Scott Podsednik time?

Linnwood

QUOTE (Wanne @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 07:52 PM)
I'm sure there could be worse things in life...

Genital Warts

Rectal Bleeding

Exploding Ulcer

just to name a few...

I'm ok seeing what Pods can do. Hell...try to stay positive that maybe he'll spark the offense.

Kidney stones...that would be on my list. They suck.

Just updated, Swisher now is at .306 with six homers, 18 RBI's (would be tied with Paulie) and 1.113 OPS.

Ouch. Well, at least Betemit contributed to the victory today.

Wonder how much cash it will take to get Edmonds out of retirement? Maybe they'll go with Jay Payton instead. Lofton?

Obviously the Rangers won't be trading Andruw Jones to us right before they play us twice in two weeks.

OMG. Speak of the devil. Swisher, seemingly mocking KW's CF problems, hits another homer and is now at 7 homers and 19 RBI's.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Wanne @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 07:52 PM)
I'm sure there could be worse things in life...

Genital Warts

Rectal Bleeding

Exploding Ulcer

just to name a few...

I'm ok seeing what Pods can do. Hell...try to stay positive that maybe he'll spark the offense.

I'd say Owens is like AIDS, it's always bad. But Pods is more like Herpes, and at least some days it's not that bad.

Roster options for White Sox

By Mark Gonzales

Several players hurried out of the White Sox's clubhouse following their 6-3 comeback win over Seattle to catch flights to their homes for two nights of relaxation.

But some players, such as designated hitter Jim Thome and center fielder Brian Anderson, slowly emerged from the training room after treating their injuries.

The Sox stressed they will announce no roster moves through Thursday's day off, but it seemed more than odd that outfielder Jerry Owens shook hands with a few teammates before carrying his athletic bag out of the clubhouse.

If Owens, who is out of options, is taken off the roster, it could pave the way for the return of 2005 hero Scott Podsednik.

Podsednik is batting .262 with one stolen base in 42 at-bats with Triple-A Charlotte. Podsednik could give manager Ozzie Guillen more options at the top of the order, although second baseman Chris Getz is expected to return Friday night from a middle right finger fracture.

The Sox could shift Brent Lillibridge to the outfield, but manager Ozzie Guillen said he spoke with Lillibridge before the game about cutting down his long swing.

“I just had a pretty good conversation with him," Guillen said before Wednesday's game. "If he does what he’s supposed to do, he will make $12 to $15 million in this game. But if he does what he’s doing right now, he might end up in Korea playing. He’s not using his ability. When you’re a utility player and you play second, shortstop and center field good, and you have that kind of speed, you will last in the big leagues.

"I don’t expect him to hit .390, I don’t expect him to be the guy on this ballclub, I expect him to do the little things. That’s the reason we brought him here. We talked about it. (Hitting coach) Greg Walker was in the meeting. We told him what we expect from him and that’s the reason he made this ballclub, because he can do a lot of things to help us.’’

One player who could be destined for a promotion is infielder Jayson Nix, who is batting .450 (9-for-20) at Charlotte after hitting .300 (3-for-10) at Double-A Birmingham during his minor league rehabilitation assignment.

Thome, meanwhile, will test his ailing left heel on the base paths Thursday to determine if he can avoid staying off the disabled list. Thome said an MRI revealed inflammation and that he took an injection Wednesday.

He said his heel felt better and even took a few swings, although Guillen said he intended to use Getz and not Thome in a pinch-hitting situation Wednesday.

Thome said his heel felt better but said the base running drills would determine his status.

If Thome goes on the DL, the Sox have an array of choices. First baseman-third baseman Andy Phillips is batting .378 with three home runs, 13 RBIs in 45 at-bats for Charlotte. Phillips also has major league experience, and the Sox have room to add him to their 40-man roster.

Anderson, meanwhile, was in obvious discomfort while discussing his right oblique injury that he suffered in his second at-bat. He tried to play through the pain until fouling off a pitch in the seventh and being force to leave with an 0-2 count.

Guillen didn't believe that Anderson could be headed to the DL, but the Sox usually take a cautious approach to ribcage injuries.

Link

QUOTE (chisox2334 @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 08:21 PM)
there's no quick fix here and sorry to say Pods is good option with Anderson hurt and Everyone knows Owens dosen't deserve a chance. Let's just hope Anderson dosen't go to DL.

Podsednik is not a good option, he's a bad option, a last resort or sorts.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 09:15 PM)
Yes, because your beloved Sweeney would be loads better.

It's been one month. Swisher has gotten off to a hot start, but for all we know, if he was still here with us, he'd be the same old crappy Swisher of last year. I also sincerely doubt Swisher will come close to keeping up this pace for the rest of the year.

I'd gladly take Sweeney in CF with Gio in AAA or even the starting rotation over Swisher anyday.

Have we quoted Ozzie yet about his conversation with Lillibridge? Jesus.

“I just had a pretty good conversation with him," Guillen said before Wednesday's game. "If he does what he’s supposed to do, he will make $12 to $15 million in this game. But if he does what he’s doing right now, he might end up in Korea playing.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 10:01 PM)
Have we quoted Ozzie yet about his conversation with Lillibridge? Jesus.

“I just had a pretty good conversation with him," Guillen said before Wednesday's game. "If he does what he’s supposed to do, he will make $12 to $15 million in this game. But if he does what he’s doing right now, he might end up in Korea playing.

And Ozzie leads him off.

BTW if there is any question Joe Cowley is a fraud, here's what he said about Jerry Owens on March 8 ,2008:

"If speed kills, Owens is a serial killer. He is a true leadoff hitter, with Kenny Lofton-like potential. Besides adding 10 pounds of muscle during the offseason, his confidence is sky-high. A tweaked groin has slowed him down a bit, but he should be fine."

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 08:06 PM)
Podsednik is not a good option, he's a bad option, a last resort or sorts.

OK...so what's your option Kalapse? Sorry if you posted it before and I missed it...I just want to hear what options are out there from people posting "this is a terrible option".

QUOTE (Wanne @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 11:03 PM)
OK...so what's your option Kalapse? Sorry if you posted it before and I missed it...I just want to hear what options are out there from people posting "this is a terrible option".

You're stuck with Podsednik. He's the only option, doesn't make him a good one.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 10:04 PM)
You're stuck with Podsednik. He's the only option, doesn't make him a good one.

I understand...but if you say he's not a good option...you're insinuating there are better ones which there really isn't. I'm just trying to look at this as the glass half full and hope he'll come up and really provide an offensive spark...that's really all you can do at this point I think.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Apr 30, 2009 -> 05:17 AM)
I understand...but if you say he's not a good option...you're insinuating there are better ones which there really isn't. I'm just trying to look at this as the glass half full and hope he'll come up and really provide an offensive spark...that's really all you can do at this point I think.

It's not our job on this board to find a suitable replacement. It's Kenny Williams job, and he's failed miserably at it. Too often on this board, people use the excuse of "it's the best we have". That shouldn't make it acceptable to a fan base. Maybe KW will say that Scotty Pods 2009 version is a tick below the Scotty Pods 2005 version.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 11:17 PM)

No I'm not. Being the only option doesn't automatically make you a good one, with Chris Getz hurt Ozzie was pretty much forced to bat Brent Lillibridge leadoff. He was a TERRIBLE option but there was really no other recourse until Chris healed up. You can look at it half full all you want, in my world Scott Podsednik starting in CF for a contender is a glass half full of piss. Nothing Scott Podsednik has done since 2006 leads me to believe he's a major league quality ballplayer, he could play well for a short period of time much like any ballplayer (bad players get hot) but I don't see that as a realistic outcome making him bad option for the CF job especially considering he's incapable of playing the position.

I'm hoping Kenny Williams pulls off a surprise move here, acquiring a real big league center fielder. He's the major league general manager so he knows what's available, wish I had those connections so I could list a couple realistic options but alas, I do not.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 11:22 PM)
Do people forget how bad Pods was defensively? The few times he was put in CF, he was a triple waiting to happen. If Anderson's out an extended period, KW needs to acquire a new CF or put Alexei in CF.

Ozzie even thought putting Pods in CF was a bad idea in 05. That's whats so jacked up about this whole situation.

Besides the 5th starter roulette wheel, the 07 bullpen, this leadoff hitter/CF crap ranks up there with the worse moves or lack of moves he's made in his career.