Colon, Contreras

Jimbo's Drinker

Seriously now, though...last I checked, Contreras is still coming off a major injury. Now I know it sucks that he's getting his pitching feet we during the season, but who's to say he won't pick it up after gaining some confidence? Gotta throw him out there a couple more times. And Colon...as has been said before, he's had 2 good starts and 1 bad one. Not bad for a 5th starter.

As it stands right now...Contreras would be the first to go...but give him some time to get his timing back. The Sox are tied for first. Relax...take a deep breath...chill out. Things will work themselves out.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Apr 24, 2009 -> 08:49 AM)
Seriously now, though...last I checked, Contreras is still coming off a major injury. Now I know it sucks that he's getting his pitching feet we during the season, but who's to say he won't pick it up after gaining some confidence? Gotta throw him out there a couple more times. And Colon...as has been said before, he's had 2 good starts and 1 bad one. Not bad for a 5th starter.

Stop it now. You're making WAY too much sense here.

As it stands right now...Contreras would be the first to go...but give him some time to get his timing back.

As in he would be the first one released between the two? I'm not sure about that. Jose's recent track record has been better than Colon's.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 24, 2009 -> 10:36 AM)
He hasn't really been much better this year so far...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/...o01.shtml?redir

Perhaps I should have phrased it better, but I'm alluding to having someone like Garland back there. Someone whose performance would later command a decent salary.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 24, 2009 -> 10:54 AM)
As in he would be the first one released between the two? I'm not sure about that. Jose's recent track record has been better than Colon's.

Not released, but replaced in the rotation. I could see a scenario where Jose is placed on the 15-day DL to "recover." If you know what I mean.

Edited by CanOfCorn

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Apr 24, 2009 -> 11:21 AM)
Colon has had 1 good start, 1 so-so start and 1 crappy start. Saying he's had two good starts is just wrong. That said, he should be given some more time to work it into shape.

I agree, but have to point out that this is about as in shape as Colon will ever be.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Apr 24, 2009 -> 09:08 AM)
Not released, but replaced in the rotation. I could see a scenario where Jose is placed on the 15-day DL to "recover." If you know what I mean.

Yeah, I agree. In fact, they should've went ahead and done this at the beginning of the month.

I'm not so worried about Colon as The Count, if only because it's been soooo long since he's pitched consistently well.

That said, we're only a couple of weeks in, so it's a bit early to push the panic button. Of more concern is the inability to eat up innings, which will tax our bullpen.

The optimist in me says: hey, Contreras was pretty bad first half '05 and then became unhittable. I'm holding off. Not for long, but for now.

Colon and Contreras need to build up arm strength and be consistent with their pitches especially Jose and his forkball. I am thinking they will be better as the season goes on and in the meantime all we have to do is stay close util we gewt the consistent good games from those two.