Dine n' Ditch... I just did it?!?!

Steve9347

Dine n Ditch  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever dine n ditched!?!?!?!?!

• Yes
    • No
    • If I did I was too drunk.

Never a dine-and-ditch that a restaurant took it on the chin for, but a couple of years ago I caught up with some old students of mine in for a visit and totally absentmindedly and unintentionally stuck them with the tab for a few pints. I didn't get drunk or anything, but i was running late to meet the family somewhere and it completely slipped my mind to leave any money for the drinks I'd had on their tab. I didn't even think about it until the next day when I was at the hardware store and looked into my wallet to find the $20 bill that shouldn't have been there because I intended to pay my bill with it.

:lolhitting

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was 12 we dine n' ditched Happiness chinese food. I remember I felt so bad because that was like my favorite place to go eat with my friends with it being close to our house and now I couldnt go back there. You have very limited options when your 12, that was just f***ing stupid because we could have got money from our parents.

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Apr 21, 2009 -> 05:20 PM)
I wasn't aware of that. Makes no sense at all.

Oh yeah, my wife has come home crying a few times when this stuff happened to her. Basically as you are ordering food and drinks the waitresses are "paying" for the food and drinks in the computer. When you pay your bill, you are paying what they have fronted for you. When you dine and dash, that food comes out of their tips when they cash out at the end of the night and the drawers are counted out.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Apr 21, 2009 -> 05:39 PM)
Oh yeah, my wife has come home crying a few times when this stuff happened to her. Basically as you are ordering food and drinks the waitresses are "paying" for the food and drinks in the computer. When you pay your bill, you are paying what they have fronted for you. When you dine and dash, that food comes out of their tips when they cash out at the end of the night and the drawers are counted out.

Yup. And that error in your order or it taking a long time may have zero to do with the waitstaff and yet dumbass asshole people still dine and ditch and steal money out of people's pockets.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 09:39 AM)
What does being non-union have to do with it? Most industries don't require the sales/customer service reps to pay unpaid bills.

I think they do it to protect the establishments from having their waitstaff hooking their friends up with free food and then claiming it was a "dine and dash".

It sort of also puts more responsibility on the waitstaff in making sure all tabs are paid.

But I still think it's wrong.

Also, I would never dine and dash, but not leaving a tip is something I would consider if the waitress/waiter was awful and rude.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 21, 2009 -> 10:18 AM)
The wrong has been righted.

No wonder we thought it a passable idea at the time, seeing as we each drank the equivolent of 12 beers in the span of the Blackhawks game.

I'll never do that again.

Wait, you went back and paid the tab????

Couldn't they have had you arrested? I know I would have.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 23, 2009 -> 02:53 AM)
Wait, you went back and paid the tab????

Couldn't they have had you arrested? I know I would have.

Why would you call the cops on someone who came back to do the right thing? Id only call the cops if I saw someone dine and dash and than saw them eating at the restaurant again on a later date.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Apr 23, 2009 -> 02:27 AM)
Why would you call the cops on someone who came back to do the right thing? Id only call the cops if I saw someone dine and dash and than saw them eating at the restaurant again on a later date.

Prolly because its still wrong regardless..

What I am interested in is how Steve remembered how much it was. Unless they took the ticket with them. Or asked them if they remembered the Dine and Dash night and they said "yeah asshole, you owe us $54"

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 23, 2009 -> 03:50 AM)

What I am interested in is how Steve remembered how much it was. Unless they took the ticket with them. Or asked them if they remembered the Dine and Dash night and they said "yeah asshole, you owe us $54"

If your going to have the people who come back arrested, whats the incentive for anyone to actually come back?

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 23, 2009 -> 04:50 AM)

Restaurants keep receipts.

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 23, 2009 -> 03:50 AM)

Well, I just went up to the guy and said "my buddy told me he paid the tab last night, we were wasted, and this morning he said he didn't... was there an open tab?"

I don't know if they believed it or whatever, but by paying hte tab they didn't seem to care one way or the other.

Yeah, they keep receipts... the tab was $75. I paid it, added $20, all is well.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 23, 2009 -> 08:36 AM)
Well, I just went up to the guy and said "my buddy told me he paid the tab last night, we were wasted, and this morning he said he didn't... was there an open tab?"

I don't know if they believed it or whatever, but by paying hte tab they didn't seem to care one way or the other.

The "we were wasted" story is perfect. They really would not call the cops, they would have to explain why they "over served" their customer.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 23, 2009 -> 08:36 AM)

Honestly, good for you. The service industry is a very thankless industry for the most part, and people ditch out on tabs even with good service and quality of food. In this economy, many of those servers may have taken that job to supplement their families income, and some folks need to remember that that 20 dollar tab you skipped out on and thought it was hilarious could have been needed for some diapers for the children of a very hard working mother or father.