AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!

Greg Hibbard

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 05:44 PM)
Interesting...because the main knock on him coming from the Phillies is that he wouldn't battle. He would get knocked around, which would rattle him, and down goes Floyd. He's only 26 and he's making progress.

And, you do realize, he's the second/third starter on this team.

Yes, he is improving. But that doesn't necessarily mean that his stats will improve since he was really fortunate last season. He got the run support and he got guys to hit the ball right at defenders last year. I think everybody wishes that his luck would continue, but it hasn't shown up yet this year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 03:22 PM)
He should have been a banker.

Or a member of ACORN.

BTW, Herm Schneider's a super-nice guy. Had the pleasure of talking to him for about 20 minutes after a game in 1998.

QUOTE (scenario @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 04:22 PM)
That's the beautiful thing about extrapolating numbers from small samples, isn't it?

Chris Getz is going to hit .340; Carlos Quentin is on track for 64 homeruns. Zach Greinke is going to finish the season with a 0.00 ERA. Etc., etc., etc...

It has to be. Because things are going to stay just like they are right now, right?

I actually exaggerated Floyd's WHIP a bit, it's 1.77.

Your argument is a strawman. I did not say this was going to be his WHIP for the season, I asked "at what point do we begin to worry about it should it continue"

My next sentence was merely truth - should he give up close to 2 hits per inning in June we can expect atrocious numbers from a flyball pitcher in a hitters park.

perhaps you'd like to answer with how many starts are NOT a small sample.

Edited by Greg Hibbard

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 05:40 PM)
If you looked at his BABIP and some other sabermetric stats that I either don't know the name of or forgot, he was pretty lucky last year. What's even more intriguing is that he had about a 1 ERA in his first 8 starts and then a ERA near the mid 4s for the rest of the year. Gavin's still not there yet. As much as Ozzie wants to praise the guy, he's not a 20 game winner nor is he one of the best pitchers in league. He has the potential to be one, but his inability to find the curveball at his leisure is stopping him from becoming that kind of pitcher. When he doesn't have his stuff, he'll battle. But most of the time, the battle ain't pretty. I don't think he really had it today, but he battled and came out of it fine. Bottom line: Gavin Floyd, at this point, is a third starter on a lot of teams in baseball. The future is bright, but you're probably not going to see 17 wins and a 3.84 ERA out of him this year.

I've been over this ad nauseum. His was freakishly lucky in regards to BABIP in the first half of the season (around .214) and his ERA was around 3.30 or so, but regression to the means took place in the second half of last season, and his ERA in the second half was right around 4.15 while his entire pitching game improved.

No, I'm not worried in the least, and I still think he's going to have a breakout season. It's still April.