Brent Lillibridge in CF?

WinningUgly85

That's my point...they were SO far out of the zone, not even Anderson, Ramirez or Vladmir Guerrero would have swung at them.

That won't continue...looking at his at-bats, you would think opposing pitchers were seeing Pujols or Hanley Ramirez at the plate.

Eventually it will even out and he'll have to hit his way on base with some authority.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 02:31 PM)
That's my point...they were SO far out of the zone, not even Anderson, Ramirez or Vladmir Guerrero would have swung at them.

That won't continue...looking at his at-bats, you would think opposing pitchers were seeing Pujols or Hanley Ramirez at the plate.

You're really reaching.

Okay.

Brian Anderson is 3 for 13 with 6 K's when he starts out with an 0-1 count.

He's 3 for 10 with 6 walks when he starts out with a 1-0 count.

In those situations...he's getting a ball 43.5% of the time. That ratio (first pitch balls to strikes) will even out eventually. No quality big league pitchers throw anywhere close to 45% first pitch balls, especially to #9 hitters in the order.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 02:40 PM)
Okay.

In those situations...he's getting a ball 43.5% of the time. That ratio (first pitch balls to strikes) will even out eventually. No quality big league pitchers throw anywhere close to 45% first pitch balls, especially to #9 hitters in the order.

So its his fault that the pitchers were bad? What I see is that Brian was adjusting for what the pitchers were giving to him, to me thats a quality AB.

Okay.

And he's 3 for 4 with 6 walks after 2-0. So its not like every AB he's 2-0. If it were, no one would have a BA complaint right now. If he's that good at 2-0 it behooves him to try to get to that count. His swing is long right now. No one knows it more than him. When and if he's able to adjust things will be very different and all the complaining about a young guy who hasn't had consistent playing time in 3 years will come to an end. Its not easy playing infrequently, especially for a young guy learning his way.

Okay.

And as has been pointed out to multiple times, the book on Anderson was to make him chase bad pitches, so he was adjusting by taking them. He WANTS the trend to change, and it will. That is what being more selective, and taking walks, does for a hitter.

And I can't believe you brought up, again, that Wise was treated worse. Wise has been bad, in the majors and the minors, for YEARS. He is an entirely different case.

Wise was good last year against RHP.

He had a 797 OPS in over 100 at-bats against RHP in 2008, but that seems to get thrown out/dismissed/overlooked conveniently.

Nobody said he was an All-Star or the next Eric Ludwick.

As far as Anderson goes....let's revisit all of our evaluation on May 30th. Agreed?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 03:22 PM)
He had a 797 OPS in over 100 at-bats against RHP in 2008, but that seems to get thrown out/dismissed/overlooked conveniently.

As a 30-year old career minor leaguer. There's something about the combination of age and lack of sample size (and minor league history, as well as past major league history) that screams aberration to me, I don't know what. I know it's pretty common for 30-year old nobodies to come from nowhere and become starters, so it can't be that...

Edited by Felix