Dayan Viciedo

flavum

Why would he stay at extended spring training?

The only argument is whether he should have started at Winston-Salem or BIRM. We only have this kid for four years...we don't have 2-3 years to "baby" him along...at worst, we would hope to have him ready for the 2011 season, but some were thinking he might make an impact this season, which STILL might happen.

West was a lefty throwing 95 MPH tonight...Beckham struck out 3 out of 4 times as well. It happens.

I'm just thinking out loud. I really don't know much about the guy's makeup, which is my main concern. I'm just thinking keeping him at extended ST would have given them time to evaluate him more, try him out in the outfield, work on his plate discipline, and then send him to a short-season in Bristol. I just have a bad feeling that AA is too much for this guy right now. And I'll admit, I could be completely off track here.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 21, 2009 -> 08:05 PM)
The only argument is whether he should have started at Winston-Salem or BIRM. We only have this kid for four years...we don't have 2-3 years to "baby" him along...at worst, we would hope to have him ready for the 2011 season, but some were thinking he might make an impact this season, which STILL might happen.

Giving a contract structured like that to a 19 year old could really come back to bite us in the ass.

He's not striking out at a HUGE rate right now...that would be one danger sign. He's never going to walk a lot...at least not until he's older.

I just think he needs to play, and the future of Josh Fields is far from certain, too. So I don't think we can afford to move him to the OF yet. They should give him one full minor league season at 3B before they do anything that dramatic.

Beckham has 4 errors already...but they're not thinking to move him to CF.

He just looks antsy at the plate, swinging out of his shoes, but not over matched. He has hit the ball hard and he is hitting it to the gaps well. He actually hasn't pulled the ball much at all. He's not seeing a lot of fastballs, they're trying to avoid grooving him one, but he's swinging at high stuff a lot. I haven't seen anything to get concerned about, he's barely 20 and he's only played 11 pro games. Like I said, he's just antsy at the plate. Everybody looked bad tonight, Sean West pitched a gem and only made one mistake to Flowers. Bare in mind, Brandon Allen hasn't hit a homerun yet.

If you've seen his swing, you'd know that he's capable of hitting AA. I expect him to improve as the season goes and as he gets more comfortable. He might be a year or two away but I wouldn't be shocked to see him knocking at the door by seasons end and getting a job to start next season.

He's a 19 year old who just got here from Cuba. Give the kid a break. Like the last poster said, Alexei was awful last year to start but he gradually got used to everything here in the US, and if it weren't for Longoria, he was the AL ROY last year.

Give Viciedo some time. At the worst, he won't play up here next year either. But where would he play? Fields is exceeding my expectations so far.

Anyways, I am for sure in the "its too early to panic" phase.

Imagine being free after 19 years of oppression and being told what to do and thing. Add to that wealth beyond your wildest dreams and, oh yeah, a whole new language and culture to learn, not to mention none of your friends around, and the pressure of preforming on a big public stage. Then top that off with being 20 years old and not fully mature.

The reality is, statistically, this whole year could be lost, and I wouldn't be surprised. Even if we end up getting nothing out of him until next year, if he comes close to his potential, the kid is a steal.