Mike MacDougal DFA'd

Dick Allen

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 21, 2009 -> 01:13 PM)
Heads must be thrilled.

Anyone have better confirmation than MLBTR yet that they can link here? Before I pin it?

Oh you know he has a boner. Lillibridge and Egbert on the same team now?! :o All he needs is Chris Burke and Heads might have a heart attack.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Apr 21, 2009 -> 02:29 PM)
Looks like Justin Cassel has been activated to take Egbert's place in Charlotte, I think that means MacDougal being sent back to Charlotte won't happen. They either trade or release him outright.

Unless Owens' slot is still open in Charlotte?

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Apr 21, 2009 -> 03:36 PM)
He had 100 chances....I never understood KW giving him an extension. :gosoxretro:

At the time, it didn't look like the worst deal in history...just should have been at least one year shorter.

Just imagine if KW signed Bradford, Baez and Walker for the pen instead of Dotel and Linebrink.

I went to the team site and reviewed the stats and I now see that McD gives up both a lot of hits and walks while DJ just gives up a lot of hits. I wish MacDougal the best wheter he goes to the Charlotte pen or is claimed by someone else. However, I bet there is someone out there ready to give him a chance to get his head on straight.

DJ's also pitched relatively well since that disastrous first outing against the Twins (4.1 scoreless innings with 6 base runners and 3 Ks), he should be a decent 7th man out of the pen (garbage time innings eater). Mike MacDougal on the other hand has thrown about 6 pitches over the plate this season, it's embarrassing having him out there.

MacDougal overthrows the slider and refuses to pitch in the zone with his fastball...he's just gunshy now about giving up hits for some reason. And you can't work "backwards" from the slider to the fastball if you can't get strikes consistently with either pitch.

Actually, he pitches like I would expect someone who'd been hit by a batted ball (and seriously injured) would pitch upon returning to the majors.

Bad move. MacDougal was a quality piece of the bullpen.

I also assumed you were joking.

MacDougal turned 32 in March. His Wikipedia entry had some interesting comments:

"A former star pitcher for Wake Forest University, MacDougal began his career as a starting pitcher, but suffered a fractured skull late in the 2001 season when he was struck in the head by a bat that had escaped from the hand of Carlos Beltrán. He lost feeling in his right arm and was unable to pitch for three months."

-- Man that was a tough break. The bat hit him in the head. Wow. I hadn't heard that story before, but I'm sure I'm just out of the loop.

"In 2003, the Kansas City Royals turned him into a closer. He recorded 24 saves by mid-season and made the American League All-Star team."

-- Probably the best year of his life. 2003.

"MacDougal struggled with flu-like symptoms in spring training in 2004, causing him to lose weight and, as a result, to lose velocity off his fastball, which had been clocked as high as 103 miles per hour. He lost his job as the Royals' closer to Jeremy Affeldt and spent much of the 2004 season in the minor leagues. However, early in 2005, he was reinstalled as the closer after Affeldt himself was injured."

-- Tough break for MacDougal getting the bad case of the bug, but Jeremy Affeltdt? Wow.

"MacDougal battled injuries again in 2006, starting the season on the DL and not returning to the field until mid July. After only about a week after his first appearance of the year, he was traded for minor-league pitchers Tyler Lumsden and Dan Cortes by the Chicago White Sox on July 24, 2006. [1]. The addition of MacDougal was to be a move to bolster the White Sox bullpen as they vied for playoff contention, and while the team ended up missing the playoffs, MacDougal was quite effective in his 25 appearances. Combining his appearances with both teams, he finished the year with a 1.55 ERA. MacDougal's 2006 performance earned him a new three-year deal with the White Sox."

-- That dreaded 3 year deal.

"His nickname is 'Mac the 9th."

-- If I was him, I'd ask to be a starter. What does he have to lose? Send him to Class A and try to reinvent his game.

Edited by greg775

Got rocked tonight by Huff...he'll need to have better location if he doesn't want to be back in Charlotte next week.

Throwing 87-91, you have to exhibit better command and movement than what he demonstrated tonight.

Prediction...nobody claims MacDougal, and he signs with the Twins and becomes a dominant RH set-up guy in 2009.

Edited by caulfield12

Egbert and Richard didn't look any better than McDougal did before. Richard seems to be good one game and bad the next. Besides the releif corp Jose can only last 4 or 5 innings before he blows. And may be more puzzling is why he is allowed to if the argument is made that he is building strength. What's up with that?

Edited by elrockinMT