Interesting Oz quote about Gavin Floyd

greg775

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 20, 2009 -> 11:08 AM)
Danks is the man.

It will take Ozzie a while to figure out that Danks is the real ace probably longer than it took Quentin to finally get a shot last season.

Edited by SoxAce

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 21, 2009 -> 12:57 PM)
It will take Ozzie a while to figure out that Danks is the real ace probably longer than it took Quentin to finally get a shot last season.

It took them 2 games to give Quentin the shot.

They've been appropriately careful with Danks, trying to limit his innings and pitch count while he's still under 25. It's an intelligent thing to do.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 21, 2009 -> 03:13 PM)
It took them 2 games to give Quentin the shot.

They've been appropriately careful with Danks, trying to limit his innings and pitch count while he's still under 25. It's an intelligent thing to do.

This.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 20, 2009 -> 06:52 PM)
Danks didn't win as many games as Floyd because Danks didn't go as deep into games as Floyd and thus was more reliant on the pen. I think both are great pitchers and have the ability to be front of the rotation guys but I love Gavin Floyd (Danks too for that matter).

How many games did danks get an L for that sox lost 2-1, 2-0, 1-0, etc. Floyd had exponentially more run support that Danks.

Which is also why W/L for a pitcher are really meaningless. They need to create an adjusted stat to take into account what the offense did.

Edited by Jenksy Cat

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Apr 21, 2009 -> 04:33 PM)
How many games did danks get an L for that sox lost 2-1, 2-0, 1-0, etc. Floyd had exponentially more run support that Danks.

Which is also why W/L for a pitcher are really meaningless. They need to create an adjusted stat to take into account what the offense did.

John Danks' expected W/L total (which is based on how often pitchers with the same innings pitched and runs allowed earned a win or loss historically) for last season was 14.1 W and 8.4 L which was the 5th highest E(W) total in the American League. Floyd's was 11.5 W and 12.6 L good for 20th in the AL.

John Danks >>>>> Gavin Floyd

• 3 weeks later...

Just so you know . . .

Of the 110 starting pitchers with at least 30 IP this season Gavin Floyd ranks:

110th in ERA at 7.32

109th in WHIP at 1.88

109th in Hits allowed with 53

t-108th in Wild pitches with 5

105th in VORP at -4.9

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 12, 2009 -> 11:13 PM)
Just so you know . . .

110th in ERA at 7.32

109th in WHIP at 1.88

105th in VORP at -4.9

Definitely overachieving at regression.

Just so you know . . .

110th in ERA at 7.32

109th in WHIP at 1.88

105th in VORP at -4.9

Wow. Those stats are amazing. Scary.

Fortunately, I think Floyd's problems are primarily mental. He's out of sorts. But I still think he finds a way to put it together and have a decent season from June to the end. Not spectacular, not as good as 2008, but mid-rotation decent.

And I saw Fields last night trying to make adjustments as well - we'll see if he can shorten up that bat load a bit.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 13, 2009 -> 07:53 AM)
Fortunately, I think Floyd's problems are primarily mental. He's out of sorts. But I still think he finds a way to put it together and have a decent season from June to the end. Not spectacular, not as good as 2008, but mid-rotation decent.

And I saw Fields last night trying to make adjustments as well - we'll see if he can shorten up that bat load a bit.

He looks like a guy who is trying to justify a long term contract extention with every perfect pitch. He needs to get it through his head to get it over the plate early and let his stuff take care of the rest, just like last year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 13, 2009 -> 08:32 AM)
He looks like a guy who is trying to justify a long term contract extention with every perfect pitch. He needs to get it through his head to get it over the plate early and let his stuff take care of the rest, just like last year.

Good point. It seems so easy from here, yet so many players, of all abilities, have that same struggle after signing a contract.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 13, 2009 -> 08:53 AM)

I don't think that's a good thing for a guy like Floyd. If it were MB or Danks then that would be fine because you know they can get over mental lapses. Floyd is guy who will start to dwell on it, like PK. All of a sudden a couple bad starts turns into a bad half of a season.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 12, 2009 -> 11:13 PM)
Just so you know . . .

110th in ERA at 7.32

109th in WHIP at 1.88

105th in VORP at -4.9

65th in FIP (fielding independent pitching)

110th in BABIP (batting average on balls in play)

He's sucked but been unlucky too

QUOTE (3E8 @ May 13, 2009 -> 08:50 AM)
65th in FIP (fielding independent pitching)

110th in BABIP (batting average on balls in play)

He's sucked but been unlucky too

It'll come down simply because it has to but your BABIP is going to be high when every ball is scalded, these aren't groundballs squeaking through the infield or ducksnorts in front of guys, they're shots all over the yard. I know that it can't stay that high all season but just from watching all his starts you can see that there's a reason why it's inflated.

As for his FIP; it's a very good sign that he's going to improve as the year goes on. He's not walking a ton of hitters, not allowing a lot of homeruns and still striking out a good amount of hitters so it's going to be pretty low. I get that this is pretty much the purpose of FIP but once again it's not taking into account just how hard those balls in play are hit.

One more thing. His HR/FB is only at 8.3% right now, at what point does that number begin to rise along with his FIP?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 13, 2009 -> 09:35 AM)
As for his FIP; it's a very good sign that he's going to improve as the year goes on. He's not walking a ton of hitters, not allowing a lot of homeruns and still striking out a good amount of hitters so

He's 2nd in the AL in walks.

Here's my question. At what point do we swallow 15 million? Because if the idea is that we keep running him out there because we gave him this contract, somebody needs to lecture this organization on the economic concept of a sunk cost.

If this guy has an ERA even above 6.00 (let alone above 7.00) by the all-star break, we potentially have a major meltdown on our hands.

I'd give him 3 more starts and then if the regression continues, I don't know what you can do but find out what else you have in the minors to potentially replace him.