BP on Jordan Danks

False Alarm

Jordan Danks never lived up to expectations during his three years at the University of Texas, and when he plummeted in last year's draft, the White Sox, hoping that the potential of playing with his brother might help in negotiations, drafted him in the seventh round. The gamble worked; they signed him to a $525,000 bonus. After an impressive run in the Arizona Fall League in 2008, Danks has continued to roll hitting leadoff for High-A Winston-Salem, batting .329/.414/.518 while scoring 20 runs in 21 games.

One scout who recently saw Danks walked away impressed, but not without concerns. "Well, you have to start with the body, you have to love that frame and the tools," he began, referring to Danks' 6-foot-5, 210-pound frame. "I know he had a reputation for not showing much power in college, but he's hitting the ball hard here," he added, as Danks entered Wednesday's action with eight doubles, a triple, and two home runs in 85 at-bats. If there is one red flag on Danks' stat line, it's a contact issue, as he has struck out 26 times so far this year, and the scout discussed the way that it's a function of the center fielder's swing. "It's definitely long-ish," said the scout, "and it could spell some trouble for him down the road. It takes him some time to unload."

It's hard to talk about Danks without comparing him to former White Sox prospect and current Oakland outfielder Ryan Sweeney, another tall, athletic outfielder who didn't hit for the power people expected... and who still hasn't. "It's a good comp," said the scout. "We'll just have to wait and see."

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=8804

i don't think their statistical profile is very similar, and i don't remember sweeney having a longish swing, and i had the impression that danks is a much more natural CF than sweeney with quite a bit better speed. thought it was interesting info anyway.

Maybe the comparison is because of the size and frames, although Jordan will end up being bigger.

Danks is definitely more of a natural CFer and has the edge in overall athleticism.

I think you would have to compare their K/BB ratios in their first few years in the minors, although that would be unfair to Ryan, because he came out of an Iowa high school.

QUOTE (False Alarm @ Apr 30, 2009 -> 03:54 PM)
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=8804

i don't think their statistical profile is very similar, and i don't remember sweeney having a longish swing, and i had the impression that danks is a much more natural CF than sweeney with quite a bit better speed. thought it was interesting info anyway.

Ryan Sweeney had 32 XBHs his entire season in A-ball, and that went down to 26 when he moved up to AA (where he only hit 1 homer). Jordan Danks is already 1/3rd of the way to reaching that first total in one month. I'm not worried about his power at all.

Pretty bland report. We knew he was athletic, we knew he is hitting for more power than in college and we knew he Ks too much. I want to like Jordan for the reasons that scout said though: body type and tools. I'm trying to ignore my fears of his Ks, but he has been doing much better lately.

That Danks-Sweeney comparison has to be based mostly on the fact they are both lefites and have similar frames. Cause I don't think their games are all that similar just looking at it stat wise, since I haven't seen much of Danks.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 30, 2009 -> 05:16 PM)
Maybe the comparison is because of the size and frames, although Jordan will end up being bigger.

Danks is definitely more of a natural CFer and has the edge in overall athleticism.

I think you would have to compare their K/BB ratios in their first few years in the minors, although that would be unfair to Ryan, because he came out of an Iowa high school.

what the hell does that mean? /defensive Iowan