4/21 Games (including Barons' notes)

caulfield12

Birmingham Barons (Chicago White Sox)

THE WEEK THAT WAS: The Barons were 6-3 after going 4-1 at home against Chattanooga and then splitting two games at Tennessee. The final game of the series with the Smokies was rained out.

WHO'S HOT, WHO'S NOT: RHP Derek Rodriguez had two wins and a save in his first four appearances, allowing one hit and no walks over 3 2/3 innings. ... OF Stefan Gartrell had three homers to tie for the league lead. ... LHP Aaron Poreda was 0-2 despite a 3.00 ERA. ... 3B Javier Colina was 2-for-18.

PLAYER TO WATCH: C Tyler Flowers, acquired by the White Sox from Atlanta in the Javier Vazquez trade, got off to a .290 start with two doubles, a triple, a homer and three RBIs. He had 12 strikeouts in 31 at-bats, but also had six walks. Flowers, 23, had 98 walks and 50 extra-base hits last year with Myrtle Beach.

PERFORMANCE OF WEEK: SS Gordon Beckham, the No. 8 overall selection in the 2008 First-Year Player Draft, started red-hot. He was 4-for-6 with the game-winning hit in the Barons' opener and finished 10-for-22 in the Chattanooga series. Beckham, 22, was hitting .368 with four doubles, two homers and seven RBIs overall. He did have three errors, though.

BOT 1st...Shelby piling up walks, gets another. Nix fouled out on a high pop-up to the LF. Beckham struck out on a curveball. Flowers hit on foot by a pitch and Allen hits a hard grounder to 2B Torres. No score, 0-0.

Omogrosso at 94 MPH...LHP West at 95. Three K's for Omo but not consecutively.

Beckham with error #4 (this one at 2B). Allen committed to the ball and Omo was too slow getting over to 1st...so Beckham ended up taking his eye off the ball and it ended up with the runner at second. Omo with the "mental error" of not covering 1B...so not 100% Beckham's fault, but he did take his eye of the ball...wouldn't have had a play at first.

Viciedo now in the midst of a 1 for 14 slump since getting up over .300. Missed a high FB.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (daa84 @ Apr 21, 2009 -> 07:07 PM)
infante finally gave up a run.... 5 IP 4 H 3BB and 4 Ks so far

Looked like he wasn't the prospect we thought he was....

In all seriousness though, you gotta like the starting pitching talent we got down in Kanny. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I firmly believe that Hudson is the best starting pitching prospect we have.

Gordon Beckham's error wasn't really his fault, Allen's fault, or Omogrosso's fault. The ball was hit between first and second, plus the broken bat was going that way too, Beckham and Allen both went for the ball, then both backed off and the ball kicked off Beckham's foot. Omogrosso didn't cover because he didn't have to, it was hit hard enough for Allen to get it and tag first. Tyler Flowers' (or T. FLO as he's been dubbed at the park) homerun was a bomb that cleared the back wall in left center, about 420 feet. It was on a very, very compact swing, the ball jumped off his bat, all his strength and power. And, on a side note, all minor leaguers are supposed to wear a double ear flap batting helmet, but Jayson Nix has been wearing a single ear flap helmet.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Apr 21, 2009 -> 07:01 PM)
Looked like he wasn't the prospect we thought he was....

In all seriousness though, you gotta like the starting pitching talent we got down in Kanny. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I firmly believe that Hudson is the best starting pitching prospect we have.

I wouldn't disagree with that. I don't think Omogrosso is a starter long-term, nor is Poreda and I freaking love Hudson. I do think Omo and Poreda are both going to be very good relievers. I also think Link and Matt Long have a chance and I'm very curious as to what this Infante guy has and whether Garret Johsnon has increased his velocity.