MLB Discipline for pitchers a joke

Wanne

Beckett gets his suspension reduced...and won't even miss a start. What's the point of suspending starting pitchers if they don't even miss a start? I'm sure everybody's seen the play and all...and in my opinion Beckett's turned out as a mini-punk-ass Clemens. All badass when he doesn't have to hit. Very talented pitcher...but he's turned into probably the person on another team I hate the most.

i was going to post something just like this earlier, I had the exact same thought. Whats the point in suspension if you never actually remove the player from playing the game like you do with position players?

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Apr 19, 2009 -> 04:51 PM)
i was going to post something just like this earlier, I had the exact same thought. Whats the point in suspension if you never actually remove the player from playing the game like you do with position players?

In this case, they clearly judged on appeal that the suspension was unwarranted. No other way to look at it.

I think the suspensions are uncalled for anyway. He wasn't throwing at Abreu, and if anything, Abreu overreacted. The reason why the pitch was high and tight was because Beckett's release angle on the pitch got all messed up when he saw the umpire stop and call for time when he was in the middle of throwing. Hell, I'd suspend that umpire for calling time when a pitcher was in the process of throwing. If a batter asks for time, you don't need to grant it.

The MLB has become too much of a pansy league. The umpires today need to let the players play the game, and the league has to stop overreacting over small crap like this. Nothing happened, no punches were thrown.... let the players play!

He doesn't get paid during the suspension, so at least that's something. Milton Bradley's appealing his two game suspension when he can't even play. I personally think he might be doing it so he doesn't lose the two day paycheck (which is probably somewhere around $10,000).

QUOTE (BearSox @ Apr 19, 2009 -> 07:14 PM)
I think the suspensions are uncalled for anyway. He wasn't throwing at Abreu, and if anything, Abreu overreacted. The reason why the pitch was high and tight was because Beckett's release angle on the pitch got all messed up when he saw the umpire stop and call for time when he was in the middle of throwing. Hell, I'd suspend that umpire for calling time when a pitcher was in the process of throwing. If a batter asks for time, you don't need to grant it.

The MLB has become too much of a pansy league. The umpires today need to let the players play the game, and the league has to stop overreacting over small crap like this. Nothing happened, no punches were thrown.... let the players play!

If he didn't throw at Abreu, it sure didn't seem that way when he decided to approach the plate.

You'd suspend the ump for calling time? Beckett's set up was unusually long during that play. Yeah the ump didn't have to grant time but he did. Being suspended? Kinda stupid. Kinda really stupid.

I do think Beckett should of missed a start or two for his little act, hell even for heading to the plate to run his little mouth. If Abreu had even gone half that far he would of been thrown out the game & suspended.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Apr 19, 2009 -> 06:41 PM)
Beckett gets his suspension reduced...and won't even miss a start. What's the point of suspending starting pitchers if they don't even miss a start? I'm sure everybody's seen the play and all...and in my opinion Beckett's turned out as a mini-punk-ass Clemens. All badass when he doesn't have to hit. Very talented pitcher...but he's turned into probably the person on another team I hate the most.

The Red Sox are trash and Fenway is a big dumpster.

There is really no other way to discipline a pitcher.. what are they gonna do, say you are suspended for 4 starts? Thats not an exact set thing like each game is.

If they get suspended by starts, that turns a 4 game suspension for a pitcher into a month long punishment for the team which isn't really fair.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Apr 19, 2009 -> 07:14 PM)

Wow, you're just way off.

Over 10 seconds had passed before Abreu called time. I don't know if you realize this but that's an eternity and would freeze any hitter. Trying to put any blame on the umpire or Abreu for this is ignorant. Suspend an umpire for calling time in a completely justified situation?

You must love Beckett or something. Release angle all messed up. LOL.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 20, 2009 -> 07:36 AM)
Won't Beckett lose 5 days worth of pay? That's gotta be worth something.

Yes, and that is the only real punishment here.. I doubt he gives a s*** about not being able to pitch for 5 days, but not getting paid is something else

There is really no other way to discipline a pitcher.. what are they gonna do, say you are suspended for 4 starts? Thats not an exact set thing like each game is.

If they get suspended by starts, that turns a 4 game suspension for a pitcher into a month long punishment for the team which isn't really fair.

Or a manager can name the pitcher to be the starting pitcher 4 games in a row and have "a late replacement" and the supension will be in up just in time for the starter's regular spot.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Apr 20, 2009 -> 04:32 PM)
Or a manager can name the pitcher to be the starting pitcher 4 games in a row and have "a late replacement" and the supension will be in up just in time for the starter's regular spot.

exactly, there is just no other way to do it

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 20, 2009 -> 07:17 AM)
Wow, you're just way off.

Over 10 seconds had passed before Abreu called time. I don't know if you realize this but that's an eternity and would freeze any hitter. Trying to put any blame on the umpire or Abreu for this is ignorant. Suspend an umpire for calling time in a completely justified situation?

You must love Beckett or something. Release angle all messed up. LOL.

I hate Beckett, but I hate stupid umpires a lot more. So what if it was a long set by Beckett. You still don't call time when he was in the process of throwing. That can injury the pitcher. It should be a new rule where umpires can only call time when they are 100% sure the pitcher isn't in the process of throwing.

Also, have you ever been in the process of throwing ball, and right before you do, someone screams stop? If so, you'll realize that in that situation, you'll be distracted and the ball will likely go no where where you intended it to.

Oh, and I wouldn't like it either if Abreu was yelling at me for that s*** as well. I could very well see how someone could get pissed at Abreu about that.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Apr 20, 2009 -> 08:46 PM)
I hate Beckett, but I hate stupid umpires a lot more. So what if it was a long set by Beckett. You still don't call time when he was in the process of throwing. That can injury the pitcher. It should be a new rule where umpires can only call time when they are 100% sure the pitcher isn't in the process of throwing.

Also, have you ever been in the process of throwing ball, and right before you do, someone screams stop? If so, you'll realize that in that situation, you'll be distracted and the ball will likely go no where where you intended it to.

Oh, and I wouldn't like it either if Abreu was yelling at me for that s*** as well. I could very well see how someone could get pissed at Abreu about that.

Beckett took way too long to deliver. How Abreu didn't ask for time after about 5 seconds, I don't know. And time was called before he went into his delivery. Beckett didn't see it because he was looking at the runner on 2nd.

I'd like to know how you'd go about predicting when a pitcher will start his delivery. It could have been any of those TEN SECONDS. But it was called before deliver. No umpire will call time after a pitcher has already started his delivery. You're seeing it wrong.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Apr 20, 2009 -> 08:46 PM)

Agreed, but I would also agree

When the ump called time, the pitcher gets pissed, and figures wtf, I'll toss one at him, it is a free ball.