Interesting Oz quote about Gavin Floyd

greg775

“I don’t want to say he’s my ace, but he’s one of the top pitchers right now in the big leagues, and he continued to throw the ball well,” Guillen said.

Gotta love Gavin striking out seven and walking none and not allowing a run til the late bomb. Nice outing.

Forgot to mention that comment was in Mark Gonzales' game story on today's rout.

Edited by greg775

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really agree with him that he's one of the top pitcher in the majors since he's the 3rd best pitcher on this staff, but it's hard to deny that Gavin has been pretty good. Hopefully that dreadful start against Detroit was an aberration.

QUOTE (Felix @ Apr 19, 2009 -> 11:07 PM)
I don't really agree with him that he's one of the top pitcher in the majors since he's the 3rd best pitcher on this staff, but it's hard to deny that Gavin has been pretty good. Hopefully that dreadful start against Detroit was an aberration.

If he's the third best pitcher on this staff, we are going to have a damn good year.

And I'm not diminishing anyone on the staff when I say this - I mean it in the way that says we have a tremendous 1-3 then.

If Count and Colon can pitch well and win 25 games between them, then we are REALLY going to have a good year.

QUOTE (Felix @ Apr 19, 2009 -> 09:07 PM)

He's the best pitcher on this staff.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 20, 2009 -> 09:01 AM)

He has the best stuff on the staff. I'll give him that.

He's still missing a bit of consistency.

Right now, I see Danks starting and I figure "Score 2 and we'll probably win." I see Floyd starting and think "if he's on, score 1 and we probably win...if he's not, then we need 5 or 6".

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 20, 2009 -> 11:08 AM)
He has the best stuff on the staff. I'll give him that.

He's still missing a bit of consistency.

Right now, I see Danks starting and I figure "Score 2 and we'll probably win." I see Floyd starting and think "if he's on, score 1 and we probably win...if he's not, then we need 5 or 6".

Completely agree with you assessment.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 20, 2009 -> 01:09 PM)
In terms of stuff on the staff i'd say: Floyd (for the Curve), Danks, Buehrle, Colon, Contreras. Floyd's issue has always been confidence, it's an incredible testament to Ozzie and Coop that they managed to instill it into this kid.

Really? If Contreras' forkball is on...he's devastating. Colon should be last on that list. He's not a stuff guy anymore.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 20, 2009 -> 11:01 AM)

There's a reason Danks didn't accept the same deal as Floyd when it was offered to him. He's a better pitcher than Floyd, just look at their years last year. Danks had a higher K/9, lower BB/9 (and as a result, a better K/BB), lower HR/9, and higher ERA+. He did all of this while being 2 years younger than Floyd. Sure, Floyd won 5 more games, but that has to do with Gavin getting a run and a half more per game than Danks (5.9 to 4.3). And anyway, wins are a worthless stat to evaluate individual pitcher performance.

I'll also point out that Floyd was incredibly lucky last season (.259 BABIP compared to Danks' .295), something that likely won't continue in future seasons.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 20, 2009 -> 04:45 PM)
I say lets graft them together and make them one super ambidextrous pitcher.

only if mister super ambidextrous pitcher has twice the stamina and can pitch 2 days out of every 5. then i'm so down.

QUOTE (Felix @ Apr 20, 2009 -> 04:13 PM)
There's a reason Danks didn't accept the same deal as Floyd when it was offered to him. He's a better pitcher than Floyd, just look at their years last year. Danks had a higher K/9, lower BB/9 (and as a result, a better K/BB), lower HR/9, and higher ERA+. He did all of this while being 2 years younger than Floyd. Sure, Floyd won 5 more games, but that has to do with Gavin getting a run and a half more per game than Danks (5.9 to 4.3). And anyway, wins are a worthless stat to evaluate individual pitcher performance.

I'll also point out that Floyd was incredibly lucky last season (.259 BABIP compared to Danks' .295), something that likely won't continue in future seasons.

I'll also point out that he was freakishly lucky in the first half (.218), but that averaged out well in the second half (.304). In that second half, his K rate increased slightly (from 6.0 to 6.7) but his K/BB almost doubled (from 1.60 to 3.04), and his HR/9 also decreased slightly too (1.37 to 1.24).

And in 3 starts this year, he's been absolutely fantastic in every possible way in 2 starts, and he was terrible in 1 start. I'll give him a little more time, but I still think Floyd is in for a very big year.

Danks didn't win as many games as Floyd because Danks didn't go as deep into games as Floyd and thus was more reliant on the pen. I think both are great pitchers and have the ability to be front of the rotation guys but I love Gavin Floyd (Danks too for that matter).

Danks

starts: 33

6+ IP: 23 outings

7+ IP: 7 outings

8+ IP: 2 outings

avg run support: 4.29

zero runs: 3 outings

0-3 runs: 16 outings

8+ runs: 4 outings

Floyd

6+ IP: 25 outings

7+ IP: 11 outings

8+ IP: 3 outings

avg run support: 5.90

zero runs: 1 outing

0-3 runs: 8 outings

8+ runs: 9 outings

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 20, 2009 -> 07:13 PM)
Danks

6+ IP: 23 outings

7+ IP: 7 outings

8+ IP: 2 outings

avg run support: 4.29

zero runs: 3 outings

0-3 runs: 16 outings

8+ runs: 4 outings

Floyd

6+ IP: 25 outings

7+ IP: 11 outings

8+ IP: 3 outings

avg run support: 5.90

zero runs: 1 outing

0-3 runs: 8 outings

8+ runs: 9 outings

This is much better than what I was going to show, which was the fact that Danks averaged 6 innings per start last year while Floyd was at 6.3 IP/S.

None of this is meant to take anything away from Floyd, who is a good pitcher, but he's not the same class as John Danks.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (Felix @ Apr 20, 2009 -> 08:24 PM)
None of this is meant to take anything away from Floyd, who is a good pitcher, but he's not the same class as John Danks.

Can we simply be happy that we're debating whether 24 year old lefty who went 12-9, 195 IP, 3.32 ERA, 159 Ks is better than a 26 year old righty that went 17-8, 3.84 ERA, 145 Ks and that both are off to great starts this year?

It'd be like a Lakers fan debating whether Magic, Kobe, or Kareem was the best.