4/20 Games

danman31

QUOTE (Cali @ Apr 20, 2009 -> 06:39 PM)
Beckham at second....please stay there for a while and keep mashing. We'll see you in Chicago soon, sir.

Why? Getz has been doing a good job. He certainly isn't hurting us.

Ide rather see Beckham stay in the minors all season, obviously as long as Getz keeps playing well. That will only help us out in the end when Beckham is ready and we need to make some moves.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 20, 2009 -> 08:05 PM)
I think Nix is playing SS only to show if he can be a back up on the Sox. This move has nothing to do with Beckham other than to keep in the lineup tonight.

That won't keep people (I'm thinking media members) from checking the box score and making it out to be something it's not. If Nix is going to make the big league roster when his rehab assignment is up then he's gonna have to prove to the organization that he can play a competent SS and that's what they're trying to find out tonight.

Nix just had an RBI...3-1 Barons into the 5th.

Beckham is 1 for 3 and Shelby has two walks. David Cook has an RBI triple.

Ely pitching pretty decently so far tonight.

FWIW, Jacksonville is 8-2 and has been the best team in the Southern League up til this point in the season.

Ely just got tagged for a 3 run homer off the scoreboard...4-3 JAX going into the bottom of the 5th. Good game.

BTW, have a game Ben Gordon.

Flowers with infield single to left side, Allen double, Cruz 3/3...2 rbi single up the middle for Nix gives him three RBI's for the game, 7-4 Barons, two on for Beckham.

Three run, bases clearing double (second hit of the inning) puts the Barons up 10-4...7 runs scored in the inning with Allen up, Beckham had walked.

All runs scored with 2 outs.

Top of the 7th...Nix and Beckham are put on the bench for Hudson and Retherford.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 20, 2009 -> 09:17 PM)
The question is who does Nix replace? Lilli? Getz? Betemit? I think he will have to mash to be called up.

Lillibridge, Getz and Betemit are safe. None of them are going anywhere. The obvious choice is Jerry Owens with Brent becoming the backup CF and Ozzie being content with only 1 lefty off the bench.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Apr 20, 2009 -> 11:50 PM)
Nothing much to report, I was too busy laughing while my friend was heckling Jacksonville's first basemen Matt Craig. Jayson Nix looked sluggish playing shortstop.

Matt Craig's still playing? Wasn't he in the Cubs organization for years?

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 20, 2009 -> 10:51 PM)
Matt Craig's still playing? Wasn't he in the Cubs organization for years?

Yeah, and he doesn't have thick skin at all. He was rattled. He kept glaring at my friend and making gestures at him. I think he was implying that my friend had "big balls" to be messing with him. Because as we all know, Matt Craig is a bad MF. Or, he was calling my friend a "jerk off."

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Apr 20, 2009 -> 10:47 PM)
Nunez... The numbers may be good, but the process is ugly.

Elaborate.

The company line is that KW and Sox scouts really like him because he has alot of movement on his pitches.

That's also what Steve Stone said after watching him during spring training.

What are you seeing that we're not hearing?

QUOTE (scenario @ Apr 20, 2009 -> 09:26 PM)
Elaborate.

The company line is that KW and Sox scouts really like him because he has alot of movement on his pitches.

If by lots of movement, you mean he has zero secondary stuff and a straight fastball, than I'd agree. But that is in one minor league game that I saw this spring. I had heard scouts say some nice things about him, but nothing near as nice as i've heard them say about a lot of other guys in the system, including Nate Jones. And I definately didn't hear scouts talking up Marquez.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 20, 2009 -> 09:25 PM)
Lillibridge, Getz and Betemit are safe. None of them are going anywhere. The obvious choice is Jerry Owens with Brent becoming the backup CF and Ozzie being content with only 1 lefty off the bench.

How is Betemit at corner OF? I know Getz has played some LF. I just think that leaves the team thin on the OF.

Wow, nice outing by Garrett Johnson. 8 K's in 6 innings in that game, and in his two starts so far he has 2 BB against 11 K. I wonder if he did indeed put on some velocity like they wanted him to after the draft.

And I am still in awe of that B-Ham lineup. That is just some serious hitting talent in there.

QUOTE (scenario @ Apr 20, 2009 -> 11:26 PM)
Elaborate.

He pitches himself into jams, he goes into a lot of deep counts. He nibbles too much for a reliever. He doesn't attack hitters enough.

Great, sounds like MacDougal and Carrasco.

At least he hasn't "maxed" out his potential...I would rather see Egbert, Poreda or Nunez get a chance than watching the same old sorry storyline game after game.

I say this more about Mike and DJ, who has meant a lot to this team over the last year...kind of like a Ross Gload contributor who's underappreciated.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 21, 2009 -> 07:14 AM)
How is Betemit at corner OF? I know Getz has played some LF. I just think that leaves the team thin on the OF.

Betemit's only played out there twice, he isn't an option. If they ditch Owens then we have 3.5 CF (Alexei and Quentin has played the position, hell Jim Callis thinks we should start him there) on the roster and maybe 6 guys that can play the corners in a pinch (Dye, Quentin, Anderson, Lillibridge, Getz, Ramirez). I don't see it as a problem.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 21, 2009 -> 12:16 PM)
Great, sounds like MacDougal and Carrasco.

At least he hasn't "maxed" out his potential...I would rather see Egbert, Poreda or Nunez get a chance than watching the same old sorry storyline game after game.

I say this more about Mike and DJ, who has meant a lot to this team over the last year...kind of like a Ross Gload contributor who's underappreciated.

MacDougal and Carrasco are polar opposites as pitchers - how can anyone be like both of them?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 21, 2009 -> 01:40 PM)
Sucky underachievers?

Not so much. I'd even call Carrasco an overachiever - his "tools" are nothing special, but somehow he usually gets the job done.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 21, 2009 -> 01:43 PM)
Former Royals.

That is true.