Egbert optioned to AAA Charlotte

T R U

Well, who at Charlotte has really earned the opportunity?

Anyone?

If you look ONLY at the stats, you'd have to give it to Torres, Link or JVB.

Broadway has gotten his strikeout numbers and his walks are pretty decent...I guess they believe he's pitching much better than his ERA.

Link is not a multiple innings pitcher, so it would have to be JVB or Torres (right now) if they didn't give the opportunity to Broadway.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 25, 2009 -> 02:00 PM)
Well, who at Charlotte has really earned the opportunity?

Anyone?

They really have some crap down there, but maybe Link or Russell, although they may want a guy who can go longer. As much as JVB sucks, he'll be just as effective as Broadway and at least he did something in Charlotte that could warrant a call-up. The bottom line is if Lance Broadway was exactly the same pitcher but the White Sox selected him in any round other than round 1, he wouldn't get the call up today. He probably wouldn't be in the organization anymore.

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Apr 25, 2009 -> 02:06 PM)
This is gonna be bad.

His role will be garbage time unless there's an extra long game or something like that. You just have to hope Ozzie doesn't get carried away and uses him when a game is on the line when he doesn't have to.

Broadway pitched well two starts ago (6 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 5 K's), but his last start, he was Contreras-esque:

5 IP, 7 H, 5 ER, 1 BB, 6 K's.

Not exactly grounds for a promotion...you'd like to have seen him put together two solid starts in a row, at least. The only thing you can possibly say about Broadway is that he's kept his walk totals low and increased his K's, but that's hardly a rousing recommendation.

You just can imagine one of those summers when they use about 5-7 different "scrub" pitchers in that role until they find one who gets "hot" like Wasserman did in 2007.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 25, 2009 -> 02:23 PM)
Broadway pitched well two starts ago (6 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 5 K's), but his last start, he was Contreras-esque:

5 IP, 7 H, 5 ER, 1 BB, 6 K's.

Not exactly grounds for a promotion...you'd like to have seen him put together two solid starts in a row, at least. The only thing you can possibly say about Broadway is that he's kept his walk totals low and increased his K's, but that's hardly a rousing recommendation.

You just can imagine one of those summers when they use about 5-7 different "scrub" pitchers in that role until they find one who gets "hot" like Wasserman did in 2007.

AAA is pretty bad right now. Broadway should improve on AAA numbers considering he's been there 2 full years. Its a good thing they infused some talent into the system because its just garbage what they are bringing up now. I shouldn't get too pissed, ihe's the last guy on the team Ozzie will want to use at least theoretically.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 25, 2009 -> 08:08 PM)
His role will be garbage time unless there's an extra long game or something like that. You just have to hope Ozzie doesn't get carried away and uses him when a game is on the line when he doesn't have to.

But, he will

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 25, 2009 -> 02:08 PM)

If our starters (specifically Floyd and Contreras) have trouble pitching into the 5th we will be seeing Broadway.

Apparently, even Broadway knows he sucks. From the Tribune:

Numbers game: Broadway, the Sox's top draft choice in 2005, was 0-2 with a 5.63 ERA at Charlotte. He has been with the Sox for brief parts of the last two seasons, going 1-2 with a 4.44 ERA in 11 games (two starts).

"I can say it, in my opinion, because I know when I throw good and I throw bad: I've been throwing the ball pretty well," Broadway said.