Kannapolis @ Bowling Green

Hudson vs. Andujar

Radio feeds

• Charlotte Knights (AAA): Listen

• Birmingham Barons (AA): Listen

• Winston-Salem Dash (A Adv.): Listen

• Kannapolis Intimidators (A): Listen

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Apr 18, 2009 -> 08:11 PM)
Apparently Dexter Carter left the Kanny game Friday night in the 4th inning with an injury.

Not sure what it was.

His facebook status says that his ankle hurts... maybe thats what it was?

QUOTE (scenario @ Apr 18, 2009 -> 07:43 PM)
Carlos Torres with his second consecutive very good outing for Charlotte. (He's still in the game.)

After 5 innings: 0 runs on 3 hits; 7 K's and 2 BB's.

Carlos is a K machine, he locates his fastball really well and it gains velocity the longer he pitches during a start. He's the David Cook of pitchers in the White Sox organization. Plus, he's hysterical.

Edited by JPN366

SEVIERVILLE - Boston pitcher Jonathan Papelbon is a right-hander while Tennessee Smokies reliever Jeremy Papelbon is a lefty. But the biggest difference between the Red Sox reliever and his younger brother is the velocity of their fastball.

The all-star closer's high-90s heater is overpowering while the minor leaguer's No. 1 tops out at 86 mph.

Both can be effective but the younger Papelbon has little room for error as evidence by Saturday's night's appearance.

Birmingham's Stefan Gartrell cranked a two-run home run off Papelbon and Gordon Beckham a disputed solo shot as the Barons muscled their way to an 8-3 Southern League win over Tennessee at Smokies Park.

"Tonight wasn't his night but he'll be back out there," Tennessee manager Ryne Sandberg said of Papelbon. "He's a little trickster out there at times and he can be effective."

The Chicago Cubs' 19th round draft pick in 2006 must rely on finesse instead of power.

"Up to this point, he has had some good outings for us and in the past," Sandberg said.

Papelbon yielded only one run in four appearances spanning 5 1/3 innings this season before serving up Gartrell's third homer.

"A mistake, a hanging slider," Papelbon said. "All my stuff was kind of flat and up in the zone. When that happens they are going to hit it pretty far."

Papelbon's line (1 1/3 innings, five hits, five runs, a walk and two strikeouts) reflected that.

"I have to work both sides of the plate and mainly stay low in the zone," he said.

The 25-year-old from Jacksonville, Fla., had a streak of 35 scoreless innings for Class A Daytona last year. He virtually did not allow a run the second half.

"I had a lot of good defense behind me but I located the ball really well and was throwing some good sinkers," Papelbon said. "It was a good pitch for me and every time I went out I had some of my best stuff."

Beckham's second homer of the season landed on the berm near the left field foul pole.

"A flat slider that hung over the plate," he said. "I thought it was foul but you've got to go with what's called in the field."

The Barons (6-3) broke through in the third inning after two were out against starter Jay Jackson (0-2) on a run-scoring double by Tyler Flowers and Brandon Allen's triple. Jackson yielded two runs on four hits over five innings.

"He threw better and that was good to see," Sandberg said. "He made some improvement but we didn't do much offensively while he was out there."

Tennessee nicked Birmingham's Lucas Harrell (1-0) for a run in the third on consecutive doubles by Brandon Guyer and Darwin Barney but that was all the support for Jackson.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 18, 2009 -> 10:50 PM)
I wouldn't lump Carrasco with MacDougal. Not by a mile.

They're actually like mirror opposites, aren't they?

One guy with great stuff and no control.

The other with good control but no stuff.

Carrasco has decent or average stuff for a reliever...91-93 MPH, nothing special, but MacDougal's lost about 5 MPH off his fastball (like Colon) and that slider isn't consistent enough to work backwards from.

At least Carrasco knows how to pitch out of trouble...sometimes a lot better than our Big 4 relievers.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 19, 2009 -> 11:45 AM)
Carrasco has decent or average stuff for a reliever...91-93 MPH, nothing special, but MacDougal's lost about 5 MPH off his fastball (like Colon) and that slider isn't consistent enough to work backwards from.

I don't Mac has lost any speed. The power is still there. It's just that he has less control over his fastball than he does over his other pitches. So, he's had to back off on velocity to try and get it over the plate.

If he leans back and fires, he can still hit 97. But it's more likely to go to the backstop than in the catcher's mitt.

Edited by scenario