Since the beginning of 2007...

Greg Hibbard

Mark Buehrle's numbers:

68 starts

28-21 record (.571 winning percentage)

39-29 team record in his starts (.574 winning percentage - which btw translates to a 93 win season if extrapolated)

1.29 WHIP

3.68 ERA

I just love this guy more and more every year. :headbang

I know it's a long shot, but given the fact he just turned 30 and he's got hopefully several more years of pitching ahead of him, a shot at 250 wins is not entirely unrealistic and may earn him HOF consideration.

The reason why I wanted to start from 2007 is because I personally think his anomalous 2006 numbers were the result of fatigue from pitching almost 300 IP and almost into November during the 2005 season.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Apr 30, 2009 -> 01:00 PM)
Mark Buehrle's numbers:

68 starts

28-21 record (.571 winning percentage)

39-29 team record in his starts (.574 winning percentage - which btw translates to a 93 win season if extrapolated)

1.29 WHIP

3.68 ERA

I just love this guy more and more every year. :headbang

I know it's a long shot, but given the fact he just turned 30 and he's got hopefully several more years of pitching ahead of him, a shot at 250 wins is not entirely unrealistic and may earn him HOF consideration.

The reason why I wanted to start from 2007 is because I personally think his anomalous 2006 numbers were the result of fatigue from pitching almost 300 IP and almost into November during the 2005 season.

Mark is a very good pitcher, but definitely doesn't look to be tracking for a HOF career. First he's already hinted at walking away earlier rather than later and there's no way he gets to 17/18 wins per year for the remainder of his career. if he only pitches 4-5 more years 200 would probably be a stretch.

That being said he is fantastic and stands to have the number retired if he finishes up here.

Edited by maki

I love MB and a couple years ago thought he could make a run at 250-300 ala becoming Jamie Moyer-esque in his late 30's and early 40's but I doubt he pitches after 35. And he will never be a HoF'er. He should absolutely have his number retired as a White Sox player as soon as he does retire though.

I agree that MB is a fantastic pitcher and should have his jersey retired. Another five years is not out of the question, but I don't see much beyond that. I wouldn't want to see him push too far and end up bowing out on a decline.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 30, 2009 -> 01:07 PM)
I love MB and a couple years ago thought he could make a run at 250-300 ala becoming Jamie Moyer-esque in his late 30's and early 40's but I doubt he pitches after 35. And he will never be a HoF'er. He should absolutely have his number retired as a White Sox player as soon as he does retire though.

This sums up my feelings.

I love Mark, hes probably my favorite White Sox pitcher of all time, but he's not a HOF.

a) it's not gonna happen

b ) Mark doesn't even care about that kind of thing, which is what I love about him. He's gonna play till he gets bored of it or would rather spend time with his family, then he'll walk away and I doubt he'll look back.

Mark Buehrle is the man.

This brings up an interesting point, though.

For the last 10 years...he's been the most consistent pitcher on the White Sox. There has/have been better arms, better stuff, but no one shows up every game like he has. My question is...does or would the Hall of Fame look beyond the numbers to include individual teams. In other words, if Burls pitches, lets say, 5 more years, starts every opening day from now til then, leads the team in IP and quality starts, gets upwards of 200 wins, would he get any consideration as the best WHITE SOX pitcher of the era?

Obviously, the only categories Burls could lead the league in is IP, really, as he's not a SO pitcher and pitches to contact. Getting 20 wins is harder for ALL pitchers these days. What do ya'll think?

EDIT: To include a couple more things...he has won a WS, has been an all-star three times and was 5th in Cy Young voting in 2005.

Edited by CanOfCorn