AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!

Greg Hibbard

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 03:58 PM)
also not worried about Floyd...dude gutted through a game when I'm sure he didn't have his best stuff and still provided a quality start.

At what point does his 1.9 season WHIP become disconcerting to people

If he has anything close to that when the weather is warm look for his ERA to approach 8.

Edited by Greg Hibbard

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 05:09 PM)
I'll take it. 2 out of three and I'm always happy.

We've got to start taking better care of our home field advantage. That was what really stood out last April/May, and our starting pitching was very dominant.

6-6 at home, 5-4 on the road.

I think it's five away (Texas, then Greinke/Davies) and five at home.

2 out of 3 when Bedard and King Felix are pitching is pretty good. The weather should be fine over the next week on the road, so hopefully the sox bats will explode over this trip.

It will be nice to get Getz back at the top of the order.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 04:57 PM)
Really worried about Floyd though.

Nah. How many people hit him hard today? One?

At least 3 of the hits he gave up never left the infield. And a few more were of the Minnesota Twins gork-shot variety.

If not for that fluky slow-rolling bounce-off-the-bag grounder by Ichiro to start the M's two-run 'rally', Gavin probably gets out of this today giving up only 1 run.

So... not a great outing but not bad.

"Brian is, I don't know yet, something gibberish, then the phrase 'pull an oblique muscle', then 'i feel bad for Hermy, he was supposed to have the day off tomorrow and now he has to deal with these guys, i don't think it'll be a DL or anything like that"

-paraphrasing Ozzie Guillen, he doesn't know Anderson's injury yet, thinks it has something to do with his oblique, doesn't think it'll be a DL trip.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 04:59 PM)
At what point does his 1.9 season WHIP become disconcerting to people

If he has anything close to that when the weather is warm look for his ERA to approach 8.

That's the beautiful thing about extrapolating numbers from small samples, isn't it?

Chris Getz is going to hit .340; Carlos Quentin is on track for 64 homeruns. Zach Greinke is going to finish the season with a 0.00 ERA. Etc., etc., etc...

It has to be. Because things are going to stay just like they are right now, right?

wait the sox won? After reading the ballgame was over in the gamethread when they went down 3-1, i decided that the game was indeed over and exited the gamecast.

game over indeed

yeah i said twice

Edited by kyyle23

I think a lot of us knew Gavin was going to regress this year...

I'm still not all that worried though.

Hopefully, we get Getz back on Friday when we start the series in Texas. He's much better than Lillibridge, who is now getting exposed because he's getting more ABs.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 05:27 PM)
I think a lot of us knew Gavin was going to regress this year...

I'm still not all that worried though.

Hopefully, we get Getz back on Friday when we start the series in Texas. He's much better than Lillibridge, who is now getting exposed because he's getting more ABs.

You knew he was going to regress after 4 starts.

I know that overreaction is the norm here, but get f***ing real people. Anderson should have his head chopped off because he failed in an at bat, but then he gets hurt and you want to try and rebuild him. Floyd is brutal because he puts up a quality start and now he has already regressed.

Let the season play out, JFC.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 05:30 PM)

I know that overreaction is the norm here, but get f***ing real people. Anderson should have his head chopped off because he failed in an at bat, but then he gets hurt and you want to try and rebuild him. Floyd is brutal because he puts up a quality start and now he has already regressed.

If you looked at his BABIP and some other sabermetric stats that I either don't know the name of or forgot, he was pretty lucky last year. What's even more intriguing is that he had about a 1 ERA in his first 8 starts and then a ERA near the mid 4s for the rest of the year. Gavin's still not there yet. As much as Ozzie wants to praise the guy, he's not a 20 game winner nor is he one of the best pitchers in league. He has the potential to be one, but his inability to find the curveball at his leisure is stopping him from becoming that kind of pitcher. When he doesn't have his stuff, he'll battle. But most of the time, the battle ain't pretty. I don't think he really had it today, but he battled and came out of it fine. Bottom line: Gavin Floyd, at this point, is a third starter on a lot of teams in baseball. The future is bright, but you're probably not going to see 17 wins and a 3.84 ERA out of him this year.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 05:40 PM)
If you looked at his BABIP and some other sabermetric stats that I either don't know the name of or forgot, he was pretty lucky last year. What's even more intriguing is that he had about a 1 ERA in his first 8 starts and then a ERA near the mid 4s for the rest of the year. Gavin's still not there yet. As much as Ozzie wants to praise the guy, he's not a 20 game winner nor is he one of the best pitchers in league. He has the potential to be one, but his inability to find the curveball at his leisure is stopping him from becoming that kind of pitcher. When he doesn't have his stuff, he'll battle. But most of the time, the battle ain't pretty. I don't think he really had it today, but he battled and came out of it fine. Bottom line: Gavin Floyd, at this point, is a third starter on a lot of teams in baseball. The future is bright, but you're probably not going to see 17 wins and a 3.84 ERA out of him this year.

Interesting...because the main knock on him coming from the Phillies is that he wouldn't battle. He would get knocked around, which would rattle him, and down goes Floyd. He's only 26 and he's making progress.

And, you do realize, he's the second/third starter on this team.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 03:30 PM)

I never went that far - I was the one who suggested some mild waterboarding.