Predict which player is gone first, and who replaces him

caulfield12

I'm guessing Jerry Owens, and Nix takes his place.

Although actually I would prefer an Owens unconditional release, Nix to take Lillibridge's spot and we signed a veteran like Edmonds, Geoff Jenkins, Luis Gonzalez or Jay Payton.

Heck, Frank Catalanotto wouldn't be the worst either, except they would all take non-existent AB's away from Wilson Betemit. I would even rather have Frank Thomas on the bench than Owens on the roster. Bring up Pods. Anything but Owens. ABO.

Ozzie, if Getz isn't going tonight and we're playing Jerry Owens, try Betemit at SS or 2B (hopefully putting Lillibridge on the pine).

Lillibridge doesn't have much of a chance to put in anything over 90 MPH and up into the field of play with any authority.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 28, 2009 -> 06:41 PM)
I'm guessing Jerry Owens, and Nix takes his place.

Although actually I would prefer an Owens unconditional release, Nix to take Lillibridge's spot and we signed a veteran like Edmonds, Geoff Jenkins, Luis Gonzalez or Jay Payton.

Heck, Frank Catalanotto wouldn't be the worst either, except they would all take non-existent AB's away from Wilson Betemit. I would even rather have Frank Thomas on the bench than Owens on the roster. Bring up Pods. Anything but Owens. ABO.

Ozzie, if Getz isn't going tonight and we're playing Jerry Owens, try Betemit at SS or 2B (hopefully putting Lillibridge on the pine).

Lillibridge doesn't have much of a chance to put in anything over 90 MPH and up into the field of play with any authority.

Where would they play?!?!?!?!?

OMG.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 28, 2009 -> 07:41 PM)
On the bench. Oh, my God. Anderson is leading off.

Never thought this day would happen.

When your other options are Brent Lillibridge and Jerry Owens, Brian starts to look damn good especially given his past success against Felix.

Broadway or Owens or Miller or Lillibridge. None are major league players. I think it probably will be Owens the first out, followed by Broadway. For some reason, Ozzie and a portion of soxtalk think Lillibridge brings something to the table and perhaps he does as a pinch runner. He would be on base far more as a pinch runner than he would be as someone who actually had to earn his way on base. He sucks offensively. One of the worst offensive players on a major league roster IMO.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 05:44 AM)
Broadway or Owens or Miller or Lillibridge. None are major league players. I think it probably will be Owens the first out, followed by Broadway. For some reason, Ozzie and a portion of soxtalk think Lillibridge brings something to the table and perhaps he does as a pinch runner. He would be on base far more as a pinch runner than he would be as someone who actually had to earn his way on base. He sucks.

Miller's done an incredible job behind the plate....no issues with him so far.

QUOTE (LZPride08 @ Apr 28, 2009 -> 07:34 PM)
OF/DH

None of these players dh should and would play in place of thome, whether thome produces (well) for us or not this season.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 28, 2009 -> 07:41 PM)
On the bench.

All of these players are outfielders and are a signifigant downside to their careers.

Edmonds is simply not coming here, we know that much, and he was extremely bad defensively last season.

Jenkins has looked brutal at the plate these past two seasons, though he is above average defensively. Phillies fans were really hard on him on him in recent memory, much like the konerko situation last season.

Gonzalez is roughly a league average hitter at this point, who would undoubtly do worse than ever in the american league. Gonzalez is currently an atrocious defender and that is probally putting in nicely.

Catalanotto is very mediocore all around at this point and we already have our back up first baseman, betemit.

Payton is plus defender all things considered, though he is almost positively done offensively.

Basically, the outfield is set, our fourth and fifth outfielders on the depth chart are very bad, and there is pretty much zero percent chance anything is changing in that regard this season, barring an injury.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 28, 2009 -> 11:45 PM)
Miller's done an incredible job behind the plate....no issues with him so far.

An 0-30 or so is just around the corner. The problem is, unless Flowers is called up, there is no obvious better option in the system and calling up Flowers to play part time is not wise.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 04:47 AM)
An 0-30 or so is just around the corner. The problem is, unless Flowers is called up, there is no obvious better option in the system and calling up Flowers to play part time is not wise.

Our depth at nearly every position is pathetic this season. That's what happens when you don't spend any money during the offseason. It's funny that the Sox really thought Viciedo would contribute at the MLB level this season.

I haven't seen much of the Sox on TV yet this year, but I did get a chance to watch a good chuck of yesterday's first game. And I will agree that Lillibridge has to go. Actually, I'd like to see him and Owens depart. They are very similar and complement each other well. Owens can't hit from the left side, and Lillibridge can't hit from the right side.

As far as who replaces...I'd say Nix. He had a good spring up until his injury. Hopefully he can bring it back.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 28, 2009 -> 11:49 PM)
Our depth at nearly every position is pathetic this season. That's what happens when you don't spend any money during the offseason. It's funny that the Sox really thought Viciedo would contribute at the MLB level this season.

Our "depth" in terms of players who can sit on the bench is not good, that's true, with the exception of Betemit, who's not being utilized properly.

You will get your wish soon if Fields continues to struggle. He's kind of getting lost in the shuffle because of all the focus on Owens, Getz, Lillibridge, the leadoff spot and Anderson.

Viciedo, I think, will be fine. His hitless streak got a lot of attention, but he's already back up to .235 in the span of just a couple of games. From everything I've heard on the Net and listened to on the broadcasts, he has been much better than expected at 3B, and has a cannon for an arm. At any, he's come a long way in a couple of days from being on the cusp of a demotion to Winston-Salem (that was more an imagined one).

Our AAA team is horrible...our AA team is one of the best in the minor leagues. But none of those guys are going to come up and play part-time, as Ozzie has said repeatedly.

Despite our offense, the real concerns are always going to be, first and foremost, pitching. Broadway's pathetic performance wasn't unexpected by anyone.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 28, 2009 -> 11:47 PM)

Given Flowers is still learning the position, no chance they call him up. Lucy would be the next call-up for catcher.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 08:45 AM)
Given Flowers is still learning the position, no chance they call him up. Lucy would be the next call-up for catcher.

I am a Donny Lucy fan, but a .219 average in AAA is not grounds for a call-up, that's why I don't mention him. Obviously, his ABs are few so a good week and he's more respectable, but just like Egbert and Broadway, guys not getting the job done in AAA shouldn't be expected to get it done in Chicago.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 10:32 AM)
I am a Donny Lucy fan, but a .219 average in AAA is not grounds for a call-up, that's why I don't mention him. Obviously, his ABs are few so a good week and he's more respectable, but just like Egbert and Broadway, guys not getting the job done in AAA shouldn't be expected to get it done in Chicago.

I'm not saying he is deserving - just that he is the only real option right now. The other C at AAA is Cole Armstrong, who right now has a .129/.156/.194 line for a whopping .350 OPS. Lucy's .606 OPS in limited AB this year and the .791 he put up in slightly more time at AAA last year look almost stellar in comparison.