Former Sox prospects watch

caulfield12

D. Cortes (AA)

0-2, 7.71 ERA

11 2/3 IP, 18 H, 5 BB, 13 K's

F. De Los Santos (California League, High A)

2-2, 5.87 ERA

23 IP, 29 H, 11 BB/26 K's

Aaron Cunningham (AAA-Sacramento)

4/12, 3 2B, .333

C. Carter

.300, 1 HR, 16 RBI's (50 AB's)

Gio Gonzalez has started two games but only has 7 IP.

That ain't Fautino De Los Santos. It's probably Frank De Los Santos. Fautino is still recovering from TJ surgery. And even if Fautino is back, no team would have had him throw over 20 innings already.

Edited by BearSox

• 2 weeks later...

Sergio Miranda, playing for High A Brevard County (MIL)... .789 OPS, .393 OBP, more than a third of his hits are doubles, and he has more than twice as many walks as strikeouts (2nd best BB/K ratio in his league, behind Chris Cates). His K rate is one for every 16 at bats - doesn't get much lower than that. He's also made only one error, but, he's only played 15 games (most starters have played 25 or so), as he had a late start from extended ST (he's been playing full time since). He's been playing all over the field too, defensively, SS/2B at first, but lately he's mostly been at first base (weird).

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 7, 2009 -> 11:33 AM)
Sergio Miranda, playing for High A Brevard County (MIL)... .789 OPS, .393 OBP, more than a third of his hits are doubles, and he has more than twice as many walks as strikeouts (2nd best BB/K ratio in his league, behind Chris Cates). His K rate is one for every 16 at bats - doesn't get much lower than that. He's also made only one error, but, he's only played 15 games (most starters have played 25 or so), as he had a late start from extended ST (he's been playing full time since). He's been playing all over the field too, defensively, SS/2B at first, but lately he's mostly been at first base (weird).

Don't you have to be at least 5'10" to play first base?

QUOTE (JPN366 @ May 7, 2009 -> 11:45 AM)
Don't you have to be at least 5'10" to play first base?

LOL, yeah, seems awfully strange to put a 5'9", 180 pound guy who has played most of his career at SS or 2B, over at first.

Meanwhile, their starting SS is Brent Brewer (LOL, Brewer the Brewer), who is 6'2" and 198 pounds, and has 9 errors at SS in 25 games.

Looks to me like they have people in the wrong positions.

Are we going to get anybody from the Brewers for him or did we just give him up for a favor from Milwakee down the road? You'd think that we could get something for a guy that was a 13th round pick just a year prior. Not like he was/is a bum or something. He's got some legit tools, could possibly turn into a utility guy down the road.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ May 8, 2009 -> 03:13 AM)
Are we going to get anybody from the Brewers for him or did we just give him up for a favor from Milwakee down the road? You'd think that we could get something for a guy that was a 13th round pick just a year prior. Not like he was/is a bum or something. He's got some legit tools, could possibly turn into a utility guy down the road.

He was traded for "future considerations". Lame. I've followed this guys since the draft, and I really feel like he's got some value, probably as a future utility player, but maybe more. It was flabbergasted that we traded him for basically nothing. My only theory is that the Sox middle infield in the mid-minors was just so damn crowded, that when MIL called looking for one, they said OK, to make room for guys like Beckham and Escobar.

Apparently, we should have just moved him to first base. :lolhitting

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 8, 2009 -> 06:35 AM)
He was traded for "future considerations". Lame. I've followed this guys since the draft, and I really feel like he's got some value, probably as a future utility player, but maybe more. It was flabbergasted that we traded him for basically nothing. My only theory is that the Sox middle infield in the mid-minors was just so damn crowded, that when MIL called looking for one, they said OK, to make room for guys like Beckham and Escobar.

Apparently, we should have just moved him to first base. :lolhitting

It was a numbers game and the organization made a move that benefited Miranda. He had no chance getting at bats in our system. Not a knock on him, more a compliment to the middle infielders already in our system.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 7, 2009 -> 03:37 PM)
LOL, yeah, seems awfully strange to put a 5'9", 180 pound guy who has played most of his career at SS or 2B, over at first.

Meanwhile, their starting SS is Brent Brewer (LOL, Brewer the Brewer), who is 6'2" and 198 pounds, and has 9 errors at SS in 25 games.

Looks to me like they have people in the wrong positions.

Brevard County's batting coach is named Corey Hart.