Owens Released?

wilmot825

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 30, 2009 -> 02:20 PM)
Why would they release him? Didn't he already clear waivers when they sent him down before? Does he have to go through again? I'm sure he'd clear. Why not keep him around in case you need a pinch runner in September?

Give the guy a chance to catch on somewhere and play...we got Lillibridge to PR in September

QUOTE (WSoxMatt @ Apr 30, 2009 -> 02:22 PM)
Give the guy a chance to catch on somewhere and play...we got Lillibridge to PR in September

Every team in baseball could have had him a month ago but passed. Charlotte is just as nice as any other minor league city he may find work in. If the Sox have to pay him, let him play in Charlotte and when September rolls around and if the Sox are still in contention bring him up when rosters expand as an extra pinch runner. There are plenty of guys in the Sox line-up who can use a runner. It could help win a game. He's a waste on a 25 man roster, but when 40 can suit up, he's worth having around.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 30, 2009 -> 02:20 PM)
Why would they release him? Didn't he already clear waivers when they sent him down before? Does he have to go through again? I'm sure he'd clear. Why not keep him around in case you need a pinch runner in September?

He needs to clear again. Problem with putting him in Charlotte is he takes up roster space for, say, outfielders in B-Ham that deserve to be promoted and have real potential.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 30, 2009 -> 02:32 PM)
He needs to clear again. Problem with putting him in Charlotte is he takes up roster space for, say, outfielders in B-Ham that deserve to be promoted and have real potential.

I thought the feeling was that the Birmingham team was going to be kept together

I think the guys in Birmingham should stay there all year unless they get the call to Chicago. I almost look at Charlotte as the White Sox organization's wasteland, although Jimmy Gobble has been on fire lately. Let the young real prospects all play together and develop a bond.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 30, 2009 -> 02:35 PM)
I think the guys in Birmingham should stay there all year unless they get the call to Chicago. I almost look at Charlotte as the White Sox organization's wasteland, although Jimmy Gobble has been on fire lately. Let the young real prospects all play together and develop a bond.

I agree with this 100%. I can't see any movement out of B'ham until at least the end of the first half.

Gartrell is a marginal/fringe prospect.

Shelby needs to be there for the full season, in all probability...he's still developing as both a hitter and settling into playing the OF now.

Lee Cruz and David Cook probably aren't ever going to make the big league roster in the future, although arguably Cook deserves the chance to see how well he could do in AAA, but he's certainly not tearing it up in AA now, hitting .214.