Actually in all seriousness if they can get everything in like they want to, this will be a very nice place to catch a game in the next 5 years.

Edited by kapkomet

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 10:27 AM)
What, no votes for the Ballpark in Arlington, the nearly world famous launching pad and sign stealing? :D

The life outside of it sucks, though, although it will rapidly get better because of the new Boss Hawg Bowl opening up a mile away. Actually in all seriousness if they can get everything in like they want to, this will be a very nice place to catch a game in the next 5 years.

There is NOTHING within walking distance though. If you drive around a bit, there is some cool stuff.

I've seen the Sox play in 5 ballparks, and 3 of them are no longer in existance. Those would be old Comiskey, Tiger Stadium and the Old Busch Satdium. The other two are the Ballpark in Arlington and of course, the Cell. I wish they'd schedule the Sox back in St. Louis soon. Why do we always play the Pirates and never the Cards?

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 11:32 AM)
Yankee Stadium.

There really was something about that place.

I went there last year - it was pretty much a dump though. It definitely had the aura, but good god was it a horrible stadium.

Living here in MD I will vouch for Camden Yards, I try to go see the Sox play at least once a year and at this point I think I've been there more than the Cell. I'll be going in a couple of weeks.