4/25 Games

flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 25, 2009 -> 12:51 PM)
Derek Rodriguez has been added to the Charlotte roster.

6:00 Charlotte @ Gwinnett- Wes Whisler

7:05 Birmingham @ Mobile- John Ely

6:00 Wilmington @ Winston-Salem- Matt Long

6:00 Kannapolis @ Hickory- Garrett Johnson

They've been wrong about the starter for Charlotte for a week now since they got rained out the other day. It's JVB tonight. Clevelan Santeliz was activated to the Barons roster to take D-Rod's place. Keith Ginter was placed on Charlotte's DL.

Edited by JPN366

Winston-Salem put up a 7-spot in the bottom half of the 1st.

Winston-Salem Bottom 1st

* Jordan Danks walks.

* Greg Paiml singles on a ground ball to third baseman Mike Moustakas. Jordan Danks to 2nd.

* Jim Gallagher strikes out swinging.

* Salvador Sanchez singles on a line drive to center fielder Derrick Robinson. Jordan Danks scores. Greg Paiml to 2nd.

* Brent Morel walks. Greg Paiml to 3rd. Salvador Sanchez to 2nd.

* Christian Marrero singles on a ground ball to right fielder David Lough. Greg Paiml scores. Salvador Sanchez scores. Brent Morel to 3rd. Christian Marrero to 2nd on the throw.

* Seth Loman grounds out, second baseman Anthony Seratelli to first baseman Clint Robinson. Brent Morel scores. Christian Marrero to 3rd.

* Logan Johnson singles on a ground ball to center fielder Derrick Robinson. Christian Marrero scores.

* Dale Mollenhauer walks. Logan Johnson to 2nd.

* Jordan Danks walks. Logan Johnson to 3rd. Dale Mollenhauer to 2nd.

* Greg Paiml doubles (4) on a ground ball to left fielder Paulo Orlando. Logan Johnson scores. Dale Mollenhauer scores. Jordan Danks to 3rd.

* Pitcher Change: Chris Chavez replaces Jason Godin.

* Jim Gallagher grounds out, second baseman Anthony Seratelli to first baseman Clint Robinson.

Quality Start for John Ely for B'ham. 6 inn, 6 hits, 2 runs, 3 BB, 6 K

Podsednik is 3-4, HBP, picked off for Charlotte. Boone Logan hit him.

Nix didn't play.

Beckham 2-3, 2 doubles, walk (.317)

Flowers 2-4, HR, 2 RBIs (.333)

Allen 1-4 (.323)

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 25, 2009 -> 06:17 PM)
Jordan Danks, 3-3, 2 doubles, 2 walks, sb

Dayan Viciedo is 0-3, GDP. Now at .185. Let me know when I should start worrying this guy isn't ready for AA ball.

They'll give him at least 2 more weeks. If he's still struggling, they will try him at Winston-Salem for awhile.

Beckham just committed another error (6th) that led to the tying run crossing the plate, the go-ahead run is on second. Lujan on. There were two outs when Gordon made the mistake, and then a stolen base against Flowers and two singles in a row, with the runners advancing on some pretty bad throws from the outfield (error on Gartrell). Battle of the two best teams in the Southern League tonight...2nd unearned run just scored, Mobile up 4-3 and leading for first time tonight. Ely now with a no decision. Lujan on the wrong side of the decision at this point.

20 errors lead the Southern League....team also has the lowest fielding percentage as well.

Barons have two chance to come back against the BayBears.

Viciedo pops up. 0 for his last 18. 4 LOB and GIDP.

Retherford, Shelby and Beckham will bat in the top of the 9th...hopefully they'll only be down by one.

Barons go down 1-2-3 in the top of the 9th.

Edited by caulfield12

Was at the Barons' game tonight. Beckham's 2nd double really should've been an error. It was a dropped fly ball. Flowers's home run was to pretty much straight center field, over a very high wall. Mobile's pitchers were distracted by runners all night, even though the Baron's didn't try anything. Ely has good instincts when it comes to runners, got a pickoff and Flowers nailed a runner trying to steal. Viciedo was visibly upset with his performance, as he smashed his helmet to the ground after his last out. Beckham's error was the classic trying to throw before you have the ball.

CJ Retherford has a very unfortunate face.

Danks is starting to really dominate. He isn't striking out nearly as much as he did in the first week and a half, and his walks are starting to increase. Also, he is on pace for like 30 SBs with some good extra-base hits numbers. I don't know about his D in Winston-Salem, but if it's like Texas, it should be very good.

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Apr 25, 2009 -> 09:56 PM)
CJ Retherford has a very unfortunate face.

And a club foot from what I've read. Did you notice he wobbled a little bit when he walked? Isn't Tyler Flowers power scary? Was Dayan Viciedo still not being patient?

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 09:35 AM)
And a club foot from what I've read. Did you notice he wobbled a little bit when he walked? Isn't Tyler Flowers power scary? Was Dayan Viciedo still not being patient?

Chris Ronge did a really nice interview with Flowers right after he was acquired. He asked Tyler which one player he was most often compared to by scouts, etc. The answer... Mark McGuire.

And regarding Retherford... unfortunate looking? Club foot? What is this... a beauty pageant? He's batting .300, which makes him the top hitter on the team not named Beckham, Flowers, or Allen. Looks like a ballplayer to me.

QUOTE (scenario @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 10:31 AM)
Chris Ronge did a really nice interview with Flowers right after he was acquired. He asked Tyler which one player he was most often compared to by scouts, etc. The answer... Mark McGuire.

And regarding Retherford... unfortunate looking? Club foot? What is this... a beauty pageant? He's batting .300, which makes him the top hitter on the team not named Beckham, Flowers, or Allen. Looks like a ballplayer to me.

I don't care what he looks like, he can rake, so that's all that matters to me. I mentioned the club foot thing because I know he had to overcome that to be successful. He mentioned it in an interview he did for the W-S newsletter last year.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 05:10 PM)
Lets get one thing straight... the dude is pretty ugly.

But he's a good ball player, and that's all that matters... but seriously, that face is not easy on the eyes.

Not every ballplayer can be as heaven sent as Ryan Sweeney. :D

QUOTE (scenario @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 09:31 AM)

That always makes me cringe, because Borchard's power was described the same way.

As far as power goes, Harrelson is already arguing that Tyler is more powerful than anyone in the major leagues today, or at least AS/EQUALLY powerful.

If everyone remembers Ron Karkovice, I don't think Retherford will touch him on that scale...or Willie McGee.

Maybe we should name Miss California USA our new Asst. Director of Community Relations and Gay Marriage Compliance?? Would that help balance things out? Of course, we'd have to compete with Fox News for her.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (BearSox @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 03:10 PM)
Lets get one thing straight... the dude is pretty ugly.

435833.jpg

But he's a good ball player, and that's all that matters... but seriously, that face is not easy on the eyes.

If he makes it to the majors, there are about 10 million girls who could care less what he looks like.

It's not like he's Lyle Lovett or Ric Ocasek strange/weird.

I managed to get an autograph from Flowers after the game. He is much much bigger in person than you'd expect. Viciedo was early on most of his swings, but still showed some decent pop when he made contact. CJ had more a stiff uneven walk than a wobble.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 27, 2009 -> 02:54 PM)
Still bothers me hearing things like that given his past.

If it makes you feel better, he is more of the proportional lumberjack mold than the uneven giant arm McGuire mold. He doesn't look freaky huge.

Edited by chunk23