Scott Podsednik time?

Linnwood

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Apr 30, 2009 -> 05:34 AM)
Besides the 5th starter roulette wheel, the 07 bullpen, this leadoff hitter/CF crap ranks up there with the worse moves or lack of moves he's made in his career.

Hopefully this move means Getz will bat 2nd. The Fields experiment in the 2nd spot isn't working. He's now a slap hitting 3rd baseman with little power. Wilson Betemit needs to get more playing time against RHP, and I'm so pumped he performed as he did today.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 11:37 PM)
Hopefully this move means Getz will bat 2nd. The Fields experiment in the 2nd spot isn't working. He's now a slap hitting 3rd baseman with little power. Wilson Betemit needs to get more playing time against RHP, and I'm so pumped he performed as he did today.

That was the story of the game IMO. He was working counts and hitting the ball down the lines, if he gets consistent ABs he's going to do this regularly.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 30, 2009 -> 05:40 AM)
That was the story of the game IMO. He was working counts and hitting the ball down the lines, if he gets consistent ABs he's going to do this regularly.

He seemed to have more doubles today than the rest of the team has had all season. Wakamatsu did a terrible managing job in pulling Bedard right before the Betemit AB in the 6th. BTW, wasn't it nice to not have our hitter give up an out with a bunt??

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 11:45 PM)
He seemed to have more doubles today than the rest of the team has had all season. Wakamatsu did a terrible managing job in pulling Bedard right before the Betemit AB in the 6th. BTW, wasn't it nice to not have our hitter give up an out with a bunt??

Betemit looked great in ST and then out of all the bench players ozzie gives the best one no PT.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 10:21 PM)
It's not our job on this board to find a suitable replacement. It's Kenny Williams job, and he's failed miserably at it. Too often on this board, people use the excuse of "it's the best we have". That shouldn't make it acceptable to a fan base. Maybe KW will say that Scotty Pods 2009 version is a tick below the Scotty Pods 2005 version.

no it's not...just constantly b****1ng about the lack of putting together the perfect roster is though.

Dunno, but some of you may have jumped the gun a tad bit early on the Swish trade. Actually, yes, many of you did. Let this be a lesson learned. Now Pods (who I'm happy to see on the roster- as a backup...) and Owens will run down balls hit to center. Meanwhile everyone we got for Swisher who has 7 knocks is spitting in the face of that deal. Trading Swisher was the wrong move. I don't give two s***s about how much he was gonna make, how bad he struggled in his first year in a brand new city, what we got in return, at least for now is s***. With his versatility Swisher could cover for Dye, Quentin, Konerko, Anderwise, and even some of the clowns we've had throwing relief. In return we got absolutley nothing. As a fan of most KW moves, this gets an F-, even if Nick had 0 HR's instead of 7.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Apr 30, 2009 -> 12:16 AM)
Dunno, but some of you may have jumped the gun a tad bit early on the Swish trade. Actually, yes, many of you did. Let this be a lesson learned. Now Pods (who I'm happy to see on the roster- as a backup...) and Owens will run down balls hit to center. Meanwhile everyone we got for Swisher who has 7 knocks is spitting in the face of that deal. Trading Swisher was the wrong move. I don't give two s***s about how much he was gonna make, how bad he struggled in his first year in a brand new city, what we got in return, at least for now is s***. With his versatility Swisher could cover for Dye, Quentin, Konerko, Anderwise, and even some of the clowns we've had throwing relief. In return we got absolutley nothing. As a fan of most KW moves, this gets an F-, even if Nick had 0 HR's instead of 7.

LOL! Best part of that rant.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Apr 30, 2009 -> 05:16 AM)

While I love the rant, I hate that people think Pods will run down balls in center. Do people forget the Tinkerbell nickname he was given? He had pathetic range in LF, and when put out in CF, it was no different.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 10:16 PM)

i was cringing tonight watching him swat balls out of comerica. I wonder if the other shoe will fall...or if last year was just a really bad year for him and this deal, in the end, will go down as titanic s***. KW's had his share. 05 still buys him a lot of slack.

While I love the rant, I hate that people think Pods will run down balls in center. Do people forget the Tinkerbell nickname he was given? He had pathetic range in LF, and when put out in CF, it was no different.

I still remember the ball bouncing off his head like it was just yesterday, lol.

Whilst reading the posts in this thread I chuckled, cringed, shook my head, and even muttered a few obsenities. The consensus seems to be that although Pods is not a good option he is all we have right now. And I pretty much agree but do not think he will be as bad as some think. So, IF he is called up and starts in centerfield we will find out.

What made me angry was the complaining of the Swisher trade. How many times last year did I read posts calling for Swisher to be traded...RIGHT NOW!? As soon as the season ended there was gleeful speculation that he would gone. And when he was traded there seemed to be much happiness floating around, even though we didn't get much for him. But the idea that the Sox freed up money was the center of the virtual smile-fest. Now, I have to add a note here...I was a bit sad to see Swisher traded. He did not have a good year, but he did bring an energy to the team and was an okay CFer. And yes, I suppose we can all play 10th inning general managers and wish the Swisher trade undone. But I'm not sure I would. He will not continue playing like he is now. He will have a better tear than last year (he'd have to, right?), but who's to say it would have happened with us?

Finally, the best news that I received while perusing this thread was that Owens seems to be gone. Thank God. Even if he is a decent defensive CFer, he is an automatic out in the lineup. The Sox would be better off letting the pitcher hit and having the DH hit for Owens. Hey, wait a minute? Can they do that? Would that be an option?

QUOTE (Wanne @ Apr 30, 2009 -> 12:09 AM)
no it's not...just constantly b****1ng about the lack of putting together the perfect roster is though.

Joey the 6th grader knew there were problems with this line-up when Dewayne Wise was leading off. He also knew Jerry Owens was garbage. There were lots of options available this winter. The White Sox, despite chairman Reinsdorf's comment that the 2008 team was "not a fun team to watch" decided slashing payroll, despite raising ticket prices was the way to go. Sometimes you do get what you pay for.

KW talks about some aggressive approach. With a division that includes KC, Minnesota and the economy damaged cities of Cleveland and Detroit, and season ticket sales ahead of last year's pace, it was time to put the pedal to the metal. No one is going to have a perfect roster, but to expect 4 or 5 miracles is a stretch.

That said, this team could win 83 games and win the division and the WS, like STL in 2006. The ride just won't be as enjoyable. Thank God they aren't in the AL East. They would have no chance.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Apr 30, 2009 -> 07:29 AM)
Whilst reading the posts in this thread I chuckled, cringed, shook my head, and even muttered a few obsenities. The consensus seems to be that although Pods is not a good option he is all we have right now. And I pretty much agree but do not think he will be as bad as some think. So, IF he is called up and starts in centerfield we will find out.

What made me angry was the complaining of the Swisher trade. How many times last year did I read posts calling for Swisher to be traded...RIGHT NOW!? As soon as the season ended there was gleeful speculation that he would gone. And when he was traded there seemed to be much happiness floating around, even though we didn't get much for him. But the idea that the Sox freed up money was the center of the virtual smile-fest. Now, I have to add a note here...I was a bit sad to see Swisher traded. He did not have a good year, but he did bring an energy to the team and was an okay CFer. And yes, I suppose we can all play 10th inning general managers and wish the Swisher trade undone. But I'm not sure I would. He will not continue playing like he is now. He will have a better tear than last year (he'd have to, right?), but who's to say it would have happened with us?

Finally, the best news that I received while perusing this thread was that Owens seems to be gone. Thank God. Even if he is a decent defensive CFer, he is an automatic out in the lineup. The Sox would be better off letting the pitcher hit and having the DH hit for Owens. Hey, wait a minute? Can they do that? Would that be an option?

I know you can do it in HS and College but someone showed me a rule a couple years ago and the only guy that can be DH'd for is the pitcher.

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Apr 30, 2009 -> 03:20 AM)
Is anyone REALLY surprised we're in this position? As much as it sucks, you could see it coming a mile away once our joke of a roster was official.

Joke of a roster? With Getz leading off and BA in center and batting 9th, I thought our roster was pretty damn good actually. Unfortunately injuries have tkent their toll already.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Apr 30, 2009 -> 07:29 AM)

It would be an option in the NL, of course.

With an American League starter, I can hardly imagine the dispute with the union and insurance companies if we injured one of our starting pitchers while hitting when no other team tried this.

The Cardinals even have their pitchers bat 8th sometimes, and I think Dontrelle Willis PH on a number of occasions.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 30, 2009 -> 07:39 AM)
Joke of a roster? With Getz leading off and BA in center and batting 9th, I thought our roster was pretty damn good actually. Unfortunately injuries have tkent their toll already.

TBH has been saying its a joke of a roster for the better part of the last 2 years(probably longer than that, i just noticed it a lot recently)

It isnt worth the argument

My suggestion as to the pitcher hitting and having the DH hit for the CFer was of course in jest. But it would be humorous to see Colon swinging a bat. If he were to get his gut behind a swing he could really smack the ball. Remember the Simpsons episode when Homer was the homerun king for his company softball team? The slow-mo of his first homerun would be like Colon swinging.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 30, 2009 -> 07:42 AM)
It would be an option in the NL, of course.

With an American League starter, I can hardly imagine the dispute with the union and insurance companies if we injured one of our starting pitchers while hitting when no other team tried this.

The Cardinals even have their pitchers bat 8th sometimes, and I think Dontrelle Willis PH on a number of occasions.

Back when we had Ritchie (shudder), I remember Manuel using him to PH because "he was a NL pitcher and knows how to hit." Yeah, he struck out.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Apr 30, 2009 -> 08:20 AM)
Back when we had Ritchie (shudder), I remember Manuel using him to PH because "he was a NL pitcher and knows how to hit." Yeah, he struck out.

It makes some sense in interleague play. AL rosters carry an extra pitcher usually because of the DH so when playing by NL rules, the bench is a little short.

I'm not about to throw in the towel, considering I thought last year's team was going nowhere and they made it as far as they did.

But really, we're in the same spot we've been in for three years: a middle lineup of aging, slow sluggers surrounded by no-names. Only our pitching is noteworthy. That we didn't get a leadoff hitter/CF in the offseason I thought was pretty ominous.

That said, last year we managed to win the division, so who knows?

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Apr 30, 2009 -> 03:47 PM)
But really, we're in the same spot we've been in for three years: a middle lineup of aging, slow sluggers surrounded by no-names. Only our pitching is noteworthy. That we didn't get a leadoff hitter/CF in the offseason I thought was pretty ominous.

We have Carlos Quentin...he's one of the best players in the American League, but your "synopsis" makes it seem like we are lacking a stud offensive player.