Contreras

pale_hose

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 03:32 PM)
If you get behind in the count with an "average" major league fastball and you leave it out over the plate, which he did consistently last night, you'll get killed. And he did, especially by Markakis, Huff and Scott. He also hung a couple of non-moving forkballs.

As Cubano mentioned, sometimes he's very tentative about pitching inside, almost like he's afraid to hit someone. The other problem is that he wasn't showing a variety of pitches from the "drop down" mode and he was throwing inside backing-up fastballs to RH batters that were getting walloped all over the park.

If he can throw the fastball, a cutter/fast slider and the forkball, he'll be fine. If not, he probably will end up in the bullpen with another 2-3 starts like the 3 he's had so far in 2009.

I have read that an average MLB fastball is 88-89 MPH. I also read is 91 MPH. Does anybody have a good article about this?

As for pitching inside, in the WBC I saw Chapman throw a pitch to the head of Japan third hitter Aoki (I believe). He did not try it to go that far because in Cuba they do not teach to harm anybody and you do not see fights between teams or retaliation. The very next pitch, Chapman threw a fastball in the middle of the plate that Aoki swung like a girl.

Strikeout!

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 07:55 PM)
He was facing a line-up without Jones and Mora, on the other hand. Still, they're a pretty strong left-hand dominated line-up, not a good match-up for Contreras.

I agree 100 %. Some teams are a bad match up for you.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 08:54 PM)
I'd like to see Contreras get those starts down in triple-a. He obviously needs more time to work out his kinks....

I'd like to see one of these guys up here getting some MLB experience:

Charlotte (AAA)

John Van Benchoten (1-1, 2.65 ERA, 17 IP, 13 SO)

Wes Whisler (1-1, 2.20 ERA, 16.1 IP, 7 SO)

Birmingham (AA)

Kyle McCulloch (2-1, 2.37 ERA, 19 IP, 9 SO)

Aaron Poreda (0-2, 3.00 ERA, 9 IP, 6 SO)

3 of 4 of those guys are pure GARBAGE. The only one worth anything is Poreda.