Anemic White Sox offense in the last 8 games...

caulfield12

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 05:02 AM)
I couldn't agree more. Its amazing how many people stil put Lillibridge ahead of Anderson and Wise. Lillibridge is no better and probably worse offensively than Jerry Owens, but for some reason(probably because KW said so) they think he's a viable offensive major league player. He's nothing more than a late inning defensive replacement and a pinch runner.

I said earlier...he'd be a great September call-up. As a 25 man roster player, it's an absolute joke. The problem is that we have 3 of these types right now (Lill, Owens, Broadway). The talent level on this team is pretty scary right now with Getz/Thome out.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 12:05 AM)
I said earlier...he'd be a great September call-up. As a 25 man roster player, it's an absolute joke. The problem is that we have 3 of these types right now (Lill, Owens, Broadway). The talent level on this team is pretty scary right now with Getz/Thome out.

Well luckily it looks like Getz will be in the lineup tomorrow and Thome probably Friday.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 06:05 AM)
Well luckily it looks like Getz will be in the lineup tomorrow and Thome probably Friday.

I feel like Lillibridge is still going to get the majority of the starts against LHP. Ozzie was asked about Getz facing lefties the other day, and he said it's not something that's going to happen very often.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 12:05 AM)

I've been saying since 2005 AJP was the key to the White Sox doing anything, because if he went down, the Sox were screwed, they had no other viable options., Now it seems to have expanded to a couple of other spots.

That said, no matter what anyone says, this divison is fairly weak. There is no great team. If the Sox can stay around .500 and play the teams that aren't all so good in their division decently, they will have a chance.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 12:08 AM)
I feel like Lillibridge is still going to get the majority of the starts against LHP. Ozzie was asked about Getz facing lefties the other day, and he said it's not something that's going to happen very often.

Yeah because Getz's 7 major league ABs against left handed pitching (3 hits by the way) is proof enough to Ozzie that he can't f***ing handle them, right? That's just stupid.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 06:13 AM)
Yeah because Getz's 7 major league ABs against left handed pitching (3 hits by the way) is proof enough to Ozzie that he can't f***ing handle them, right? That's just stupid.

It was from a clip prior to either Friday or Saturday night's game when there was a brief rain delay.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 12:05 AM)

Take it for the source, but after Cowley did his number on how Wise should start again because starters don't lose their jobs to injury, he stated that Getz would be out tomorrow probably so Ozzie could max his rest.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 28, 2009 -> 11:46 PM)
Why, so he can hit into a double play if our leadoff man gets on base?

He hit into 9 double plays last season in 378 plate appearances last season, which is not exactly bad considering his lack of speed. He hit into 4 batting in the six hole in a little less than one third of the plate appearances. 5 out of 7 seasons pierzynski has hit into 14 or less double plays, though in the two seasons which he hit into more he hit into 27 and 21. I find it pretty amazing considering his contact rate, the lack of speed as i already mentioned, and his knack for grounders to the second baseman. Actually, all the grounders he hits to second is a good thing, compared to a right handed hitter who will hit the vast majority of their grounders to the left side of the infield, making an easy turn of a double play.

Pierzyzski is a very solid fast ball hitter, who can compliment batting second better with his ability to hit off speed better than either fields or ramirez can hit their weaknesses. Pierzynski knows how to gives himself up in the right situations, and has shown the ability to not try and do too much, therefore defeating the purpose in the first place (when you try and do too much). After seeing him bat in the two hole last season, anyone would be hard pressed to convince me that we have a better option on our current roster. I also believe he would could possibly even have a little more success with a much more consistent (hopefully) getz over cabrera in the lead off role.

The downside would of course be having three of the first four batters being left handed. I fully believe it would benefit the team as fields needs to be put in the position to truly succeed, aka, hit for the slugging he is supposed to. Pierzynski will do practically the same thing he does anywhere in the line up, while fields is being limited. Fields is not a two hitter now and never will be, in a pinch i can see it working, or for a short span of time, long term i just cannot see it.

Ramirez is currently lost enough as it is hitting down in the line-up, putting the burden of him batting second, and having the job to do even more things than normal, like just swinging away, well it is laughable.

Lillibridge cannot hit.

Owens cannot hit.

Alexi needs to get his act together soon.

AJP ain't getting any younger.

Thome is what he is, he hits occasional bombs to go with strikeouts and balls hit into the shift.

The other guys are OK to good.

We will win when we homer; we will lose when we don't. That's not all bad if we keep getting this good starting pitching

And here we are, still b****ing about the SAME problems this team has had and not addressed, some for a few years now. Sucks, doesn't it? I dunno about anyone else, but I feel like either this organization just doesn't give a s*** anymore or just doesn't know what the hell they are doing, Ozzie first and foremost in general.

I got a question... Why does Thome continually try and pull the ball when he has the shift on? He's a major league hitter right? He should easily be able to poke one out to the leftside for easy hits. I just don't get why he tries to pull and drive the ball when he is being given practically the whole left side poke the ball through for a hit. Hell, I'd love to see him lay down a bunt, if he knows how.

Edited by BearSox

1) Because they pitch into the shift...and try to force him to roll over and ground to 2nd. If they threw all the pitches on the outside half of the plate (especially high), he would have many more opportunities to hit homers that way. As far as bunting, I don't know if we want Thome running full out at age 38 and risking more injuries like the heel problem he currently has. It's a lot easier for him to get a walk than learn how to bunt for the first time at his age.

2) In all fairness, Thome has hit at least two homers to the opposite field...and one single to the left side on the ground, and that's just from the games I've watched.

Edited by caulfield12

Why is Lillibridge on this team and Nix sitting at AAA. I know Nix will get hurt but he could lead-off and hopefully stay healthy until Getz comes back.

After Tampa I had some hope for Lillibridge but now, not so much. He needs to change his approach to a slap hitter like an Eckstein and hope his speed can carry him.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 09:10 AM)
I got a question... Why does Thome continually try and pull the ball when he has the shift on? He's a major league hitter right? He should easily be able to poke one out to the leftside for easy hits. I just don't get why he tries to pull and drive the ball when he is being given practically the whole left side poke the ball through for a hit. Hell, I'd love to see him lay down a bunt, if he knows how.

His natural tendency is to pull the ball, and while he has good power to left and center field, he's at his absolute best when he's pulling it. When the situation calls for it, he does go the other way, such as when he can bring a runner in from 2nd or 3rd.

Push come to shove, he's going to walk right around 100 times every season, and he's got ridiculous power to right field. So why would he try and poke a single to left field when he's just as likely to end up on 1st in the AB? I have no problem with the way Thome handles himself at the plate, and he's one of the smartest hitters the Sox have. He's just getting old and the bat speed is starting to slow down.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 10:41 AM)
His natural tendency is to pull the ball, and while he has good power to left and center field, he's at his absolute best when he's pulling it. When the situation calls for it, he does go the other way, such as when he can bring a runner in from 2nd or 3rd.

Push come to shove, he's going to walk right around 100 times every season, and he's got ridiculous power to right field. So why would he try and poke a single to left field when he's just as likely to end up on 1st in the AB? I have no problem with the way Thome handles himself at the plate, and he's one of the smartest hitters the Sox have. He's just getting old and the bat speed is starting to slow down.

A differnt appraoch at this point in his career against a tough leftie would not be the worst thing is what I think everyone is saying. Especially when he is slumping.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 10:44 AM)
A differnt appraoch at this point in his career against a tough leftie would not be the worst thing is what I think everyone is saying. Especially when he is slumping.

He does do that. I've seen him do it a few times this season. Thome is a very effective hitter, still, at this point in his career. Why mess with that?

Did any of the guys bashing Thome now ever bash Harold Baines? He had the same shift in the infield, although the OF played him to hit it the other way. Only 13 or 14 players have hit more homers or walked as much as Jim Thome in major league history. For him to change his approach is dumb. He's not a singles hitter. He's a slugger. His job is to drive in runs. Not many in the history of the game have done it much better. In fact when he's hot, most teams would love for him to try to hit a grounder the other way for a single.

Well, I guess the argument being made is Thome (or Griffey, etc.), aren't the same hitters, so they should try to adjust.

Some want him to bunt and hitter grounders down the 3B for possible doubles, others think that is pretty much insane to suggest a radical change in approach (at age 38) when he's been a HOF player despite facing shifts (like Ortiz or Bonds) his entire career.

Edited by caulfield12

Offense has been dissapointing, but no more than our middle relief. Inconsistency seems to be our issue right now IMO and I think patience is really the answer. I just don't see any real options out there for us but a wholesale change or scapegoat hunt is not the answer. Yet anyway.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 04:14 PM)
Well, I guess the argument being made is Thome (or Griffey, etc.), aren't the same hitters, so they should try to adjust.

Some want him to bunt and hitter grounders down the 3B for possible doubles, others think that is pretty much insane to suggest a radical change in approach (at age 38) when he's been a HOF player despite facing shifts (like Ortiz or Bonds) his entire career.

The issue of Thome making adjustments is perplexing. He is paid to hit homers and drive in runs. I don't think quitting the home run approach is the answer, but one would think that to get on base more or drive in runs might mean taking the pitch to LF and might help his average and production. Maybe he should do that a bit more. There is no argument that Jim Thome can still hit the ball out of any park and can hit the homer to LF and left center.

Edited by elrockinMT