Podsednik/Nix Recalled, Anderson to DL, Owens Demoted

chisox2334

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 1, 2009 -> 01:36 PM)
There's no reason not to just like there's no reason to believe he'll do much of anything at the plate or in the field except for, you know: blind faith and the undying magic of the 2005 season.

I also think he could start out semi-hot just to spite me, which I'd like very much. I just hope the Rangers are pull happy this weekend with lots of high fly balls to the corners.

LOL. I like the edit cause thats exactly what I was thinking.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 1, 2009 -> 11:47 AM)
I guess it depends on how much you value defense.

The difference between their bats at this point is greater than the difference between their defensive performances. Lillibridge is just hitting that bad.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 1, 2009 -> 01:45 PM)
I was all for signing Pods and replacing Owens with him. He is better than Jerry, and I hope Pods does well. I really do. The reality is he probably won't. I've been his biggest critic on this board even during his "magical" 2005 season when he scored 80 runs, drove in 25 and had an OPS of .700, and the only thing he led the league in was Caught Stealing. (KW are you reading? Maybe I can help you in your arb cases) You may say his runs are the product of others, and I would mostly agree although driving yourself in does have its advantages. He scored a pedestrian 80 runs in 2005. Everyone would say he distracted pitchers so much that year. If he really was such a distraction, why did he only score 80 times? He only drove in 25. Now you can say that isn't his fault, your teammates have a lot to do with that, but isn't it strange the 8th, 9th and 2nd place hitters drove in at least double that? Pods was 0-7 with 1 rbi with the bases loaded that year. The run scored on a walk. If that were BA, he wouldn't be an MVP candidate but the reason for Swine Flu.

Wasn't he injured part of the season? What would his Runs Scored be if he played 162 games or wasn't on the DL? 100? 110??

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ May 1, 2009 -> 12:00 PM)
Wasn't he injured part of the season? What would his Runs Scored be if he played 162 games or wasn't on the DL? 100? 110??

It wasn't just the DL trip...he basically couldn't run effectively for the last 2.5 months of the season, and it took away his best weapon.

Which is of course, part of the problem...he lost his best weapon and has been too hurt to have it back.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 1, 2009 -> 01:54 PM)
The difference between their bats at this point is greater than the difference between their defensive performances. Lillibridge is just hitting that bad.

I think that remains to be seen, I'll actually have to see Podsednik at the plate before making that determination. If Lillibridge really is a plus defender in CF (which I highly doubt but it's been said) then I'll say that defense in a big center field in Arlington is more important than any offense you'd get out of the 9th hole (though I'm sure Pods will lead off right away).

When Podsednik was on the radio yesterday he sure made it sound like he was anticipating taking over the leadoff duties even though he had yet to speak to a White Sox official.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ May 1, 2009 -> 06:12 PM)
If there was ever a time for some Alexei in CF time, it'd be now.

That wouldn't be any better at this point. Alexei would need to get ready for the OF job and get used to playing there. You don't need to mess with 2 positions when Pods and/or Lili can handle things until BA gets back to CF

Pods has mediocre range, his arm is what scares the hell out of me.

Play Lil' Bridge against left handed pitchers and play Pods against right handed pitchers, I guess...

It really sucks for BA because he was actually hitting for once. Poor guy.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 1, 2009 -> 01:36 PM)
There's no reason not to just like there's no reason to believe he'll do much of anything at the plate or in the field except for, you know: blind faith and the undying magic of the 2005 season.

I also think he could start out semi-hot just to spite me, which I'd like very much. I just hope the Rangers are pull happy this weekend with lots of high fly balls to the corners.

I don't hope that because the ball flies out of that park especially to the corners. The Sox need to throw as many groundballs as possible and hope to God they're hit right at someone. This is going to be a very high scoring series. I'd put the over/under on runs in this 3 game series at 36 combined, and I'd take the over.

BTW I'd much rather have Lillibridge out in CF instead of Pods. We're back to the same old argument of whether you'd rather have a bad hitting CF who can't play the position or an even worse hitting CF who can play the position, and I'm always going to go with the defense there.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 1, 2009 -> 08:08 PM)
Another thing to think about: given how much Ozzie likes to get his new toys into the lineup will Chris Getz get even a single start against a left handed pitcher this season now that Jayson Nix is around?

Ozzie said last Friday that he really didn't want to have Getz face lefty pitchers. So the simple answer to your question is: very rarely

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ May 1, 2009 -> 02:25 PM)
I don't hope that because the ball flies out of that park especially to the corners. The Sox need to throw as many groundballs as possible and hope to God they're hit right at someone. This is going to be a very high scoring series. I'd put the over/under on runs in this 3 game series at 36 combined, and I'd take the over.

BTW I'd much rather have Lillibridge out in CF instead of Pods. We're back to the same old argument of whether you'd rather have a bad hitting CF who can't play the position or an even worse hitting CF who can play the position, and I'm always going to go with the defense there.

Well, obviously I'm talking about weak, playable flyballs, they have to stay out of those f***ing jet streams. This team will kill you with ground balls and I'm still not entirely comfortable with Alexei as a SS, if they're keeping the ball in the park but working the gaps then we're in trouble. There could be more than a few triples in this series.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 1, 2009 -> 02:30 PM)
Ozzie said last Friday that he really didn't want to have Getz face lefty pitchers. So the simple answer to your question is: very rarely
I wonder what his rationale is on that. You have to think Ozzie has access to Getz's minor league stats and scouting reports. Maybe he thinks it's so much harder to hit LHP in the majors vs. the minors that it's not worth undermining Getz's confidence? I can't believe he's doing it solely based on lefty vs. righty matchups.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 1, 2009 -> 12:08 PM)
Another thing to think about: given how much Ozzie likes to get his new toys into the lineup will Chris Getz get even a single start against a left handed pitcher this season now that Jayson Nix is around?

i'll be very pissed if this is the case. Getz earned the starting 2b job in ST and has proven he deserved it so far this season. I hate all this matchup bulls*** w/LH and RH pitching. Getz needs to play, he needs to see more pitchers in this league so he can learn how to handle them. But you watch, Nix will hit a home run and he'll find himself in the lineup more and more.

I hope this is our injury part of the season and not a season-long drama. Get well in May and be fully loaded come June.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 1, 2009 -> 02:33 PM)
Well, obviously I'm talking about weak, playable flyballs, they have to stay out of those f***ing jet streams. This team will kill you with ground balls and I'm still not entirely comfortable with Alexei as a SS, if they're keeping the ball in the park but working the gaps then we're in trouble. There could be more than a few triples in this series.

Yeah, weak flyballs would be ideal if they're not sky high, but realistically I think we're screwed no matter what. We're going to need to get the bats very hot to take this series. I'd rather play anywhere in the world but Texas, even the dome in Minny. No park is less baseball-friendly than the one in Arlington. It's hard to watch a series there and think, "yeah, that was baseball."

With Wise hurt, BA hurt, and Owens going back where he belongs, obviously Pods is the best choice available (unless they had put Cook in Charlotte where he belonged). But I'm with everyone else, fearing that they will lead off Pods, and sit Getz too often. And that would be 100% on Ozzie.

QUOTE (almagest @ May 1, 2009 -> 02:34 PM)
I wonder what his rationale is on that. You have to think Ozzie has access to Getz's minor league stats and scouting reports. Maybe he thinks it's so much harder to hit LHP in the majors vs. the minors that it's not worth undermining Getz's confidence? I can't believe he's doing it solely based on lefty vs. righty matchups.

He's even 3 for 7 in his big league career vs left handed pitching.

2/3 vs Brian Tallet (who shut us down)

0/0 vs Craig Breslow (HBP)

0/1 vs Ron Mahay

0/1 vs Dan Meyer (K)

0/1 vs Bill Murphy

1/1 vs Josh Newman (RBI - first career hit last SEPT)

0/0 vs Jaimie Walker (RBI SF)

How do you develop as a young left handed hitter against left handed pitching if you get no ABs against big league lefty pitchers?

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ May 1, 2009 -> 02:40 PM)
Yeah, weak flyballs would be ideal if they're not sky high, but realistically I think we're screwed no matter what. We're going to need to get the bats very hot to take this series. I'd rather play anywhere in the world but Texas, even the dome in Minny. No park is less baseball-friendly than the one in Arlington. It's hard to watch a series there and think, "yeah, that was baseball."

Remember just how horrible the series there was last year? It was 3 days of pure hell. Even the game we won (Danks start, Logan/Thornton/defense tried to blow it) was horrible. Texas, Oakland, Tampa and Minnesota the 4 worst parks to watch the Sox play IMO.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 1, 2009 -> 02:47 PM)
He's even 3 for 7 in his big league career vs left handed pitching.

2/3 vs Brian Tallet (who shut us down)

0/0 vs Craig Breslow (HBP)

0/1 vs Ron Mahay

0/1 vs Dan Meyer (K)

0/1 vs Bill Murphy

1/1 vs Josh Newman (RBI - first career hit last SEPT)

0/0 vs Jaimie Walker (RBI SF)

How do you develop as a young left handed hitter against left handed pitching if you get no ABs against big league lefty pitchers?

You don't. If we were facing C.C. or Johan or something, I could see giving Getz a rest. But not ALL left-handers. Even if Getz doesn't hit lefties well, he can't possibly be worse than Lillibridge.

QUOTE (almagest @ May 1, 2009 -> 03:22 PM)
You don't. If we were facing C.C. or Johan or something, I could see giving Getz a rest. But not ALL left-handers. Even if Getz doesn't hit lefties well, he can't possibly be worse than Lillibridge.

Were Getz, Pods, Thome and A.J. 6 for 6 against lefties?