Lineups for today

chisox2334

I like it. Alexei needs a day off, and Fields could use one as well. We gotta get Dye a day off soon, but if so, that means we might have to actually see Jerry Owens starting.

Hopefully Garza doesn't have his top stuff today... what were the Twins thinking when they traded him?

QUOTE (BearSox @ Apr 19, 2009 -> 10:38 AM)
Hopefully Garza doesn't have his top stuff today... what were the Twins thinking when they traded him?

They were thinking that Delmon Young was one of the best young players in the game and was ready to breakout to elite status.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Apr 19, 2009 -> 10:45 AM)
They were thinking that Delmon Young was one of the best young players in the game and was ready to breakout to elite status.

It's not looking like that will happen with the Twins. Young might need a new start with another team. He didn't fit the Twins youngster mold and now he is off his game.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Apr 19, 2009 -> 10:59 AM)
It's not looking like that will happen with the Twins. Young might need a new start with another team. He didn't fit the Twins youngster mold and now he is off his game.

I dont know what a new start could do for him again. The guy is starting, its not like the Twins are holding him back or anything. He plays a decent to good defense, and was regarded as a really good hitter, I dont know why that wasnt in the Twins mold of young players.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Apr 19, 2009 -> 10:59 AM)

Delmon Young is still an infant baseball-wise. If the Twins want to give him up for nothing, I suggest KW get on the cell phone. He's only 4 months older than Tyler Flowers and only 1 year older than Gordon Beckham. It might not ever click for him, but there is still plenty of time. He swings at everything, but he has a ton of talent.

I dont know what a new start could do for him again. The guy is starting, its not like the Twins are holding him back or anything. He plays a decent to good defense, and was regarded as a really good hitter, I dont know why that wasnt in the Twins mold of young players.

Delmon Young is a defensive liability.

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2008/11/1...-defense-by-pmr

Young doesn't fit because he's a "me-first" player.

He's a very bad baserunner, a little bit out of shape...and his fundamentals are non-existent. Young was always the best player on the diamond, so he never had to learn how to do anything but hit, and now it's coming back to bite him.

When you're not hitting for 20-30 HR power and you're a drag on the team defensively, then you need to do other things to help your team win...Young just has no idea where the strike zone is sometimes (typical for young/er players who are promoted so quickly and don't spend much time in AA/AAA) and he's very susceptible to breaking balls outside of the zone.

It's amazing though, all the talent in that system at one point...D. Young, Josh Hamilton, Jonny Gomes, Baldelli, Dukes, I think Toe Nash was even in the Rays' system. Maybe that's wrong.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Apr 19, 2009 -> 11:37 AM)
Delmon Young is a defensive liability.

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2008/11/1...-defense-by-pmr

Juan Pierre, Carlos Lee, Alfonso Soriano all much better than Carlos Quentin. One of those defensive stats wizards has Soriano as one of the best LF in baseball. Young can throw, as far as the rest of his defensive prowess, I really don't know, but I take a lot of defensive rankings with a grain of salt. There's probably some merit to them, but sometimes they seem beyond stretching it.

All those guys end up getting higher ratings because they're run on so much that they have a ton of assists just by the sheer volume of throws they make. However, with Soriano, you would think they might learn, because while he gets bad reads/jumps, he's always been able to throw the ball pretty accurately and without bringing down rain.

By the way, has anyone ever contributed more to a team with JUST one hit than Lillibridge has this season?

Juan Pierre, Carlos Lee, Alfonso Soriano all much better than Carlos Quentin. One of those defensive stats wizards has Soriano as one of the best LF in baseball. Young can throw, as far as the rest of his defensive prowess, I really don't know, but I take a lot of defensive rankings with a grain of salt. There's probably some merit to them, but sometimes they seem beyond stretching it.

I do too, but I've seen Delmon play in person and he is very Jermaine Dye-like.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Apr 19, 2009 -> 11:09 AM)

His defense is horrid and he's got terrible plate discipline. If he could learn how not to swing at breaking balls at his feet, he'd be much better off.

QUOTE (Felix @ Apr 19, 2009 -> 12:14 PM)
His defense is horrid and he's got terrible plate discipline. If he could learn how not to swing at breaking balls at his feet, he'd be much better off.

Which is most likely why the Twins were more than willing to deal Young...

That and the fact that they have Denard Span, Carlos Gomez, and Michael Cuddyer already. I'm curious to see how long Delmon gets before he either gets benched of moved, but I suspect they won't trade him too quickly given how much they gave up to get him.