Contreras

pale_hose

I cant stand watching Contreras attempt to pitch any longer. This guy hasn't been good since the first half of 2006 or whenever it was. His splitter is either in the dirt or in the bleachers, he leaves his fast ball up...I cant stand it! Can we get him out and bring up some young talent that will be at least fun to watch? I dont care who it is, I just dont want to watch Contreras get rocked any longer...Poreda, Marquez, anyone can do what Contreras is doing right now...get them the big league experience...

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From his start on June 7, 2005, through his start on Jul 30, 2005, period of 9 games, Jose put up an ERA over 6. From May 10th to July 30th, he put up an ERA of 5.3, covering nearly 3 months of the season.

He could be done. I'm not so sure we stop running him out there just yet though. His biggest problem is always throwing strikes. He walked 5 today. He can't do that. If he walks 1 or 2, and is pitching ahead of people, then he still can get outs with how much his stuff moves.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 21, 2009 -> 08:51 PM)
He did pitch 2 games out of the bullpen in 2007. I hope you're right though, and they're not afraid to make the move if necessary.

If he keeps pitching as poorly as he did today, then maybe you click down 2-3 more starts and then you give someone like Richard or someone from AAA a spot start or two. The guy is just coming back from a nearly catastrophic injury, he hadn't pitched in a long time as of the start of ST, and he has an awful lot of stuff that needs to go right for him to control things effectively.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Apr 21, 2009 -> 10:53 PM)
Please...at least the guy gives you a solid chance everytime he takes the mound. And I applaud his cajones for get back and ready as fast as he did.

Six runs and six walks in 5.1 innings is not a solid chance to win.

Personally, I feel like we've got a good chance to lose every time Contreras is on the mound. It could just be me because I'm not stuck in the glory days of 2005, but either way I don't see how he's guaranteeing the team a solid chance to win.

QUOTE (Felix @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 03:56 AM)
Personally, I feel like we've got a good chance to lose every time Contreras is on the mound. It could just be me because I'm not stuck in the glory days of 2005, but either way I don't see how he's guaranteeing the team a solid chance to win.

And you should see the teams he has to face in his next 5 outings.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Apr 21, 2009 -> 10:53 PM)
Please...at least the guy gives you a solid chance everytime he takes the mound. And I applaud his cajones for get back and ready as fast as he did.

Except in three starts he's given us absolutely no chance to win. And the "Oh, man. Jose is such a godly warrior because he came back way earlier than expected" honeymoon is over now. He needs to step up.

QUOTE (Felix @ Apr 21, 2009 -> 10:56 PM)

It's basically 50/50 as far as I'm concerned (although he had a ridiculously good May last year). You simply never really know what Jose you're gonna get.

I think he is a feel pitcher and it may take a while. I only saw the 4th through 7th innings today and he did not look good. All four broadcasters said otherwise and that once he gets his control he will be fine...........

I thought Guillen should have pulled him after five and let Richard go as the O's had what seemed like 7 lefties.

Richard did not look any better and he has not shown that he deserves a shot.

I fear the options are very limited.

Edited by Jenks Heat

OK...you're all right. Let's trot Marquez out there. All I'm saying is before you run Jose off...how bout you give him til May?!? Or is that too much to ask from this group?...nevermind.

Edited by Wanne

QUOTE (Wanne @ Apr 21, 2009 -> 11:16 PM)
OK...you're all right. Let's trot Marquez out there. All I'm saying is before you run Jose off...how bout you give him til May?!? Or is that too much to ask from this group?...nevermind.

Not saying you should boot him from the rotation. But he should definitely be put on notice. You see what the Yanks are doing with Wang (not that Jose has been anywhere near as bad).

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 21, 2009 -> 08:58 PM)
And you should see the teams he has to face in his next 5 outings.

I give him credit, but he has had very little of anything since his major run. He had some quality starts early last year but even than I wasn't confident in him. HE just has so many issues with command, holding runners, etc, that it means he has to truly dominate to not give up a ton of runs.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 05:39 AM)
I give him credit, but he has had very little of anything since his major run. He had some quality starts early last year but even than I wasn't confident in him. HE just has so many issues with command, holding runners, etc, that it means he has to truly dominate to not give up a ton of runs.

That's a great point, especially with his strikeout numbers plummeting.