4/23 Games

danman31

Viciedo found his gold glove tonight, snagging some screamers to contribute to Poreda's gem. He ranged deep to his right and into foul ground to snag one and throw the runner out. Poreda was great, but he clearly was out of gas in the 7th. His fastball was topping out at 90, so he ended up having a rough inning. But, through the first 6 innings, he only threw 85 pitches and no more than 15 in any inning. No walks until the 7th, only two 3 ball counts and only six 2 ball counts. He was visibly pumped when he struck out his 11th batter to end the 7th with the bases loaded. Beckham's error wasn't really an error. He ranged deep to his left and spun around to throw, but didn't get enough on the throw.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Apr 23, 2009 -> 10:56 PM)
And Jacksonville is the best offensive team in the Southern League

By record I'd say it's Mobile, but already taking 3 of 4 from Jacksonville is huge. Hopefully Harrell can pitch well enough tomorrow night to help the Barons take 4 of 5.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Apr 23, 2009 -> 10:59 PM)
Viciedo found his gold glove tonight, snagging some screamers to contribute to Poreda's gem. He ranged deep to his right and into foul ground to snag one and throw the runner out. Poreda was great, but he clearly was out of gas in the 7th. His fastball was topping out at 90, so he ended up having a rough inning. But, through the first 6 innings, he only threw 85 pitches and no more than 15 in any inning. No walks until the 7th, only two 3 ball counts and only six 2 ball counts. He was visibly pumped when he struck out his 11th batter to end the 7th with the bases loaded. Beckham's error wasn't really an error. He ranged deep to his left and spun around to throw, but didn't get enough on the throw.

Seems like a strange error to give playing at home....? Did the throw pull Allen off the bag? I've never seen an error called on a player in that situation unless he clearly mishandled or bobbled the ball first. Especially if he had to do any kind of spin move, just doesn't sound like an error that would be called in your home park when you're that organization's top prospect.

Character building for Beckham, I guess.

It would be great if Poreda could develop a curveball. His slider in ST wasn't very consistent or effective. If Poreda can throw mid 90's and then get over a hook with a 20+ MPH differential without varying his delivery at all, it would be a big breakthrough for him and the organization.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 23, 2009 -> 11:49 PM)
Seems like a strange error to give playing at home....? Did the throw pull Allen off the bag? I've never seen an error called on a player in that situation unless he clearly mishandled or bobbled the ball first. Especially if he had to do any kind of spin move, just doesn't sound like an error that would be called in your home park when you're that organization's top prospect.

Character building for Beckham, I guess.

It would be great if Poreda could develop a curveball. His slider in ST wasn't very consistent or effective. If Poreda can throw mid 90's and then get over a hook with a 20+ MPH differential without varying his delivery at all, it would be a big breakthrough for him and the organization.

Brandon Allen couldn't scoop it up.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 24, 2009 -> 10:01 AM)
What was the breaking s*** he was throwing?

From my point of view, it could have been a slider or a curve or a slurve. It was registered at 75 MPH and it looked kinda 12 to 6, but not exactly.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 24, 2009 -> 02:46 PM)
When I watched him in ST, Poreda was throwing the slider 82-85, FWIW.

Maybe it was a variation of that, I don't know. I can only see up and down, not side to side as I sit halfway up the first base line behind the dugout.