4/26 Games

scenario

Right now, Christian Marrero is THE hottest hitter in the WhiteSox organization.

2-3 today so far with a homerun...

Currently batting .397 (27 for 68) on the season.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 01:42 PM)
Right now, Christian Marrero is THE hottest hitter in the WhiteSox organization.

2-3 today so far with a homerun...

Currently batting .397 (27 for 68) on the season.

Marrero also threw a runner out at home from RF today.

Might be time to consider this guy a legit prospect. He's the same age as Beckham and Danks, and he's put up solid numbers since being signed in 2006.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 02:43 PM)
Marrero also threw a runner out at home from RF today.

Might be time to consider this guy a legit prospect. He's the same age as Beckham and Danks, and he's put up solid numbers since being signed in 2006. I'm surprised he wasn't even drafted back then. He's from Miami.

I believe that he was drafted by us as a draft-and-follow player (whatever the hell that means) the previous season. FYI, he is the brother of Nationals 1B Eli Marrero

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 04:59 PM)
I believe that he was drafted by us as a draft-and-follow player (whatever the hell that means) the previous season. FYI, he is the brother of Nationals 1B Eli Marrero

I just edited it when I realized he was a draft and follow. He was the 22nd rounder in 2005.

Hope he continues to progress. The more pieces the Sox have, the better.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 04:59 PM)

Eli is actually his uncle, but his brother is top prospect Christopher Marrero, who is also a 1B in the Nationals system.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 07:04 PM)
Eli Marrero is Cuban (I think)...does that make both the OTHER Marreros American-born/Cuban descent?

Yes.

Christian Marrero's parents are Cuban immigrants who now own a business in Miami.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 07:04 PM)
Eli Marrero is Cuban (I think)...does that make both the OTHER Marreros American-born/Cuban descent?

Eli Marrero was born in Havana, but he is an american baseball product. Christopher Marrero is from cuban descent as weel as the following players:

MLB

Robert Andino

Bronson Arroyo

Vinnie Chulk

Ryan Freel

Raul Ibañez

Mike Lowell

Fernando Perez

Jorge Posada (grandson of former major leaguer Leo Posada)

AAA

Jonathan Arencibia

Gio Gonzalez

Gaby Hernandez

Jon Jay

Kenny Perez

Sean Rodriguez

Gaby Sanchez

AA

Alex Avila

Adrian Cardenas

Reidier Gonzalez

Javi Herrera

Ricky Orta

Daniel Otero

Camilo Vazquez

A

Yonder Alonso

Christopher Marrero

Matt Dominguez (Gus Dominguez' nephew) Gus was a baseball agent and is in jail now fro bring cuban players.

Edited by Cubano

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 10:59 PM)

The draft and follow rule isn't in place any more but it used to be that you could draft a player who would be attending junior college but you didn't have to sign him until a week before the next years draft, essentially allowing you to 'follow' the player for a year before having to decide if you wanted to sign him or not. I believe we gave Marrero a $120k bonus but I can remember where I read it.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 27, 2009 -> 06:40 AM)
Couple intersting tidbits:

1) The losing pitcher for Hickory's last name is Hamburger

2) Jared Price stole home for Birmingham

The pitcher was distracted by John Shelby trying to steal second. Jared's a big, burly catcher with big, burly catcher speed.