Ozzie's vendetta continues....

santo=dorf

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=cws

But White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen delivered some words of encouragement for Wise prior to Sunday's contest. Guillen stated that the starting job will not automatically stay with Brian Anderson when Wise returns, regardless of how Anderson is playing.

"We will reevaluate it," Guillen said. "It's not fair for the kid to work hard, play good and then he got hurt."

When did Wise play "good" this year?

Call me a bad Sox fan, but I hope Wise never returns to our team. It's bad baseball to put him in CF and in the lineup.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Anderson is playing like he is now if and when Wise comes back (obviously he won't be hitting .350, but getting good at-bats and putting up respectable offensive numbers), there is no reason at all whatsoever to even consider considering putting Wise back in the lineup. None.

And yeah, Wise did not play good this year, or in spring training. He had a couple of good games to bring his average up to .238, and made one really nice catch that he unfortunately got hurt making.

Edited by lostfan

This is just an approach to make sure Anderson doesn't get too comfortable in the CF spot. I'm sure if he's playing the way he is now, he'll continue to get the majority of the starts. If Anderson's hitting .300 and Wise returns and gets the majority of playing time....well, we know what needs to happen.

theres nothing wrong here what ozzie said there. Hopefully it pushes Anderson to continue hitting. But, don't start getting idea that all off sudden Anderson/Wise/Owens are set in stone even be there by next yr. I hope Anderson can finally fill position out and not worry about it.

Comments like that make me so angry at Ozzie. I mean, hopefully he's just saying that so Anderson won't get too comfortable with the starting job, but I don't think we have to worry about that. Anderson might have taken that approach 3 years ago, but he's matured a lot and I don't think he takes being a major league starter for granted. It might be nice if Ozzie would compliment the guy once in a while. He deserves it the way he's been playing since Wise got hurt.

Seriously though, if we're so worried about Brian maturing and everything...after several years of waiting, he's finally performing adequately, and when Ozzie's given a chance to speak on the subject, and all we get is "we'll reevaluate it."

At least give the kid a vote of confidence or something.

I don't understand BA is producing and is doing everything he should have been doing in 06. What does Ozzie not like about BA? Is is his atitude? His work ethic? I mean when it comes down to it Wise had his shot and went down in injury. If BA continues to have success there should be no need to bench him.

QUOTE (WinningUgly85 @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 11:21 PM)
I don't understand BA is producing and is doing everything he should have been doing in 06. What does Ozzie not like about BA? Is is his atitude? His work ethic? I mean when it comes down to it Wise had his shot and went down in injury. If BA continues to have success there should be no need to bench him.

Tony did a great job of summarizing Ozzie's though process on Anderson. He knew he might have got too comfortable in 2006, and doesn't want to see the same happen now. Honestly, with some of the question marks on this team right now, this "controversy" is absolutely nothing.

Throughout his career with the White Sox, Guillen has deliberately made choices intentionally that kept us from winning.

He really doesn't love the White Sox, and you can tell that from the Pythagorean numbers that he's one of the worst managers in the game. Mostly, he's held onto his job by holding onto grudges, and Reinsdorf really admires that in the staff he surrounds himself with.

If we had had Cito Gaston as our manager, we'd have won at least 2 and maybe 3 World Series championships this decade. We'd also still have Aaron Rowand and Joe Crede, because they're just the kind of players you cannot win without, and Cito understands this intuitively.

Guillen should still be a 3rd base coach with the Marlins or Braves, really.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 07:25 PM)
Throughout his career with the White Sox, Guillen has deliberately made choices intentionally that kept us from winning.

He really doesn't love the White Sox, and you can tell that from the Pythagorean numbers that he's one of the worst managers in the game. Mostly, he's held onto his job by holding onto grudges, and Reinsdorf really admires that in the staff he surrounds himself with.

If we had had Cito Gaston as our manager, we'd have won at least 2 and maybe 3 World Series championships this decade. We'd also still have Aaron Rowand and Joe Crede, because they're just the kind of players you cannot win without, and Cito understands this intuitively.

Guillen should still be a 3rd base coach with the Marlins or Braves, really.

Iim assuming this is a green post, but i'll play along. Ozzie is not an X's and O's guy, but he is an excellent leader of men.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 05:07 PM)
I don't think it'll actually happen though, I think Ozzie is just being diplomatic. But BA shouldn't have to look over his shoulder if he goes 0 for 4 one night.

I agree...but saying s*** like that makes him do exactly that. Goddamn Ozzie...shut yer pie hole once in a while.

I think its just encouragement directed at Wise while he's going through his rehab. Don't know if any of you had a separated shoulder and had to get back to an athletic event, be it football or baseball. But the rehab really sucks ,It's down right painful and grueling. So don't get your panties in a bunch. If you had that injury and had to actually participate in an athletic event you would understand.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 04:11 PM)
Seriously though, if we're so worried about Brian maturing and everything...after several years of waiting, he's finally performing adequately, and when Ozzie's given a chance to speak on the subject, and all we get is "we'll reevaluate it."

At least give the kid a vote of confidence or something.

Yeah, I agree. Unless Anderson is still acting like an immature D-bag in the clubhouse or something, these comments are completely counter-productive.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 03:39 PM)
When did Wise play "good" this year?

In the last four or five days before his injury. In Ozzie's twisted mind, that completely erases Wise's 0-12 start or whatever it was, and Anderson raking at the plate in his place.

I hope that BA goes on to have a good career, but I'm beginning to think that it's just not going to happen here, regardless of how he plays.

Edited by WCSox

Managers almost always say this when a player gets hurt. The conventional wisdom is that you do not lose your job because you got hurt. Of course, we all know that if the guy replacing you plays better, you really do end up losing your job. I don't see anything wrong with Ozzie saying the same thing that managers always say. The reaction on here is hilarious.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 05:26 PM)
Managers almost always say this when a player gets hurt. The conventional wisdom is that you do not lose your job because you got hurt. Of course, we all know that if the guy replacing you plays better, you really do end up losing your job. I don't see anything wrong with Ozzie saying the same thing that managers always say. The reaction on here is hilarious.

This rule applies to proven major-league talent, not career journeymen who can't hit ML pitching or field their current position.

Brian Anderson is performingvery well offesnively and defensively. I do not understand why Ozzie even feels it is necessary to open his sprig jaw and say anything about Wise's chances when he returns, if he does. Wise will be out awhile and will most likely need some playing time in the minors. He can vie with Scottie Pods for playing time at Charlotte. I like Wise, but Brian Anderson is the one who deserves to play CF and Ozzie should be pumping the kid up and not paving the way for a return to CF by Wise.