Arlen Specter to switch parties

Balta1701

Here's his official statement. Splitting a new thread out of the dem thread.

Statement by Senator Arlen Specter

I have been a Republican since 1966. I have been working extremely hard for the Party, for its candidates and for the ideals of a Republican Party whose tent is big enough to welcome diverse points of view. While I have been comfortable being a Republican, my Party has not defined who I am. I have taken each issue one at a time and have exercised independent judgment to do what I thought was best for Pennsylvania and the nation.

Since my election in 1980, as part of the Reagan Big Tent, the Republican Party has moved far to the right. Last year, more than 200,000 Republicans in Pennsylvania changed their registration to become Democrats. I now find my political philosophy more in line with Democrats than Republicans.

When I supported the stimulus package, I knew that it would not be popular with the Republican Party. But, I saw the stimulus as necessary to lessen the risk of a far more serious recession than we are now experiencing.

Since then, I have traveled the State, talked to Republican leaders and office-holders and my supporters and I have carefully examined public opinion. It has become clear to me that the stimulus vote caused a schism which makes our differences irreconcilable. On this state of the record, I am unwilling to have my twenty-nine year Senate record judged by the Pennsylvania Republican primary electorate. I have not represented the Republican Party. I have represented the people of Pennsylvania.

I have decided to run for re-election in 2010 in the Democratic primary.

I am ready, willing and anxious to take on all comers and have my candidacy for re-election determined in a general election.

I deeply regret that I will be disappointing many friends and supporters. I can understand their disappointment. I am also disappointed that so many in the Party I have worked for for more than four decades do not want me to be their candidate. It is very painful on both sides. I thank specially Senators McConnell and Cornyn for their forbearance.

I am not making this decision because there are no important and interesting opportunities outside the Senate. I take on this complicated run for re-election because I am deeply concerned about the future of our country and I believe I have a significant contribution to make on many of the key issues of the day, especially medical research. NIH funding has saved or lengthened thousands of lives, including mine, and much more needs to be done. And my seniority is very important to continue to bring important projects vital to Pennsylvania’s economy.

I am taking this action now because there are fewer than thirteen months to the 2010 Pennsylvania Primary and there is much to be done in preparation for that election. Upon request, I will return campaign contributions contributed during this cycle.

While each member of the Senate caucuses with his Party, what each of us hopes to accomplish is distinct from his party affiliation. The American people do not care which Party solves the problems confronting our nation. And no Senator, no matter how loyal he is to his Party, should or would put party loyalty above his duty to the state and nation.

My change in party affiliation does not mean that I will be a party-line voter any more for the Democrats that I have been for the Republicans. Unlike Senator Jeffords’ switch which changed party control, I will not be an automatic 60th vote for cloture. For example, my position on Employees Free Choice (Card Check) will not change.

Whatever my party affiliation, I will continue to be guided by President Kennedy’s statement that sometimes Party asks too much. When it does, I will continue my independent voting and follow my conscience on what I think is best for Pennsylvania and America.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Immediate reactions:

1. It's going to be a long, long, long time before Minnesota ever seats its 2nd Senator now. The MN Supreme Court doesn't hear the challenge until June 1, and after that fails, Coleman will undoubtedly launch a challenge in Federal Court, while the governor of MN will now continue to deny his certification signature until he is compelled to do so by a court. It could be 2010 before he's seated.

2. Specter was going to lose if he didn't do this. He is a much stronger candidate in the general election than in the Republican Primary. Either way the Dems were going to wind up taking that seat in 2010 barring a complete Republican surge. This is probably the most "Centrist" method.

3. I wonder what the Dems offered him to get him to switch, chairmanship wise.

4. While he says he'll still be a no vote on things like the EFCA and Cloture, which will make him frustrating, the difference now is that the Dems can officially whip him and whip him hard on things. Labor, for example, can decide how much support they are going to give him based on his votes, and that can make the difference between him winning or losing in the general.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 28, 2009 -> 01:06 PM)
Immediate reactions:

1. It's going to be a long, long, long time before Minnesota ever seats its 2nd Senator now. The MN Supreme Court doesn't hear the challenge until June 1, and after that fails, Coleman will undoubtedly launch a challenge in Federal Court, while the governor of MN will now continue to deny his certification signature until he is compelled to do so by a court. It could be 2010 before he's seated.

It's really retarded and hypocritical that they would want to go to the Feds with this, but I get that politics isn't about principles, it's about reality and how much you can get.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 28, 2009 -> 01:26 PM)
:headbang :headbang

I think it's laughable that you try and claim you are an independent.

Specter often votes with the Dems anyways. As Balta said, he would have been destroyed in the GOP primary and this was his only chance to win re-election. He would fare better in a general. Despite anything he says, this is all about him and what is best for him.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 28, 2009 -> 01:31 PM)

Specter often votes with the Dems anyways. As Balta said, he would have been destroyed in the GOP primary and this was his only chance to win re-election. He would fare better in a general. Despite anything he says, this is all about him and what is best for him.

He's not going to be firmly in the Dem camp on all issues, but I think it also has to do with the fact that the GOP right now is a train wreck (I think it was you that I was talking about this with a few days ago).

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 28, 2009 -> 12:31 PM)

I am an independent. The GOP (Excuse me, the Limbaugh Party) is laughable and a joke right now. I find it hard to support them. Plus, I support many of Obama's policies, which this move will help.

Holy frijoles!

Clearly this was done for his betterment. However, I am also glad to see one of the few remaining moderate Republicans in Congress point out the wreck that the GOP has become, and how far right the useless religious right has taken that party.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 28, 2009 -> 01:35 PM)
I am an independent. The GOP (Excuse me, the Limbaugh Party) is laughable and a joke right now. I find it hard to support them. Plus, I support many of Obama's policies, which this move will help.

Independent people don't rah-rah cheerlead 99% of moves one party makes and criticize 99% of everything pertaining to the other. But whatever, it is what it is. I don't want to ruin this thread.

Everything Balta said was my position. I still think he isn't 100% on EFCA, he's switched his mind once already.

But, Dems bringing in moderates-conservatives into their party is better than getting rid of them. Why the republicans are continuing this race to the right is just really confusing.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Apr 28, 2009 -> 12:39 PM)
I wonder if he will change his stance on the employee free choice act now.

Because Unions fix everything. The only thing the EFCA will do, is convince more companies to ship their jobs out of the US.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 28, 2009 -> 11:06 AM)
Immediate reactions:

2. Specter was going to lose if he didn't do this. He is a much stronger candidate in the general election than in the Republican Primary. Either way the Dems were going to wind up taking that seat in 2010 barring a complete Republican surge. This is probably the most "Centrist" method.

3. I wonder what the Dems offered him to get him to switch, chairmanship wise.

4. While he says he'll still be a no vote on things like the EFCA and Cloture, which will make him frustrating, the difference now is that the Dems can officially whip him and whip him hard on things. Labor, for example, can decide how much support they are going to give him based on his votes, and that can make the difference between him winning or losing in the general.

Pertaining to #4 he better start doing his mouth exercises. Open wide Arlen the unions are HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!! :lolhitting

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 28, 2009 -> 11:47 AM)
Everything Balta said was my position. I still think he isn't 100% on EFCA, he's switched his mind once already.

But, Dems bringing in moderates-conservatives into their party is better than getting rid of them. Why the republicans are continuing this race to the right is just really confusing.

He just switched for the second time in his career. I believe he started out as a Dem.......... The other thing that I find really humorous is the only area where the gov't(Obama) does not want to regulate more is unions.

Edited by Cknolls

I think that if politicians decide to switch parties while they are stil lin office that they should be required to resign and run again under thier new party. After all, most people voted for that person based on their party, and if they are now switchign parties, they just disenfranchised everyone who had voted for them. Guess he doesnt have enough balls to try and run as an independent, eh?