Ozzie's vendetta continues....

santo=dorf

Dikta had an unwritten rule that you would not lose your starting spot because of an injury, no matter how well your replacement was playing. I can sort of see it, you don't want guys hiding injuries.

Still, baseball is a lot different in the number of games. There is no reason why, upon his return, he can't get a start or two while BA rests. I'm pulling for Brian, I hope he wins the spot and finally gets some respect from Oz. If not, trade the man, he deserves that.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 06:16 PM)
This was in the same article, in regards to Anderson. Santo just chose not to include it.

I don't even consider this a story. Its been quite obvious over the years that Ozzie didn't take well to Anderson thinking the job was handed to him in 2006(even though it basically was). He had a big head, and it didn't sit well with Ozzie. Even if he has grown up since then, Ozzie doesn't want Anderson getting a big head after a little string of success.

If Anderson continues to post these numbers, he will be the starter.

Thanks for the whole story!

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 06:25 PM)
Throughout his career with the White Sox, Guillen has deliberately made choices intentionally that kept us from winning.

He really doesn't love the White Sox, and you can tell that from the Pythagorean numbers that he's one of the worst managers in the game. Mostly, he's held onto his job by holding onto grudges, and Reinsdorf really admires that in the staff he surrounds himself with.

If we had had Cito Gaston as our manager, we'd have won at least 2 and maybe 3 World Series championships this decade. We'd also still have Aaron Rowand and Joe Crede, because they're just the kind of players you cannot win without, and Cito understands this intuitively.

Guillen should still be a 3rd base coach with the Marlins or Braves, really.

So Guillen is trying to lose. That might be the most ignorant thing I have seen on here before, and that is saying something.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 09:18 PM)
So Guillen is trying to lose. That might be the most ignorant thing I have seen on here before, and that is saying something.

I figured that was sarcasm...? I mean it's way over the top and doesn't fit anything else he posts.

If Anderson is hitting .270, providing some decent ABs and playing the defense he is capable of it would defy any and all logic to give the job back to Wise. Kenny is high on Anderson. If he is producing, he will be the starter. Take things that Ozzie says in the public with a half of grain of salt.

Overreaction city. What's Ozzie suppose to say: "Wise?! Fat chance he'll ever see the field, we're riding Brian to the Series!'' I think he's just being courteous. Wise is already probably feeling down trying to rehab, while watching his replacement out play him. Why kick more dirt in his face, he knows whats up.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 08:12 PM)
Dikta had an unwritten rule that you would not lose your starting spot because of an injury, no matter how well your replacement was playing. I can sort of see it, you don't want guys hiding injuries.

Still, baseball is a lot different in the number of games. There is no reason why, upon his return, he can't get a start or two while BA rests. I'm pulling for Brian, I hope he wins the spot and finally gets some respect from Oz. If not, trade the man, he deserves that.

So do you think Jerrry Owens should have been in LF last year when he returned from injury with Quentin going back to the bench? Just remember 1 more loss meant no playoffs. I don't know what Ozzie was saying in this story. He almost seems to be saying two different things. We will see. If BA continues to play well and Wise gets significant time, then something is up. Until then, this is a non story.

The most controversial thing I think Ozzie said this weekend was if Beckham plays the White Sox are in trouble. This from a guy who makes out the line-up card with a guy hitting .136 leading off.

Edited by Dick Allen

I don't understand why so many of you take everything so seriously. I know we all love the Sox and all and have our opinions but we don't know squat about what goes on in Ozzie's mind or his reasons for saying what he did. For that matter we don't know anything about the inner workings of the team. Our opinions are based on knowing only what we see happening on the field and reading the opinions of those who have slightly more knowledge than us. I'm not supporting Ozzie or Anderson here, just saying our knowledge isn't worth the effort of trying to understand .

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 27, 2009 -> 02:47 AM)
So do you think Jerrry Owens should have been in LF last year when he returned from injury with Quentin going back to the bench? Just remember 1 more loss meant no playoffs. I don't know what Ozzie was saying in this story. He almost seems to be saying two different things. We will see. If BA continues to play well and Wise gets significant time, then something is up. Until then, this is a non story.

The most controversial thing I think Ozzie said this weekend was if Beckham plays the White Sox are in trouble. This from a guy who makes out the line-up card with a guy hitting .136 leading off.

The more I think about it, the more I wish Ozzie would have just not said anything about Anderson. The last thing you want is Anderson changing his approach at the plate or pressing if he has a bad game.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 06:49 PM)
The more I think about it, the more I wish Ozzie would have just not said anything about Anderson. The last thing you want is Anderson changing his approach at the plate or pressing if he has a bad game.

Anderson's used to this kind of thing. We are seeing some adjustments by him already . He's taking walks and being more selective at the dish. If he continues doing that he'll be an asset to this team.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 09:51 PM)
Anderson's used to this kind of thing. We are seeing some adjustments by him already . He's taking walks and being more selective at the dish. If he continues doing that he'll be an asset to this team.

His glove is already an asset to the team. Unfortunately, Ozzie doesn't understand.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 07:48 PM)
I don't understand why so many of you take everything so seriously. I know we all love the Sox and all and have our opinions but we don't know squat about what goes on in Ozzie's mind or his reasons for saying what he did. For that matter we don't know anything about the inner workings of the team. Our opinions are based on knowing only what we see happening on the field and reading the opinions of those who have slightly more knowledge than us. I'm not supporting Ozzie or Anderson here, just saying our knowledge isn't worth the effort of trying to understand .

Nice post. I agree wholeheartedly.

I'm not going to worry about this. I have faith that Ozzie sees some of the rockets coming off the bat of Brian lately.

Man, I am so excited for the kid...

It's safe to say Brian is becoming a fan favorite on this board. Or is it still that anti-Wise sentiment turning Brian into a star in some's eyes?

If Brian keeps doing well, he'll be the center fielder, don't worry about it.

Ozzie is a lifelong baseball guy who is going to be in baseball the next 20 to 25 years and yet some think they know more than him.

Edited by greg775

''Beckham doesn't play second,'' Guillen said. ''If you see Beckham up here this year, we're in trouble. He should play a full season [at Birmingham]. If we have to [bring him up], we will, but I hope we don't have to.''

The full quote on Beckham...just for clarification.

He also said Nix is playing well down at Charlotte.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 08:20 PM)
I figured that was sarcasm...? I mean it's way over the top and doesn't fit anything else he posts.

The give-away was the mention of the pythag. stats. Ozzie outperforms "expected" wins and is a good manager according to it.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 27, 2009 -> 01:08 AM)
It's safe to say Brian is becoming a fan favorite on this board. Or is it still that anti-Wise sentiment turning Brian into a star in some's eyes?

If Brian keeps doing well, he'll be the center fielder, don't worry about it.

Ozzie is a lifelong baseball guy who is going to be in baseball the next 20 to 25 years and yet some think they know more than him.

Brian has always had a strong group of loyal supporters on this board (myself included).

Edited by StrangeSox

Stepping up: Brian Anderson's defense has never been an issue.

Offense has always been responsible for holding the 27-year-old center fielder out of the starting lineup, but Anderson was 3-for-4 Sunday and he's batting a robust .349 overall.

"To me this isn't a sprint, it's a marathon," manager Ozzie Guillen said. "But he's having great at-bats, and if he keeps playing like that he should be the center fielder."

If those sound like atypically nice words for Anderson from Guillen, so be it.

"I will, positive or negative," Guillen said when asked if he'll stay on Anderson. "That's the way I am, and how I do my stuff. All of his teammates are rooting for him. I'm rooting for him. I want him to have success. I want him to have a good career. I hope he steps it up to be what he can be."

www.dailyherald.com

Wow Ozzie, stop being so unfair. More criticism, please.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 11:08 PM)

I don't think that it has anything to do with either of them on a personal level. Sox fans have been waiting for somebody to fill the gaping hole in CF for the past three years. Anderson *might* have finally developed into that guy. Wise has a longer record of failure in the bigs and doesn't have the defensive tools to play CF anyway.

One thing that Ozzie is doing differently is even caring about injured players. He really has never gone into what any injured player's status when he returned, his line has always been he doesn't think about them when they can't play.

As a BA fan, its obvious he isn't going to hit .320, but if he can hit .255 (Wise hit .248 last year) with a little power and some defense, he should start unless the Sox acquire someone else. Its all up to BA. I hope and think he will build on his recent success.

I think some of you guys are getting a little ahead of yourselves, it's not time to declare Brian anything just yet, it's still several more weeks before we can really evaluate his progress. I understand why his supporters would be excited. Ozzie's perceived unpredictability aside, if Brian continues to play well for another few weeks, the job is his permanently.

i've been watching BA's at-bats closely since he's taken over the starting role, and one thing i've noticed (primarily) is he's not chasing the breaking balls away

watch his at-bats yesterday against halladay, he was being busted inside over and over with that two-seam fastball, and then halladay would go off the plate away with what looked like a cutter or some type of breaking ball (maybe a slider), and BA would lay off of them

in all of his at-bats, it looked as though he knew he was being set up by the pitcher, they were nice to see and unlike any other AB's i've seen him take as a sox player