4/27 Games

flavum

Nice to see Viciedo getting some knocks the last couple games. Hopefully he takes off from here.

Retherford with a dinger too. 3-2 Barons

W-S's Shirek--7 innings, 4 hits, 0 runs, 1 BB, 8 K's

Danks 2-4, up to .325.

Might Danks be moved up to Birmingham this year?

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (scenario @ Apr 27, 2009 -> 07:14 PM)
Only if someone gets promoted... and so far none of the Baron outfielders are stepping up.

I wouldn't be suprised to see one of Owens or Restovich released when the lineup starts to stabilize. Then i see a promotion for both Cook and Danks.

QUOTE (scenario @ Apr 27, 2009 -> 08:14 PM)
Only if someone gets promoted... and so far none of the Baron outfielders are stepping up.

Gartrell is probably the best prospect to be moved, although he's a Tier 2/3 prospect, overall. Five homers isn't bad, though. Doesn't seem like Gartrell will ever hit for a high average, but he was supposed to be on the AFL team before Danks took his place, correct?

Danks will probably be on the Winston-Salem roster until the ASB. No need to rush him, and it's a good thing if Danks and Shelby can both play CF for as long as they can, which means separate teams for now, unless they decide to move Shelby back to LF.

Shelby undoubtedly needs a full year of AA.

Brandon Allen just struck out with the bases loaded (three homers in a week, not bad!)...Beckham is struggling a bit now, down to .284.

Edited by caulfield12

I think once Beckham breaks through, he's never going to look back. It might be good for him in the long run if he slumps a little bit now.

Viciedo is 3-3. .238 never looked so good.

Winston-Salem won 9-2.

Shirek (3-0, 3.18 ERA)

Homers for Sanchez and Gallagher.

Edited by flavum

Yep, still quite early in the season. A couple of nights ago, there was speculation about him being demoted to Winston-Salem or being overmatched, two nights from now he might be sporting a higher BA than Beckham and everyone will be panicking about Gordon and asking "what's wrong with Slayer?"

Viciedo's defense has solidified, and everyone is raving about his arm as well.

Brian Anderson now has a higher OPS than Gordon Beckham as well as Dayan Viciedo. Didn't think that would happen in 2009.

Edited by caulfield12

Beckham with two out RBI double into LF corner, scoring Hudson.

Still a prospect, after all. Now at .294.

Flowers crushed one down the LF line that was "obliterated" according to the Barons' announcer. Just foul. Magallanes and Flowers contesting the decision a bit but settling down after Tyler came all the way to the mound to get a clarification. Cleared foul pole by so much it was very hard to call fair or foul. Missed a home run of "epic proportion" by inches. Flower strikes out on the curveball and glares daggers at 3B umpire who called his ball foul.

4-2 Barons.

Foolish manager brings in LHR Maine (related to Mets' pitcher??) thinking to nullify Allen, not realizing Brandon hits lefties better and toyed with David Price last year. It works though, as ball is popped up and run down with a very good play by the SS in the outfield.

Kyle McCulloch with four straight quality starts...bring on the Broadway comparisons.

Edited by caulfield12

McCulloch...sounds like he's a real competitor on the mound, much like Broadway. Are they the same?

...and now McCulloch took one off the hand. They're checking him out. He's ok.

He's done...

7 innings, 7 hits, 2 runs, 2 walks, 2 k's

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Apr 27, 2009 -> 06:48 PM)
I really wanted to go to tonight's game. What a terrible time for finals.

B'ham and Montgomery aren't far from Mobile. Just up I-65 for both. The Barons will play in Montgomery a fair bit since they're in the same division.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 27, 2009 -> 10:06 PM)
McCulloch...sounds like he's a real competitor on the mound, much like Broadway. Are they the same?

...and now McCulloch took one off the hand. They're checking him out. He's ok.

He's done...

7 innings, 7 hits, 2 runs, 2 walks, 2 k's

THis is second go around in AA, correct?

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Apr 28, 2009 -> 03:17 AM)
B'ham and Montgomery aren't far from Mobile. Just up I-65 for both. The Barons will play in Montgomery a fair bit since they're in the same division.

Going to a Biscuits game is probably the only reason I would go to Montgomery. Is there any other reason?

Oh, and the flea market. I hear it's just like a mini-mall.