Nix to rehab with Barons...

JPN366

From the Barons weekly newsletter...and I thought the Esteban Loaiza rehab stint last year was exciting...

Jayson Nix to Rehab with Barons

White Sox second baseman Jayson Nix will begin a three-game rehab stint with the Birmingham Barons when the team opens a 5-game series with Jacksonville Monday night at Regions Park.

Nix, who competed for the White Sox starting second baseman gig during Spring Training, has been out with a strained right quadriceps since the middle of March. He originally injured the quadriceps during a Spring Training contest on March 4 playing against the Cubs in Las Vegas, and re-injured the leg trying to let out a double against Arizona on March 17. He hit .462 in seven Spring Training game. A member of the Colorado Rockies organization for the previous eight seasons, Nix signed with the White Sox in October.

The 26-year old opened the 2008 season as the starting second baseman for the Colorado Rockies before being designated for assignment at the end of April. He was later optioned to Triple-A Colorado Springs where he hit .303 with 17 home runs 51 RBI for the Sky Sox.

Nix has also been affiliated with USA Baseball for the past two years, earning the starting second baseman job for Team USA during the Beijing Olympics. His time in Beijing was cut short when Nix squared to bunt against Cuba, only to have the ball ricochet off the bat and into his eye. He received a two-inch gash above his left eye and didn't return until the medal round, a week later. He ended the tournament hitting .214 with one home run and one RBI.

Nix was also named the Most Outstanding Player of the 2007 World Cup in Taiwan as well as USA Baseball's Athlete of the Year in 2007. He hit .387 (12-for-31) with six extra-base hits during the World Cup, including a two-RBI performance in a winning effort against Cuba in the Finals.

Jayson's older brother Laynce is an outfielder in the Cincinnati Red organization.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (scenario @ Apr 20, 2009 -> 12:03 PM)
Great news. I wonder what the timeline is for the Sox to bring him back up.

Well, it's only three games, I imagine something will occur Thursday or Friday. If they want him in the majors, then Jerry Owens could be on borrowed time. If they want him in Charlotte or to continue his rehab up there, Keith Ginter may be in trouble.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Apr 20, 2009 -> 10:06 AM)
Well, it's only three games, I imagine something will occur Thursday or Friday. If they want him in the majors, then Jerry Owens could be on borrowed time. If they want him in Charlotte or to continue his rehab up there, Keith Ginter may be in trouble.

I'm not sure if he has any options left to be sent to AAA unless it's still considered a rehab assignment. If not we have to send him up to the big club or put him on waivers and with the way he played in spring he prolly won't make it through.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Apr 20, 2009 -> 02:39 PM)
I'm not sure if he has any options left to be sent to AAA unless it's still considered a rehab assignment. If not we have to send him up to the big club or put him on waivers and with the way he played in spring he prolly won't make it through.

I'm thinking he would make it through. Everyone could have signed him this past offseason. His spring training numbers were stellar but it was the first couple of weeks of games where pitchers were far from 100% in terms of effectiveness.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 20, 2009 -> 02:44 PM)
I'm thinking he would make it through. Everyone could have signed him this past offseason. His spring training numbers were stellar but it was the first couple of weeks of games where pitchers were far from 100% in terms of effectiveness.

Who would you rather take that the risk of losing... Nix or Owens?

Edited by scenario