Thome to DL?

elrockinMT

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 07:28 PM)
You know, it really does bother me. It's a shame but year's from now the 4 years Thome spent on the South Side won't be nearly as appreciated as they should be, I guess that's the price you pay when you're the type of hitter that Thome is especially when you're 35+ years old.

And it's not just Soxtalk, it's the fandom as a whole.

there are people who fully believe that Thome isn't a Hall of Famer. I find that to be completely absurd.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 08:50 PM)
there are people who fully believe that Thome isn't a Hall of Famer. I find that to be completely absurd.

Even more absurd are those who believe that Edgar Martinez IS a HOFer.

With all due respect to Thome and Big Frank, the next Sox DH should be capable of playing a position as well. It would give Ozzie the flexibility to rest people via the DH slot and would be injury insurance. Having that guy on the roster who can do nothing else but DH is too restricting on a 25 man roster with inter league play.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Apr 30, 2009 -> 09:06 AM)
With all due respect to Thome and Big Frank, the next Sox DH should be capable of playing a position as well. It would give Ozzie the flexibility to rest people via the DH slot and would be injury insurance. Having that guy on the roster who can do nothing else but DH is too restricting on a 25 man roster with inter league play.

There's a reason that quite a few teams go the other route with the DH: it's a money saver. You can get a guy more cheaply if he is a liability in the field, but get the same offensive performance out of him.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Apr 30, 2009 -> 11:06 AM)

If said hitter can put up an .850-.900 OPS, I could care less if is missing an arm. I have no problem with the DH not being able to field a position.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 30, 2009 -> 11:22 AM)
If said hitter can put up an .850-.900 OPS, I could care less if is missing an arm. I have no problem with the DH not being able to field a position.

I would like to point out that I am fine with the Jim that we've seen thus far... but I don't see Thome putting up much better production this year than what we're seeing... .772 OPS.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 30, 2009 -> 12:25 PM)
I would like to point out that I am fine with the Jim that we've seen thus far... but I don't see Thome putting up much better production this year than what we're seeing... .772 OPS.

I would bet a case of beer he puts up an OPS of .850, give or take a few, assuming that he's healthy

QUOTE (qwerty @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 07:06 PM)
51% of his hits last season went for an extra base hits which is phenomenal. But there is still a downside to him at this point

Allen had a 6 to 1 k/bb rate in 2006 in his first go around with kannapolis.

126 strikeout to 22 walks.

Allen had a 3 to 1 k/bb rate in 2007 in his second go around with kannapolis.

124 strikeouts to 39 walks.

Allen had a 2 to 1 k/bb rate in 2008 between winston and birmingham last season.

124 strikeouts to 60 walks.

While he is clearly on a upward trend with his walk rate he is yet to improve k'ing. One of three things need to happen in the minors before his is considered big time, he needs to raise his walk rate, lower the k rate, or even a slight combination of both. He needs most of this season if not all of this season in double a before we have an idea of what we have on our hands. It is almost assured he would exposed very bad if he were to come up at any point this season.

A very nice positive for him though, he seems to be a better defender than most anyone realized.

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2009/4/4/...-base-prospects

His K% is quite low the first month of this season. About 10%, or less than half of the rate Allen has struck out in previous years. Allen would strike out a lot if called up (probably 25%-30%), but exploit our small park and be the best replacement for a left-handed hitting 1B/DH-type if Thome missed significant time on the DL. I don't see it as detrimental to Allen's development

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 11:46 AM)
Joe Cowley is now reporting that Ozzie is concerned about Thome's heel injury and that it might be more serious than first reported. Thome may be on DL if not better for the start of the Texas series on Friday

Thats it im starting the "IF WE SIGN PODS, WE MUST SIGN THE BIG HURT" Petition...Whose with me?!